1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why you should un focus eyes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SMOKEIT, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Click on above URL......This is why you should not hard focus on specific point in the field..SMOKIT

2. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Will try posting url again

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

In reality, it really shows when your concentration is waning. When you see only the green dot, that is the concentration required on the target, to break it consistantly. Just goes to show you how long you can actually concentrate at a very high level. I bet that the top shooters can concentrate longer than most, at the level required to see only the green dot.

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I got only go through about 3 blinks before the other dots would reappear. It says blinking or gaze shifts will cause the dots to reappear. This would be a good exercise to do for short periods of time. I also found myself stopping my breathing to concentrate on the dot.

Since this is a motorcycle safety site I think they are trying to prove the opposite of what us Trap shooters are trying to achieve. By not looking at the bigger picture while riding you develop blinds spots or tunnel vision.

This Dr. has a lot more visual phenomenon illustrations.

Bryan

5. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Troxler Effect is only after prolonged periods of fixation. Although some shooters probably come close to this long before calling for a target.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Slow your eye movement shift till you can see all 5 dots at the same time.

I totally disagree using this technique to watch for clays emerging from the trap house roof line!! So would Hirem Bradley or most any of the top shooters in the game of trap!

Flying a jet looking out for other high speed planes is a different ball game!

Hap

7. WJN

WJN TS Member

"Flying a jet looking out for other high speed planes is a different ball game!"

Hap

Not if you stand in front of the trap house. :)

Jim

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jim, I've never seen a mach 1 plus clay bird leave a trap? LOL

Hap

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Dr. LS is working on it...

10. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

on the other hand,if you are flying a jet and something on your windshield isn't moving it is time to think evasive because you are on the same course. Objects need to be moving.

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"...,if you are flying a jet and something on your windshield isn't moving it is time to think evasive..."</blockquote></I>I shuttled in the rear seat of an F-4D over Thailand with a pilot who spent the better part of a minute trying to evade what turned out to be an insect strike on his windshield.

Keller

12. glenns

glenns Member

I like Dennis DeVault's recommendation to focus on the trap house.

13. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Unknown1 makes for some adrenaline, why you are gunshy!!

14. pakk

pakk Member

Can you elaborate Glenns?

15. DanLee

DanLee Member

I focus on the treeline, i.e., infinity. Your eyes will pick up movement right quick, and they'll be at the right focal point.

Dan

16. WJN

WJN TS Member

Terry Jordan talks about and provides reference material for a soft eye. You focus on an area above the house - like out in the distance but not on any particular thing. Maybe it was called soft focus or quiet eye.

Keller - My cousin flew and instructed in F4's in the 60's. He was always talking about reaction time and had no problem driving fast cars about 5 feet from someones bumper.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.