1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why would you NOT shoot # 8-1/2 lead on the 16 ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by daptrap, Jul 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daptrap

daptrap Member

At the risk of sounding foolish, I feel obligated to put this question out there to the trap shooting universe. If there are more pellets(80+/-) in 1-1/8 oz. of #8-1/2 vs #8's and more pellets = potential of maybe salvaging what may have been a LOST target or two then why isn't everyone shooting 8-1/2's (with 80 or so more pellets) at the 16 yard line? It just seems like common sense to me but that is just my very humble opinion.

Don P.

2. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

One word, ENERGY! Larger shot more energy. You can shoot all the shot you want at a target but if it doesn't have enough a$$ behind it then the target doesn't break.

My 2 cents.

Matt Ski

3. daptrap

daptrap Member

I could understand how energy could make a dfference 21-27 yards but would that truly matter at 16?

Don P

4. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I prefer 8 1/2 shot at 16's in the summer. In the winter with the colder, hard targets I prefer 8's.

5. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Availability. Around these parts, only 7.5 or 8 are readily available.

6. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

I like one ounce of 8 1/2s on the first shot on doubles. Tried them on the 16 for a year and my average went down. On windy days I would have more dusted targets that didn't break. I went back to 8s on the 16s and doubles because most places stock 8s when it comes to new ammo.

7. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

If 8- 1/2s are good then 9's should be better by your reasoning. Energy per pellet is the answer. More likely to dust a target with smaller shot. Pattern density is not a problem at 16 yards. 8-1/2s were a fad at the Grand one year. Thats why the top shooters shoot 8s or 7-1/2?

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have shot #7.5, #8, #8.5 and #9 shot at singles. I could not tell any difference. I am able to miss targets with any size shot. I do buy new shells with #8 shot and reload shells with #8 shot for singles and doubles just because I always have.

Pat Ireland

9. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

8-1/2's are fine for 16 yard targets on warm windless days. Not a real good choice in competition where results can play with your mind.

J.F.

10. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I used to shoot 8 1/2 and also 9's. If you are on the target both will break the bird. The problem is when you start to think the game is easy. Then you start missing...and then you start "thinking". That's the problem. THINKING

shoot what works for YOU.

Rick in Mt.

11. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I can see the reasoning of the extra shot and it mayby will make your pattern more dense but if your missing targets on the fringe of your pattern or just outside the fringe I can't see where 8 1/2 will help you. If you start to ride targets energy will/could be a factor. I get all around better 16 yd. and short yd. handicap breaks with 7 1/2 shot. I prefer to shoot trap with 7 1/2 year round, windy or calm.

I realize a chip is a dead bird but I wouldn't shoot it or start reloading it for a chip. I would look at your patterns with the 8's and the 7 1/2's you're presently shooting. Maybe another choke tube or use a different wad with your reloads. put them on paper. Just a thought.

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

After I retired from the Army I did a lot of card shooting. I bought just about every specialty choke I could find to try to shoot tight patterns with the small shot these events use. I happened to strike up a friendship with an engineer at Carlson Chokes and he told me that the smaller the shot size the more difficulty there was in holding a pattern together.

He explained that trying to hold a consistent pattern with something as small as #8 shot was pointless because of the number of distorted shot that left the barrel and became "flyers". Size #6 was about the smallest shot size that would give consistent enough patterns to allow choke tube development to be meaningful.

So why shoot a shot size that will consistently give inconsistent patterns?

MK

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I do use them from the 16 yard line all the time. I like to use #9's for the first shot of doubles as well. No need to use bigger shot than that. Unless maybe it was very cold outside and the targets were harder to break in extreme weather. I don't see that down here in Fl. I also don't think that wind cares one little bit about shot size at all, and does not make the targets harder to break. Well maybe harder to hit. LMAO. Break-em all. Jeff

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

All I use on the 16 is 1oz of 8.5's. I have shot them in all kinds of weather and wind. They smash targets, turn them to dust.

15. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

No problem running straights with 7/8 oz. of 8.5s. 16 yd trap targets are so close, this load can do the job. Use IMP MOD choke. Best Regards, Ed

16. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

When's it's very cold out. I use 8.5's from the 21 yd with no problems.

Ron

17. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I can only hope that everyone uses 8 1/2 and 9's.............

GS

18. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

1 oz of 8-1/2s's crushes targets from the 16 and first shot of doubles. Low recoil, easy to shoot.

If it's cold or windy, we switch to 1 oz 8's.

SW

19. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Are you saying that a load of #8 1/2 gives lower recoil than a similar weight of #8, even though there is probably more lead and less air space in the load of #8 1/2?

MK

20. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

For warm weather 8 1/2 shot is all I would ever shoot from the 16yd line IF I COULD FIND IT!! There are no shops/clubs that I frequent that carry new ammo in 8 1/2 shot size. When I reloaded in years past using Lawrence Magnum 8 1/2 shot it felt like cheating. Hits were consistantly destructive to the target. No lack of pellet energy, targets would explode. Is not that what this game is all about?

7 1/2, 8, 8 1/2, 9. There will be as many shot size preferences from shooters as there are choke choices. Shoot what makes you feel good. A cluod of black smoke makes me feel good and thusly I choose hard 8 1/2 shot for warm weather 16yd targets. To those of you that will only shoot 7 1/2 or 8's: Try the hard shot 8 1/2. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.