1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WI State Shoot Preferential Treatment

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by WonderBoy, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WonderBoy

WonderBoy TS Member

I attended the Wi state shoot yesterday and noticed that the on one end of the trapline that the traps are too close together, therefore when someone on the field next to you calls for a target, one comes out on your trap as well.....very frustrating. Also those are hand set traps, which from one persons opinion, doesn't throw as a consistent target as the automatic traps. So I would choose not to shoot at the end. Today I went to sign up to shoot and was told that I HAD to take the first avaialbe squad, and that was policy there. That squad was on the "bad" end of the trap line so I refused. I noticed it was squad 17, there were defintaely more than 17 squads there, and all the locals I talked to already knew that you wouldn't want to shoot at that particular end. Has anyone ever heard of forcing you to take a squad and not giving you the choice. I understand not opening up a new squad and filling what you have, but at least give the choice of what is available. The targets are over priced and terrible managment, along with the trap help who doesn't understand that yelling down to the setter is unacceptable. Also I have never paid sales tax on targets. I'll never go back there.

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Oh yeah! The compulsory round of State Shoot dung-flinging!

(popcorn in hand...)

3. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Michigan's like that, but they smile when they hand you your squad. Just kidding Big Don. Their random bank draw is one of the fairest sytems out there.

4. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Or you could have pre-squadded. That was open until the 5th of July.

Tim

5. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Is it stated in the program that you have to take the next available position? If so, then why the complaint? We do this in Indiana and it is clearly stated in the program that after the banks are drawn, you must take the next available position.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

So tell me, Wonder boy, how many state shoots have you been to?

I just wonder what vast experience you are drawing on to make your conclusions?

Have you ever set targets? Or marked registered events?

Funny, when we started using automatic traps the bitching was all in favor of hand sets because they threw a "Better" target.

Make sure when you manage the shoot, you have them name it the Wonder Boy event.

HM

7. Jay Adams

Jay Adams TS Member

WonderBoy,

If you would look at the program, you will see on page 3, third paragraph down that "If not presquadded, shooters must take the next available position or squad available in the entry line." You will note "must" is in bold and underlined. I have posted a link to the state shot program above.

This is an attempt to keep all trap fields ending at approximately the same time. You and everyone else in the country had the option to presquad so you would not be forced to shoot on the "bad" traps.

And speaking of "bad" traps, I personally will not listen to the west end traps being called "bad." Some of the best scores in past years including this year have been shot on the west end "bad" traps.

I personally have hand one 99 and two 100's in singles on Bank B and Bank C this year as well as a 195x200 and 99x200 doubles and a 97x100 from the 27 on bank C. Last year I prefered Bank A the "worst" of the "bad" traps where I broke 299 out of the first 300 doubles thrown at the state shoot.

As for cross calling, I will concur. It is very frustrating but there are ways of dealing with that as well.

Sorry you feel some are receiving preferential treatment.

Jay P. Adams
    WI ATA Delegate

8. Jay Adams

Jay Adams TS Member

I had a typo in one of my scores...it was a 99x100 not 99x200.

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Why don't you just go back and edit your original post???

Don

10. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

WOW. Mr Adams is a great shooter. The system of allowance of squads to pick their time and bank asignment is far in the favor of those that can or do so.

It should be mandatory at all major shoots, State, Satellite, Zone and all other large shoots that bank selection should be determined daily. At a random selection. Also if we are to ever begin to keep new and other short yardage shooters we should totally eliminate the late/early posibilities from the sport.

