1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wife can't hit with new gun.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slugbug1, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

She normally shoots a 30" Ljutic Mono very well. Bought her a K-80 step rib trap with a 30" barrel, and he can't hit an angle target with it. Straightaways hit about 80% of the time. Gun fits,and on the pattern board at 13 yards the point of impact is EXACTLY the same as the Ljutic. She shot a 13 with the K-80, picked up the Ljutic and shot a 24. K-80 may be a little heavier but not much. Can it be lock time or something like that? GaryL.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Wife can't hit with her new gun

Same length of Pull? Choke? Cast? Pitch? Trigger to grip?

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I doubt that the Mono Gun has a 30" barrel. Usually either 33" to 35". What's the overall difference in the guns full lengths - from the muzzle to the butt.

4. 2005Kid

2005Kid Member

Save the money! Sell the K gun and let her shoot the Ljutic!

5. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

Ljutic barrel is 30", one of the few made that way. Overall length of the K-80 is 47 1/2, Ljutic is 46 1/2. Both barrels are 30". GaryL.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

There could be a number of things going on, and it would be difficult for any of us to determine it without actually being there and watching her shoot both guns. On top of that, most of us are not going to be able to tell you what a professional trap coach (Leo, Nora, Phil, etc) could, even if we were right there.

I would let her go back to the gun that she shoots well, unless she switched because she was ready to shoot some doubles, which you can't do with the Ljutic, right? If doubles is the issue, then it will be trial and error until she finds the "it" gun that she shoots consistently well for all 3 events. I just went through all of that mess trying to start the dubs. It took 4 wrong guns to get to my current solution of a combo that I think is finally working...we'll see.

7. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

my guess, lock time is different, this relates to gun mimetics, the patterning board is stationary, play with the comb till its smokes the way its supposed to!!

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Both guns have excellent triggers. The difference in lock time is so slight that it could not make a difference. Trigger pull could be different.

The weight difference of the two gun could be a factor or it just might take a little time to get used to the new gun.

Be very careful with your suggestions to your wife. Husbands, making suggestions to wives, can be at great risk on and off the trap line.

Pat Ireland

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nothing like creating another learning curve with low scores and frustration.

TRASH THE K-GUN and keep what works.

24 looks alot better on paper than a 13.

Shoot well ma'am.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sounds like a perfect plan to get yourself another gun. Buy her something she can't shoot and then keep it for yourself. Brillant plan!!!!! I must work on this one myself. LOL----Matt

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

It is not lock time. Something else is wrong.

Did you pattern the gun or did she? Pattern both on and off a rest? Are you sure it fits and hits desired POI?

Are the sight pictures (bead separation) about the same? Are the beads a different size or color? She may be bead checking. Easy to do if struggling, and if the sight picture is different.

Get her smoking straightaways to build confidence in the gun, and new sight picture.

Did some "friend" change the POI by fiddling with the barrel/rib adjustment screw. I had that happen to me. Fortunately the guy I shoot with is an experienced shooter saw the barrel/rib gap had changed - I never even thought about checking it.

Don Verna

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

My best guess is the phrase I use called shooting dynamics.. That's a combination of how the gun moves to the target..and how the trigger releases once we get to where we normally pull the trigger.. The learning curve.. as I've often been quoted is 5000/10,000 rounds.. A good coach might shorten that up a little.. If the dynamics are WRONG for your wife.. you might be better off going to another gun..

Check the balance point of the gun against what she shot in the past..How her hand grips the wrist of the stock.. LOP of the trigger.. trigger poundage.. trigger creep..if any.. Pitch of the stock.. Was she in a shooting slump before you got a new gun??? (slumps are ALWAYS the wrong time for a new gun)..

How is the rib height?? are the tapers similar?? if at all?? How about the front bead??? mid bead??? recoil pad?? shape of the recoil pad???

One thing I have learned over the years..The difference between great scores.. and poor ones can be as little as 1/32nd of an inch..

Hope you get it all figured out.. We're all here to try to help you.. Good Luck.. Mike

13. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

been there done that, bought a k80 trap special and couldn't hit anything with it. went back to p-gun. thank goodness it was so ugly that jaquas wouldn't take it on trade. jim w

14. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

I have the same fear that keeps me from buying a new gun. My first round of trap was with my Remington 1100 field gun that was 20 years old and had been all over the country hunting. I shot a 20 on the first round and quickly got to 22/23, so I bought a dedicated trap gun, a new Remington 90T. I was shooting 16-18 with the new gun and it took 3 months to get back to 22/23. In the last 15 years or so, I became sufficiently affluent to be able to afford any gun, but don't want to spend three months trying to get back where I was. Sometimes you have to leave well enough alone.

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Stock and gun fit would be my suspicion. A woman has a different build than a man, so what fits for one will not always do for the other. If you have the ability to set up a CamCorder and get some video of her shooting BOTH guns from different angles, it may help to determine what is going on. run it back in slo-mo to see the details. A quarter of an inch here or there can sometimes make a world of difference, good or bad. A few minutes with a GOOD stock fitter might be worth it. Also, as suggested before, a little time with one of the pros might help determine what is going on. I would personally stick with what works. If it isn't broken.......

16. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

My wife wanted to shoot with me so I got her a 12 GA 391 with RL parallel stock and added an ajustable MC and butte plate with LOP. She shot 7/8 loads but did not like it. So I got the same but in a 20 GA. Then I got her a 28 GA Guerini Magus. She could not get consitent with any of them -- but I now got three great bird guns!

Yes, I'm angling to get a her 410!

17. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

slugbug1,

In your original post you say she patterned it @ 13yds.

Might I suggest moving back a touch to say 25 to 30 yds and verify that the alignment is not a tad bit off. My guess is that the gun is shooting to one side. Shoot 3 shots and see where the pattern is.

18. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Try standing still and don't move to dodge the gun when she swings it.

Rock

Jim

19. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have to agree with PerazziBigBore

I have found that a gun the fits and all the measurement are right was only one part. The weight and balance can make you loose targets. I know you said that the K-gun weight is a little more the the Ljutic. It will make a different.

Just last week I went sporting clay shooting. I took my Guerini 30" that I shoot the best and my Cynergy 32" that I shot well for years.

I been wanting a new sporting clays gun. So I need to decide what barrel length to get. What I found after shooting both guns. Was that a 32 " gun was to long and to much barrel weight. The gun was slow to start moving and when it did move it was to fast and went right pass the target.

Just holding the gun and not shooting it really means nothing.
    I think the problem is the weight and balance of the new K80 compare to the Ljutic.

20. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I would guess that it is the balance which changes the dynamics of the swing. You can try weighting the barrels or the stock to change these dynamics. Also check the pitch and the pad. Her mounts may not be consistent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.