1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wilkinson backboring

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dale58, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

Has anyone had Tom Wilkinson backbore their barrels ? I here he does excellent work, and that he stamps all the barrels he has done. If you had him work on your barrels did he stamp his name on them? Thanks Dale

2. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Yes he did.

Trap-4

3. BobHoukOregon

BobHoukOregon Member

What kind of turn around time

4. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Yes he did, and yes they are GREAT!

5. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

The best money you can spend on your game.

6. Juantoomany

Juantoomany Member

Yes he did!..Yes he has!....MX8..Ljutic Mono...Alfermann...All three have perfect patterns...and all three shoot the same POI...He is a master!....

Turn around depends on the time of the year...He is top notch...

Dave

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

"perfect patterns" huh? What it the PE at 40yds?

8. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Some Guys Are Just Lucky To Have A Tom Wilkinson Barrel On Their trap Gun !!!!! Joe W.

9. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Yes,he does stamp the bbls. Have done a before & after on a TM1 with 5 rounds ea of 5 different types of shells. Very noticable improvement on all. Worth every dime. Have a TM1,TMX & a Belgian Browning Lightning Trap. Wait is 4-12 weeks depending on what he has & shipping distance. 5-6 days each way for me. Tom Lobonc

10. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

YES.. he did my MX-14 I called him and made an appointment of when to send my barrels and if I remember correctly it was only about a week. I would suggest you call him and discuss what you want and he will tell you how long it will take. Wonderful man to talk to.. very easy to talk to and explains things very well.

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

RunGun, it's those "trained eyeballs" in action again, right?

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

How do you <i>know</i> its "better" than it was before?

Define, "noticeable improvement."

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Tim, I have had this conversation with RunGun before. He does not count anything. His eyeballs are registered with the US Bureau of Weights and Measures.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jerry

I continue to keep an open mind about this. I suppose Wilkinson's modifications may indeed improve patterns, but I have never had anyone show conclusively (or objectively) that it does, other than to say, "the patterns are noticeably better."

I believe he could probably take a gun that patterns poorly, and make it pattern much better.

But I have my doubts he can take a gun that already throws a "good" pattern, and make it pattern "substantially better."

But before you do all this, you have to answer the question, "what is good, and what is better?" How is that defined? By eyeballing the patterns? That's far from objective.

And I think opinions will differ on this as well.

Even if you use an analysis program like Shotgun Insight, you have to establish what pattern percentages mean "good," and what mean "better."

What I'd like to see, and have yet to see so far, is someone who is going to send a gun to Wilkinson (or whomever) take it out beforehand, run 10 patterns of each type of shell they plan to use in the gun, analyze the patterns with Shotgun Insight, send the gun to be worked on, then do the same thing afterwards with exactly the same batch of shells, and compare results.

But you'd still have to clearly define, "what's a good/better pattern."

What I DON'T get is guys who buy a new gun and send the barrels out for modifications without ever having put a shell through it.

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is easy to see the difference. The number of fliers in the pattern is reduced and the shot is evenly distributed within the pattern. and the barrel shots straight on. HMB

16. lc

lc TS Member

Have a Silver Seitz that Tom worked on. When shooting one day in S. carolina Earl Scripture was scoring and when I got done with the Trap he said Wilkinson did your barrel, he could tell by the way the targets were being broken. I don't know what he does and don't pretend to understand but it sure makes me feel good to see the way the targets break. And there are a lot of All-Americans that he does work for, so can't be all bad.

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

So basically, what everyone is relying on is anecdotal evidence.

"...makes me feel good to see the way the targets break..."

"...there are a lot of All-Americans that he does work for..."

"...it is easy to see the difference..."

In January, "It was a decent pattern, but certainly could have been improved on" but in March, "The pattern showed excellent coverage, BUT the 'hot' center of the pattern no longer existed..."

"Very noticable improvement ..."

OK...here's what I'm getting at, metaphorically speaking.

You buy the new hot Corvette. You drive it for 5 days. You like it well enough, but I tell you, "Give me two months with that car, and I'll improve the performance, and I'll give you better gas mileage."

I give you back the car in two months, and tell you "its got noticeably better performance, and better gas mileage."

You drive it, and you agree. But how do you know? You have no baseline to compare. You never put it on a dynamometer, and never checked the gas mileage before you gave it to me. Yet you agree I've done wonders for your car. Did I do anything or not? Can you rely on your perceptions of how it felt driving it two months ago?

Now, don't get me wrong, in no way am I suggesting that Wilkinson is up to no good. On the contrary, I'm sure he's an honest guy, otherwise there wouldn't be so many people singing his praises. And I'm certainly not suggesting his work is of no benefit.

But I've never seen or heard anything but anecdotal or "eyeball" evidence.

How much better is it, really? In quantifiable terms.

And here's the real question. Can any of you say, honestly, that you believe his work on your barrel has gotten you better scores than you would have gotten, had you NOT had this work done?

18. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

Tim,

I pattern frequently and count every pellet. Tom did my barrel earlier this year...with all things the same (distance to target, choke, etc.) the results were stunning. The average number of flyer pellets (pellets outside of the 30" circle) was reduced from 65 to 13. That's an average of 52 additional pellets where they count. And, the pattern inside the 30" circle was consistantly more evenly distributed.

K-EIGHTY

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

K-EIGHTY

Same shells (same brand and model, or if you reload, same recipe and same brand of pellets?)

20. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

timb99, I think it is somewhat a leap of faith to have Tom work on your barrels. He has done 3 for me and if I get another gun he will rework that barrel. I know that a lot of scientific evidence may not exist to prove how much the improvement results ,but it is hard to ignore the large number of people like myself that believe in Toms ability to improve your patterns. Also my bore is very smooth and does not collect plastic....SMOKIT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.