1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why won't dealers trade straight up?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kgun_shooter, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Why won

Why won't dealers trade straight up? I have a K-80 trap special that I wanted to trade in and the dealer told me what he would give me for it. So I told him I would trade for another gun straight up but he said my gun wasn't worth as much on that trade. Doesn't make sense to me.

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Well, they are in business to MAKE money and they do have considerable overhead. You will not find anyone (unless you have a close, close personal friend or relative) in the gun biz that will make a "straight up" deal because they will simply lose.

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

He has to make cash to keep the store open every day. Trading only replaces one piece of mrechandise with another. He still has to do the paperwork and pay the overhead on the merchandise he has in stock. If he cannot keep his business properly operating, and starts doing too many feebes, he will not be very long in business. It is awful tough to make it in the gun business these days, between the Feds and the insurance, I do not know how anyone can make it.

"The workman is worthy of his wage"

4. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

become a dealer & the question will answer itself..dwain

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I think it depends on the value of the trade in Vs the selling price of the gun wanted.

Simply there has to be a difference in the dealers favor to do the deal.

Value of the K-80 Special used is significantly less than purchase price.

You really see this in Ljutics.

There is absolutely not enough machining in the manufacture of a Ljutic to command the selling price they think it is worth. Nor are there any where near the parts in a K-80 for instance and the vast machining required to build a K-80.

Ljutic has quite simply pricing themselves out of the Market.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

That is common practice, I have done it for years.. I'll buy something for $100 or $150 in trade..
    Even on the pawnstars tv show they will offer $1000 cash for some old coin or $1500 in trade..

7. RAScott

RAScott Member

I see what you mean on the lujtics, but they have simplified their product to where it is near perfect. You dont hear of many, if any problems with ljutic's at all.

Therefore I believe, that the fewer the parts and the dependability of the gun and the triggers desirves the price for reliability. And depending on the gun in question kgun shooter did not say what gun he wanted for an even swap.

The dealer must be able to sell the k80 for a profit or why bother being in business?

Bob S

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Considering there were no hooks on that bottom feeder bait, he sure caught a lot of suckers

mia_2008_030340.jpg

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

For years I was self employed. I understand very well how a business needs to make money in order to stay in business. Most gun store owners that I know are hard working, honest people. Just like any other business though, you have your good & bad. I will never gripe about someone trying to make an honest dollar. With that being said, I resent places that sometimes offer such low amounts on a trade that they are trying to make a killing on a deal. I believe, if you don't want to take that particular gun in trade, be forth coming and tell the person, rather than insult their intelligence with a foolish low offer.
    Steve Balistreri

10. copper

copper Member

I f I read correct the dealer said he would buy or give you lets say 10,000.00 for your gun you found a gun he wanted 10,000.00 for and he would not trade even . He is being foolish. Or is over thinking deal.

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

When trading in a used gun it usually works like this, lets say the gun sold for $10,000 retail, wholesale cost of this gun is about $7500- 8000.00
    The gun is now worth about 7500-8000 retail, now the dealer has to make some money so it is worth $5500-6000 actual real money, that is what he will allow on trade for another gun. These numbers are very close. Now lets say the guy says sell it for me. The dealer will take 15% commision. 15% of $7500 is $1125
    and the seller gets $6375.00.

There is a big loss when Mfgrs Retail Suggested Selling Price is what it sold for.

The wise gun buyer will shop around.

Now take a Blaser for instance You can buy the combo for $8100 if you shop around and buy outright. I just recently got a price on a Blaser F3 Un-single only not a combo $6150.00 Cash no tax. Out of state buyer's price.

It is best if you can trade individual to individual.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Copper,

That's exactly what happened. I don't think the value of the gun should change for every deal.

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Do you think you should get paid for whatever it is you did or do for work?

Some dealers are much harder to get along with others but that is your choice

regards from Iowa

Gene

14. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I guess I am the exception to the rule as I have traded even many times. I have even paid the difference in a trade.
    Don

15. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Dealers are different, some have better luck with brand A while others move brand B easier. That makes a lot of difference because you don't make any profit until you sell a gun for cash or at least some cash. Go to a car lot and try to trade a car straight across, they won't normally do that either, same reason.

16. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

Go to Kelly Blue book for cars. It will list a price you will pay when buying from a dealer and a price you will get when you sell to a dealer. Cars work the same as guns.

Stocks and bonds work the same way also. YOu will see an ask (what you will pay when you buy the stock) and a bid (what you get when you sell the stock). The differecne is dealer profit.

17. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

You can make a good deal when the dealer has a spot in mind for a quick turnover.

18. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

What did he offer you for the K80. I may be willing to give you that and then you have cash in hand to do the deal with the dealer. With cash he may even drop his price.

19. copper

copper Member

Well sell to him and then take cash and make deal for his gun , Most dealers I have dealt with were very reasonable some more so. Strange times He is saying I will give you 10,000.00 but don,t want to sell you a gun I want 10,000 dollars . Take my money and buy a gun from someone else. Next sign going closing soon. Get cash from him he is scary

20. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

If the dealer did make 1k on a gun brought in at 5k he only has a 16.7% markup. I cannot keep my doors on at that margin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.