1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why would I want a Fox Sterlingworth?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Dec 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I am interested in one of the Utica made guns partly because it fits me and they seem like really good classic guns.

This one is a 16 ga in IC and M with 25 inch barrels. Ugg on the gauge and the length but the 20's are out of reach ($3500 for one mint unit I saw)

Now mind you , I already have a mint Sauer of the same type in 12 ga

I did verify it has 2 3/4 chambers but up to now I have resisted the 16

It is $1795 and in mint shape

I know I can't buy everything and don't really need it but what are your thoughts on these guns?

Ps what is the slidey thing on the bottom of the lug? A locking tab?

thanks

2. copper

copper Member

There a ton of old side by sides all of a sudden on market prices all over the place I have a love for them and the Ashley Fox have engraving I realy like but not real practical and most side by sides kick not and issue for bird guns. Anyhow if I were rich would own more strait grip old side by sides.

3. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

They never "minted" Foxes with 25" barrels.

For %1800 a 16ga Utica gun better have the original barrel length AND be "minty."

That slidey thing is the cocking slide. When fully assembled, as you open the gun an extension on the foream iron pushes the slidey thing back under the hammers. As you lower the barrels the hammers are lifted into the cocked position.

4. 3357

3357 Member

dont be afraid of the 16 gauge, it is a great hunting gauge and shells are still easily found.

5. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Thanks

So 1800 is a bit pricey for it in your mind?

I will have to recheck the length but there is no indication of it being cut

I am not a collector but a shooter and a bird man

What length did they make in 16 with IC/M? 26, 27, 28 ???

6. skeezix

skeezix Member

The fox collectors website has a lot of information on the fox guns.

This is an information page on the Sterlingworth:

http://www.foxcollectors.com/ah_fox/content/sterlingworth.html

according to the website the Sterlingworth had 26,28,30,32-inch barrels. There is also a researcher that will send you the factory build information if you provide him with the s/n.

7. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

A 16ga Fox to a bird hunter should have more appeal than a 20. They are lighter, as they were built on a 20ga frame. A Fox, in many eyes, was the best American Double ever made. You had best measure those bbls and the chamber. Many were 2 9/16" chambers and I know of no 25" Sterlingworths (though anything is possible), so if they are really 25" find yourself a 16ga bore gauge and see if there is any choke left after the bbls were cut. Most of the 16ga guns were 28" M&F. If uncut and truly mint, it is worth $1800 and North of that if it was a Philadelphia gun.

8. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

The shop owner, I won't call him a dealer because he has proven his integrity over the years, said the bbls are original so they may be 26; I didnt measure them and dont recall what he said they were. He is also a toolmaker and gunsmith
    He had the gauges to indicate it had 2 3/4 chambers. It may have bee lengthened but it is also a Utica gun. Were those typically 2.75?

I will drool on, I mean look at it more and pursue the resources above before buying. So many choices, limited funding.

thanks

9. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Most Foxes from the late teens on were 2 3/4". Anything is possible and folks could easily order something a bit different back then, but they generally were not Steringworths. If the shop owner has the tools, have him measure the bbls and chokes while you are there - not to say he's not being straight with you, for I'm sure he is, but that way you will learn a little about the gun.

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Bruce Em, Look at the front of the barrels, the 2 barrel diameters should be touching each other where they are soldered together. A 20 ga. will always bring more money then a 12 ga. followed by the 16 ga. all conditions and options being equal. About 7 years ago I sold a Phila. Sterlingworth 20 ga. 26" barrels, 2 triggers, ejectors, (not extractors) and factory recoil pad (what was left of it) in 95% condition for $2,200

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ah fox 20 gauge

ah fox sterlingworth 16 ga for hunting

ah fox sterlingworth 20 ga with hunting dog engravings

fox sterlingworth 20 gauge

sterlingworth 32 inch