1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WILD PIG VERSUS .17 HMR .... TEXAS!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rick979, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Sat in my Gator in the rain for 2 hours tonight hoping to eliminate another pig. I didn't want to get my 30.06 wet so I had taken a Savage in 17HMR with 20 grain bullets. I knew accuracy would be very important so when a big sow appeared right at twilight I put my crosshairs about 2 inches below her ear and squeezed off a single round. She dropped quickly.....kicked a bit and went on to another world. Never underestimate the power of a SMALL high velocity shot when well placed. Here are three photos from a couple of hours ago.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

What did she weight? About 100 pounds? Looks about the size of the one I shot down in Iowa a year ago. Good eatin' size!

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Good call on the head shot with a 17 HMR. I have my doubts it would make a clean, quick kill on the stout body of a pig.

4. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Eat well my friend,eat well.

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

A well place 22 will also do the same. Good shooting and hope you get another one soon.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Well sure if you hit them in that spot, good shooting and eating ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. rivercityjeff

rivercityjeff Member

WPT, the 17 HMR is insanely accurate and capable. Think .22 Mag meets modern projectiles and ballistics.

Would the hog have been any deader if she'd been shot with a .300 MAG?

Apparently Rick979 put the crosshairs in the right spot. Good shooting! That will be good eating!

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

A friend of mine is a dog trainer/handler at Sea Island and they have a problem with wild pigs. Each of the guys carry a 22m or a 17HMR and there are so many that raise in the marshes that they leave them where they fall. I know my friend has killed over 500 in the last two years and could not find anyone interested in taking them. Many are killed in the summer and they worry about them carrying some kind of disease. Sad though they are wasted.

I did have a video of pigs being shot with a 17 and 22 caliber pellet gun. As was said, hit them in the right spot works. Jackie B.

9. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

Better than a pellet gun.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pVecBww1vcE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. chipdaddy

chipdaddy Member

Full auto looks cool but is a waste of ammo and no control. But Ted is a little crazy in a good way. Jerry

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

good shooting...just shows that accuracy and placing your shot is king...for the cost of ammo these days those little nasty rounds will take out a lot more varmints for the buck than anything bigger..plus its just plain fun!!

12. The Stive

The Stive Member

WOW!! That looks like a lot of fun. A good thing to do as well. John

13. CalvinMD

It really is fun..and just be careful because them rascals can be nasty and tear you or your pet up if gotten too close to

14. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Looks like one of those Nikon 3-9 EFR Target Scopes on that rifle. Can you comfirm? I just bought one and was wondering how you like yours? ...Rick

15. rick979

rick979 Active Member

3DRAM: It is a Tasco 3X9 scope. Bought the combo for $250. Lotta bang for the buck!!

16. CalvinMD

I have the same gun but with a laminated stock...did a trigger job and its much improved but still may try retrofitting it with a AccuTrigger if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg

17. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I also have the same gun, but with a laminated stock and stainless barrel. I installed a Basix trigger for about $80 and it's a super crisp 10oz.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view┬Ąt=100_1031.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

120 yards on a quarter, first try:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1021.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

18. CalvinMD

They truly are a hoot to shoot...crazy accurate with good glass..thanks Tron..I may look into the Basix

19. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I know from nothing about how a dead wild pig is approached and butchered. Are there health considerations re. parasites, disease, tics, botflies and the like that take a special approach? I'd not want to do the butchering, although I did butcher up a fetal pig in high school biology! Took about three weeks! But the formaldehyde kept things together.

Only medium size mammal I ever shot was a coyote; heck, I was careful not to touch the carcass with a bare hand and scooped it into a contractor's bag w/shovel. Animal was causing all kinds of problems in the backyard.

But...how can the pig be processed safely?

20. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

David, just go to youtube and search for "dressing or butchering a wild pig".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

17 hmr hog

taking out pigs with the 17hmr video you tube