1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wilkenson Prices

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bjk1972, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Does anybody know approx what Wilkenson get for barrel work? Does $400 a barrel sound about right?

2. Juantoomany

Juantoomany Member

sounds about right!....for back boring....tubes are about $150 more....He's worked on my MX8 and my Ljutic..He can also create a POI of choice..

Dave

3. sjlga

sjlga Member

Wilkinson

4. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Sorry, that's how it appears in the ad.

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Wilkinson watches these threads

6. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Just trying to determine what type of value added on a gun listed on here. I've heard only good things about his work.

7. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

If you click the link above, you will find the only site I could find that one might call Tom Wilkinson's website. No prices but there is an address and a phone number and an email address.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

PS In what "ad" and where did anyone see Tom's last name mis-spelled?

8. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

@Gene, the "ad" I mentioned is a listing on this site for a used gun, Not any advertisement by Mr. Wilkinson. Sure just a simple oversight on sellers part.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I am not a big fan of altering barrels in anyway, shape, or form, and never have been ... I purchased a gun from a guy who had Tom Wilkinson do the single barrel and I will be the first to tell you "I am impressed with the pattern and density of it on a grease sheet" ... I'm not big on patterning guns either but consider finding the Point of impact as compared to the Point of aim something that is truly essential ... I shot several shots on a "grease sheet" to determine the POI and couldn't help but notice how there were no obvious gaps or holes in the pattern foot print on the sheet from 35 and 40 yards ... Initially the barrel bore was .736 from the factory paperwork, now its .742 and the choke is .035 since Tom did the barrel which would be considered a tight full and it shows ... I'm seriously thinking about having the over/under barrels done in the near future to see if I am as impressed with them afterword also ... I guess it was just dumb luck that I bought a gun that was done because I probably never would of considered it until now ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

bjk1972
    I thought my name was mis-spelled a lot. Hopefully between us, we can enlighten folks on Tom's name. <:)

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

bjk1972 , value added? zero

12. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have had 2 guns done by Mr Wilkinson,a TM1 & a Belgian Browning Lightning Trap for doubles. I am very satisfied with both & consider it the best money spent in shooting. With the TM1,I did 5 seperate patterns with 5 diff shells,25 total. When the gun came back,I re-shot the same shells. 25 patterns. In all cases,the holes in the patterns were filled with pellets from outside the 30" circle and made them much more uniform. He raise the POI at 40 yds 3-4" as requested. The Browning has shown the same with a much more noticeable smoking of targets. Tom Lobonc

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Tom, Did you just "eyeball" the patterns or actually count holes?

14. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Have shot a few 1000 patterns in the past 40+ years,my 'eyeball' is well trained. And I wondered that myself. Did an experiment once where 10 patterns were 'eyeballed' then sectioned & pellet counted. All centers were within 1/2 inch of the 'eyeball'. These shot at 40 yards. There is a way to do this. I shoot onto a sheet of 3'x3' cardboard,then reverse the cardboard & look at the backside of the sheet,trying to find the center. The pellet holes show very well. It may take a hard minute or two of evaluation. Then push an icepick thru to the face where I have a marked center before firing. It does work. Perfectly? No. But usually within an 1" which at 40 yards is good. My record for 1 gun is 110 patterns in a 682 O/U. Perfect it surely ain't. But it works. Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.