1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wild Hogs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barry C. Roach, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

My 87 year old father lives in Crystal River Florida. He is confined to a wheel chair and lives in my brothers trailer which is in a typical coastal Florida mixed foliage timber. Dad is pretty helpless with some dementia. He likes to sit out on his small porch in his Jazzy wheelchair and enjoy the out of doors.

On a recent trip there I kept hearing a lot of commotion out in the brush and after a couple of days the critter came out in the open. A wild pig.

So far it hasn't been aggressive and is only looking for the corn my dad puts out for the squirrels. I know I should have him to stop the feedings but he has so little else to have some fun with.

Should I be worried and, if so, should I do something about the pig. It's not a farm pig turned ferrel, it's one of those long snouted supercharged piggies. The trailer is within the city limits but the entire compound is surrounded by the trees and bushes and no one could see me if I decided to dispatch the porker. Also, it's a bit of a "redneck" neighborhood and gun shots are as frequent as Saturday night in East LA.

2. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

You have my permission to murder the pig!!!!!

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Shoot the pig and have a neighborhood pig roast. Problem solved and your pop will be in good with the neighboring rednecks.

4. THEKIDFAN

THEKIDFAN Member

I am not sure how to put this nicely other then YES you should be VERY worried. Three words you say concern me very much, confined, wheelchair and helpless! If you are saying your dad is out there alone he is in danger. Please do not leave him alone until that pig has been removed, I don't care how even in town depending on the neighborhood and the neighbors a bow could be the answer but I am afraid your local Fish and Wildlife may be your best bet.
    Again not trying to be rude but yes I hope you are scared, I don't want to go into details of what could happen.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Warm up the Weber and load the Winchester. Get some Sweet Baby Ray's too.

HM

6. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Feral hogs aren't loners. Just because only one pig has been spotted doesn't mean that there aren't a whole bunch of them. They multiply like rabbits. Shooting one pig is like swatting one mosquito then thinking that you've eliminated all mosquitos.

Feral hogs aren't known to be a danger to people unless they are cornered. I'd like to hear the details of "what could happen" along with some documented examples of feral pigs attacking people. Feral pigs are as thick as fleas on a dog around these parts and there has never been a case of a pig attacking a person unless the pig was provoked by trapping or wounding them.

7. Barry C. Roach

Dad's certainly no threat. If the pigs run in packs then shooting one pig is certainly not the answer. The brush around him is very thick and probably the best habitat there is for them. It may be a endless fight to try to eradicate them.

My brother put a solid gate and sides on dad's ramp so the pigs can't get on his ramp or porch and eliminated any food near the trailer. He's named the big gray one "Porky". I called the Florida NR and they are going to take a look at the situation. Other than like living in a fort and staving off the indians or going to the nursing home (and I would rather see him on that porch than in a nursing home) he's happy. If the pigs start to get bolder and/or aggressive. I'll buy that crossbow I've been wanting and spend some time on dad's front porch.

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Crossbows are ok but expensive when the bolts run away with the hog into what could be rattlesnake habitat...pigs aint that hard to kill,..just open a window to your field of fire and set up something to rest off of..a brain shot in or under the ear with a 22LR or 22mag or the 17rimfires will take them out for keeps...they will start avoiding the area if harassed enough..we shot them where I lived in Texas,..I just kept the muzzle inside the window by a couple feet and the house muffled most of the noise (we had coyotes too)...the piglets make awesome pulled pork...gut them and skure them and put on low on the grill for a few hrs basting them with a mix of beer/ worsteshire/bbq sauce...mmmm good!

P.S. Wildlife just releases them somewhere else ..they need to be dispatched even though you'll only put a dent in the population , it really is the only way

9. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Hunting hogs has proven to be useless as far as control goes. Once they get some hunting pressure they will just avoid daylight and only go out at night. Hunting them from helicopters was once thought to be an effective way of control but it didn't work out because the porkers soon learned to go for cover as soon as they hear the whop-whop.

