1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wild Turkey... Round worms

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Al 29, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

A buddy and I both shot decent Gobblers last weekend. Both were 19 pounds, 9 inch beards and 3/4 spurs in Wayne County PA.

When cleaning them up, I just breast it and take the legs. I don't skin them out and gut them or even think about plucking them

Anyway, my buddy decides he is gong to skin his out and gut it. I told him i wish he didn't as I think Turkey guts have got to be the foulest smelling thing out there and easily wreck a good moment.

Well, he proceeds to gut this thing and low and behold its has a bunch of round worms in it. I started to laugh and told him it served him right.

He decided to breast it. Then he was going to toss the whole thing as it skeeved him out pretty bad. It got me thinking and it skeeved me out as well.

My Pop e-mailed the state game commission and they told him round worms are very prevalent in Wild Turkeys and with it being pretty warm and wet they figured it would be a "big" year for round worms.

PFG said there would be no problem eating the meat. Just make sure he cooks it thoroughly as you should with all poultry but there is/was no danger.

It got me thinking about the bird i shot.

It was pretty sick seeing all those worms. Then i got thinking if that shit was in mine and then eating it those friggin worms in my, my wife, and my kids guts.

I already got my wife with the Poison Ivy a few weeks ago... now I don't need to get her and the kids infected with round worms, she would freak. i purpously didn;t tell her about the other bird because she and the kids would never eat anything i shot again even though her whole faimily hunts and she grew up eating wild game.

Chuck it or eat it? I never gutted mine... but we shot birds out of the same flock about an hour apart in the exact location. Odds are my bird had them too.

I am assuming there are no worms, eggs, parasites or whatever in the meat. i never touched or nicked the guts while breasting it.

But... It has me pretty freaked out and thinking about it.

Any thoughts or experiences that are similar and you have some insight?

2. BL

BL Member

Every living thing has parasites including humans.

3. Anti-Fed

Anti-Fed Member

What bl said...There's nothing wrong with the meat, and fully cooked it will be fine. I grew up thinking wild game was the only meat there was to eat. It hasn't killed me yet.

Jed

4. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

I gutted a few of the first gobblers i shot when i was younger and I never saw worms before. The last 7 or 8 I just breast because its just plain easier to clean and like I said, I think Turkey guts smell the worst.

I can just visualise my wife running out of the crapper screaming that she has worms.

Pretty funny sight but... that would be the end of wild game at my place that is for sure.

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Big Al 29

That reminds me since you mentioned worms.

Maybe you can use them for some cool games as seen it the above link.

Foggy

6. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Pretty F'n funny Fogmeister!!!

I knew there was a catch!!!

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

gordy, do you have a favorite?

Eat the turkey's. The meat won't hurt you.

8. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Maybe you can make the worms into a sauce or gravy? Just don't tell the wife or she won't let you even put the breasts into HER oven. Fred

9. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Most folks have had worms while growing up. The most common are Pin Worms. Seems all kids have them until they learn to quit scratching their butt and later sucking on thier fingers/thumb.

10. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Most folks have had worms while growing up. The most common are Pin Worms. Seems all kids have them until they learn to quit scratching their butt and later sucking on thier fingers/thumb.

11. TIPPEDWAD

TIPPEDWAD TS Member

Wrong Sir:
    Parrot meat sucks, it's much more bitter than Spotted Owl,stringier than
    California Condor, and smells much worse than Bald Eagle when cooking it.
    Great Blue Heron and Snowy Egret have 'em all beat!

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

ke4yyd You are certainly right about pin worms. It would be a very rare person who has not been infected. They live in the lower GI tract and when the body temperature drops just a little (sleeping) they crawl out of the anus and lay thousands of eggs and then go back in where it is warm. When the bed is made up in the morning, the eggs fly every where.

Not only are roundworms very common in animals, plants host them also.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
do turkey have worms in their meat
do wild turkeys have hook worms
parasites in wild turkeys

turkey worms

wild turkey breast meat worms
wild turkey worms
worms and wild turkeys

worms in wild turkeys