1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wife wants to try trapshooting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by paul7177, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul7177

paul7177 Member

My mid 60's wife wants to try trapshooting with me. I thought that a semi-auto would be a good choice for her to make it a pleasant experience. She has a small build, 5'2".

Any comments on guns that would be suitable and easy for her to operate?

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

1100 or a super x would be my choice. But, Tron will be on here shortly to tell her to get a beretta. lol. Any of them would be a good choice though. Good luck, John

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

First take her out to the Skeet range(bad word). Borrow someones 28 GA and let her blast away with a little coaching. If she finds shooting a positive experience, go to stage 2 (Trap). Search the country for a BT-99 Micro Plus and you'll have one happy camper!!

4. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Gas operated auto to start, Rem 1100 is a good one. 20 gauge is plenty from 16 yds. Little recoil, she'll like it.

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Paul;

The 28 or 20 gauge suggestions are good. The guns will be lightweight and with light loads their recoil, even with stocks that do not come close to fitting your wife, should not discourage her much.

With her size, the main problems will involve the length of gun's stocks with their having been designed for male shooters 5' 10" tall and weighing 160 pounds.

Even a 28 gauge gun is very likely to have a stock that is too long for your wife. Even with the gun's light weight, it may be awkward for her to mount and swing it.

The other problem, the one that could lead to punishing recoil to her cheek is the pitch of the stock. The bottom of the recoil, the toe, will probably stock out too far.

To check a gun's pitch, have your wife mount the gun - raised and then pulled back to her shoulder (inside her shoulder joint.) Notice how the recoil pad makes contact with your shoulder - if the toe of the recoil pad or butt makes contact well before the heel at the top. If it does, be aware that the toe may jab her shoulder or chest uncomfortably during recoil. A shooting vest with a good interior pad would be very helpful.

If the above condition involving the gun's pitch exists, the barrel-rise during recoil may also be problematic.

This is not intended to dissuade you from taking your wife shooting. It's just that so many women do not continue shooting because of the guns they are forced to use, often too big, too heavy, ill fitting and have too much recoil. If you are interested in your wife's continuing to shoot, lesions with a gun that fits will go a long way to make shooting with you a enjoyable experience.

As a final suggestion, pay attention to your wife's weight distribution when she gets ready to shoot. Many smaller shooters put far too much weight on their back foot and get punched in the cheek by the comb as a result.

Rollin

6. Billster

Billster TS Member

As I stated in another thread a couple of days ago, just got her a used 1100 LT20. She tried my BT-99 and it was too heavy and kicked too much for her. Spent a couple of hours at the trap range with instructor on Wednesday with the 20ga. He made it a totally positive experience for her (i would've had her shooting me with my patience). Ordered a synthetic youth stock set for the gun and she'll be set. Looking forward to next week at the range. Good luck with the missus and enjoy!

Bill

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Paul, I had my wife try other womens guns in her "build range" . My wife also is 5.2 My also has small hands. I dont care what anyone says a 20g with a synthetic youth stock is no way to start. Find a womens league or just a club with a few good shooting women. I ended up with a browning gold sporting, semi inletted stock from wenig custom and rollins book to finally fit my wife for good shooting. This auto with the lightest loads to cycle the action has very little recoil, no kick or bite to it. If I had found the Berretta ruduced lenght 3901 with adjustable shims and comb when looking for a gun for my wife, I might have went that way. One BIG problem I had with mu wife is small hands. The grip to trigger length was a bit to long even on Youth guns. As rollin stated pitch is a big factor. The Original stock off the browning did not have the right pitch, I recently changed back to oem stock to show my wife the differences. 1 first thing is she was complaining about getting hit in the cheek. 2 POI was so much different at 13yds my wife was shocked. Now she to knows the diferent stock out comes. If/when she gets a bit more into it I may get her into a O/U thats fitted with adujustable comb and a adjustable but pad. O yeah for got to mention its a bit tougher for Us lefties. <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

8. Rollin Oswald

Flincher100 mentioned an important point I forgot - ear plugs, either foam plugs or something better. I would also strongly urge the use of shooting glasses. A growing number of clubs are requiring them.

Rollin

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You'll be sorry. Trap clubs should not allow wifes (cute girlfriends are OK), or kids under 16 (then only boys) at the club.

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Rollin,

I've noticed as you said that many smaller shooters (beginning kids particularily) have a tendency to put too much weight on their back foot, even leaning >backwards<. Why is that? Do you think it's because the stock is too long for them, or the gun is too heavy, or both??

John C. Saubak

11. Rollin Oswald

John;

The stock's being too long adds to the condition of more weight than the shooter can handle with the forward hand. Shifting weight onto the back foot helps compensate by making the weight more evenly centered over the feet.

Rollin

12. Ready Kilowatt

Ready Kilowatt TS Member

My wife started shooting trap with me last fall. She tried an auto loader but did not like closing the action to shoot (she said it was to much like work) so I bought Her a Bt-99 micro, installed a gracoil system and soft comb. She loves the micro and it fits Her well. She has been shooting extra light 1 1/8 oz loads but I think she is not ready to graduate to a 3 gram load.

13. AAleadvail27

AAleadvail27 TS Member

Yeah , mine had trouble pushing down the release button on the kids 391 and didn't like the slam - bam racket .

I asked on this site what would work and checked with other female shooters who just shot singles at the clubs and the TM-1 and BT-99 kept coming up . I bought her a TM-1 on this site and she shoots in the 17-20s now after about 6 weeks , 300-600 rds a week of 1 oz. loads . This was unthinkable before .

She's anxious to shoot registered now at Delta for Labor Day . I'am proud of her and feel better now that she has something to do rather than sit and watch . I just did'nt realize she was that competitive before .

Bob Semsack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.