Trapping them can be effective, especially if you use a pen trap. It won't eliminate them but can reduce their numbers greatly. I know a lot of people who trap lots of them and sell them to make some good money. They are slaughtered and shipped to Europe where there is a demand for "wild boar meat".

Whoever figures out a way to eliminate feral hogs will become a millionaire very quickly.

10. CalvinMD

Thats for sure John..no way they can ever be eradicated...only trapping and shooting can at best slow the spread a tiny bit...none here in Md so Fish&Game says but I'm sure its just a matter of time...but definantly a lot of meat there to be had...It sure would go a long way to help put protein on the table for poor and homeless folks ..so when I get to hunt them again on my next family visit to Tx.. will eat a few and donate a few

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

With the drought in the mid-west they are already talking that the price of pork products will go sky high by next spring. The growers here in Iowa are already paying 30% more for feed than they did this past spring.

If feral hogs are good to eat the problem with a freezer full that comes visiting is?

12. CalvinMD

No problem..just edible vermin!

13. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

The only good wild hog is a dead wild hog......

JMHO

Jim C

14. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

If you keep after them long enough you can eradicate them, we moved on 45 acres about 50 miles NE of Dallas in 95 and there were a bunch of them a few of my neighbors and I spent a year shooting them and we haven't seen hide nor hair of one in about 11 years

I kind of miss them they were fun to shoot and tasty, just left the big boars to rot and saved the smaller sows, if it was a small boar maybe, but if they smell anything like pi$$ when were butchering we just fed them to the dogs, they didn't mind

Now we're on a 'yote eradication plan and we think we are gaining ground as we have started getting some white tails in the area

When we first moved here I was talking to an old farmer I was combining wheat and saw what looked like a place where a doe and fawn had laid he said he hadn't seen any deer in our area in 50 years, but this summer we had a doe and fawn that would come out at dusk, and one night a couple months ago I saw a nice looking buck running down the dam.

And it looked like the deer were feeding well off our sweet corn at first I thought it was coons but the ears that were chewed on were still pointing up

15. Barry C. Roach

I don't think you can eradicate them but I think you can cut their activity down in a given area if you stay on them with what ever kills them or moves them out. My problem is that I live in AZ and my pop's in FL.

I don't think the neighbors would want him to do the shooting. His accurate shooting days are over. Hell of a man though. Tough as nails.

[​IMG]

16. Firewater

Firewater Member

Dont want top scare you, but a wild hog,feral,or domestic will eat anything.You said your dad was in a wheelchair and likes to put corn out for the squirrels.If it was me I would keep pop on the porch and let somebody else do the feeding. If he was to fall, maybe get cut or nobody noticed,he may be in trouble.There are stories of pig farmers falling in a pig pen , getting knocked out and the damn hogs ate him.I know that is in a crowded pen, but I would not want to take a chance with your dad.Kill em and eat em. Bbq, poke chops and sausage. Mike

17. art g

art g Member

http://www.press-citizen.com/usatoday/article/1607401?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CNationWorld%7Cs

Enough said....

18. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I didn't read all the posts.

During the Civil War the wounded soldiers were very worried after a battle that the wild pigs would come in for feeding and they did. Dead or alive they would start eating you. People have found lead bullets with pig teeth marks on them. Some soldiers did tell of pigs eating people after a battle. Its in the history books.

You or someone would shoot the pig and or put a fence up so it protects your father from an attack. Pigs can be dangerous. They can also out run a horse.

19. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Barry,

Where in Florida?

Jim C

20. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

If anybody wants to learn about controlling feral hogs just download the pamphlet in the above URL. It contains about everything you would want to know about the critters including, are they dangerous? and can they be eradicated by hunting or trapping. The answers to these are no and probably not.

There is no doubt that feral hogs will eat carrion and wounded animals (including humans), that really doesn't make them dangerous to people. They are also cannibals. If you want to get really grossed out just put some feral hogs in a pen and shoot one of them. The rest will immediately attack the squealing wounded porker and eat him. When they are done (won't take long)there won't even be a hair left from the unfortunate porker. This is why I won't eat those nasty beasts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.