And again, in my opinion, any person that disagrees with this theory is guilty of sport degration. And I have well over 30 years experience in this sport,
    plus, maybe far too many, years of experience. - Jim Elliott

11. WonderBoy

WonderBoy TS Member

For your information I've been to the Grand numerous times, the ohio state shoot, the pa state shoot, the ny state shoot, the mo state shoot, the Las Vegas fall handicap, the mo fall and spring handicap, the mi state shoot, the mi grand and spring team shoot, the az state shoot and grand, the in state shoot and numerous other events at in various states. I thought I would simply shoot 100 registered targets after work since I am currently working in the area. I wouldn't care so much but other shooters were able to choose where they shot without pre-squadding. I am an ohio resident who actually belongs to the the Waukesha gun club. And after seeing the way they run the shoot I wouldn't go back or renew my out of state membership. I can go to a number of better run gun clubs in ohio for a fraction of the price.

Aaron Schwartz

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Aaron slow down they are just over zealous about someone questioning their club. I would agree with you and Mr. Elliot they need to draw for a starting bank every morning. That makes it fair for everybody. It's obviously a local secret that you need to pre-squad.

Don

13. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

If other shooters were able to forego the normal procedure for squadding, you are free to bitch Wonderboy, but this is not the place. Your complaint should have been to the shoot management. It's does our sport no good to bad mouth a club, especially when the shoot management changes yearly. Random bank draws on a daily basis is the only fair way. Pay, play, and shoot.

14. WonderBoy

WonderBoy TS Member

I agree, I'm just saying that if you are going to treat some person one way and another person another way...thats no way to run a club. having completely unequal banks is also no run to run a club. Banks should be drawn for EVERYWHERE, the banks should be equal or as close to it as reasonably acheivable this way that isnt an issue. If it says in the program that you must take the first available position, how can there be over 70 squads and yet 17 was the only one they would offer me at noon. After noon did a whole bunch of people sign up, I doubt it.

15. halfmile

There are many full squads that sign up for the whole week at one time. I don't think management should break these people up because there is one opening on a different squad. If squad 17 had only one opening and you were there by yourself, suck it up and shoot. Maybe you could make a new friend or two.

We had the same thing once in Upper Michigan. Went to sign up, 5 of us came in my motor home, and we said we wanted to be on the same squad.

Old fella looked at us and said What fer?

We said, so you don't have to give one of us a ride home......that ended the argument.

HM

16. Griz614

Griz614 TS Member

Go to Iowa BEST run shoot in the midwest. Thats coming fron a FIB. Now the guys in Iowa will be sore at me for sending all the winers there.
    W.C. Johnson

17. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

a trap is a trap, a target is a target, shoot them and enjoy the experience. life is to short!!! be proud that you are shooting at one of the most historic clubs in the country. some of the best shooters in the world have shot at waukesha. good shooting to you.
    steve balistreri

18. WonderBoy

WonderBoy TS Member

If a trap is a trap, and target is a target, well than that must mean a gun is gun. New rule everybody who shoots registered targets must use a Model 12, no exceptions. Afterall a trap is a trap and a target is a target

19. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Wonder Boy,the WGG & WTA worked very hard to design a program that accomodates 95% of the shooters. No system is perfect! The fact is their coordinated efforts on the state shoot just continue to get better & better. The Wiscosnin State shoot is the fifth largest shoot in the country and from all signs we may actually have a slight increase in the number of shooters versus that of double digit decline for most state shoots.

The Wisconsin State Shoot was advertised on Pre.squad.com for those who wanted to lock up specific traps and banks. I can assure you many of the pat trap areas were open for weeks. So unless you simply decided to shoot at the last moment you got the standard policy of shooting "on the first available trap."

Many of us actually enjoy shooting on the west end and yes sometimes you get a "cattle caller" that can be heard 3 traps away! I'm not sure why they feel it is necessary to yell so loud but they do! But, I have had cross-calls in both MI & Iowa shoots.

I hope you understand our association and the host club did "NOT" due this to punish you or any other shooter. In fact, pre-squad.com has become the preferred method for most WI shooters. I sincerely, hope that you will reconsider and shoot our future state shoots. As a member of the WGC, I'm glad to have you as a fellow member. Please except my personal thanks for driving up from Ohio to compete in our state shoot. Best to you!

Rick Brohmer

20. halfmile

I think Wonder Boy is Trappy.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.