1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wild rice in ponds?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by g7777777, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Anyone plant this in ponds? where do you get the seeds?

regards from Iowa

Gene

2. Bend Over

Bend Over TS Member

From Illegals

BO

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Google "wild rice seeds". There is a lot more to growing wild rice (actually a water grass) than just planting seeds.

Rollin

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Do you want to eat it or attract ducks? If you want to attract ducks i have founf cracked corn works great. In fact it is the best decoy ever used. Jeff

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in what you all think is the "primo" duck mix to plant. I can drain my wetlands in late June and plant late July. Tried Penningtons "Duck Mix" last year but we were so dry it didn't make it. Any good stuff that can be broadcasted over wet ground or in 6" of water? In Ohio, so we have about 3-4 month growing season after the hatch.

6. g7777777

I have an existing 2.5 acre pond that I wanted to use the wild rice in shallow areas-

When you google Wild Rice seed- you get wild rice that has already been processed for eating- with one exception and that guy charges a fortune by seed number

Wild rice is also supposed to act as a filter for your water and make it cleaner and more productive

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. g7777777

I have an existing 2.5 acre pond that I wanted to use the wild rice in shallow areas-

When you google Wild Rice seed- you get wild rice that has already been processed for eating- with one exception and that guy charges a fortune by seed number

Wild rice is also supposed to act as a filter for your water and make it cleaner and more productive

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

You might get in touch with your local Farm Bureau (if you have one). They are always a great source of information and help. We've been members of ours for almost 20 years. Just so you know, growing rice (in any form), is not a matter of tossing it out there and hoping it will grow - there is alot to it and it could get time consuming.

Just my 2 cents...

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in what you all think is the "primo" duck mix to plant. I can drain my wetlands in late June and plant late July. Tried Penningtons "Duck Mix" last year but we were so dry it didn't make it. Any good stuff that can be broadcasted over wet ground or in 6" of water? In Ohio, so we have about 3-4 month growing season after the hatch.

10. g7777777

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. g7777777

regards from Iowa

Gene

12. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

You might get in touch with your local Farm Bureau (if you have one). They are always a great source of information and help. We've been members of ours for almost 20 years. Just so you know, growing rice (in any form), is not a matter of tossing it out there and hoping it will grow - there is alot to it and it could get time consuming.

Just my 2 cents...

13. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Good idea, but you might do better planting something ELSE! Give Ducks Unlimited a call....bet they can really give you some good guidelines!

14. KW post 5

KW post 5 TS Member

Wildlife nurserys in wisconsin sells wild rice seed or young plants for ponds ,lakes.K Wunder

15. romie

romie Active Member

I have been trying to get red rice to grow in my duck holes.Red rice is a weed that looks like a hell of a duck food and is a perinial.It is not super easy to get started and likes to be disked every year so you have to get the hole dried out.
    Monty McGee

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Monty that red rice you are talking about sounds like a weed we call duck weed that grows wild often times. Is it a short stalk plant that seems to have a whole lot of seeds for it's size? It sure sounds like duck weed. The birds love it but I never thought to cultivate it. We use millet in the ponds we hunt and corn around the ponds. Jeff

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Rice from seed? As I recall, the rice is grown into seedlings, and then the seedlings are hand planted in the paddy.<br>
    <br>
    Click the link for some better ideas...

18. g7777777

The clips on wild rice- actually show them throwing seeds from a boat- and this follows literature

I have actually planted regular rice in seedling form in rice paddies in Korea.

regards from Iowa

Gene

PS- any actual nurseries or other sources would be appreciated

19. romie

romie Active Member

Red rice is a weed that is a problem in rice fields.It is bigger than Millet or barnyard grass and is hard to get rid of in a rice field but seems hard for me to get established in a duck hole.Rice works well if you can control the water and get it planted.Must be fertilized to get a good head
    MOnty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

planting wild rice for ducks

wild rice for duck ponds

wild rice for ponds

wild rice in farm ponds