1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why will ban on lead shot ruin trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I am new to trap. Many say that a ban on lead will ruin trapshooting.

Why would steel be so bad?

Will it ruin the game?

Lou

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

No, it won't.

Look at the money people spend on this sport already. It will just take a little more, that's all.

The shitty thing is, once we've accepted steel for shotguns...the gubmint will ram it down our throats for pistols and rifles, too.

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I have been told not to use a full choke when duck hunting because, "steel will damage the choke"...any validity to this and if so wouldn't it hurt trap barrels???

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Remington Full choke hunting chokes are rated for steel shot. Says so right on them. They shoot tight patterns with steel, more like a turkey extra full. I was just shooting gray diggers at 40 to 50 yards with #4 steel shot recently. Used my barrel with rifle sights, because 25 yards and under the pattern was so tight you had to be right on. I shot one gray differ at less than 10 yards and it cored a perfect 1" hole through him.

5. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

what is a gray digger??

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Must be a 4 legged duck that digs holes ???

7. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

If forced to use steel shot, I believe the cost will slow trapshooting down and the scores will likely go down. Having used both steel and lead for hunting, it seems that lead has always killed things better. I presume it would be the result of the higher density, weight and energy retention. But I am no expert, jmho.

John E.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I would think the cost of steel shot and trap loads loaded with steel would actually be less than what we are paying for lead assuming similar demand. Spitter has loader quite a bit of steel and he has mention reload costs that are very close to what most of us bargain hunters find with lead loads.

As far as does it work just as good, well maybee not but it would be better than not shooting. And no, I'm not giving in to 'them', I'm also not planning on giving up shooting if for some reason I can't use lead.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

One hell of a process relearning leads, etc. When waterfowl went to steel, I used a 20 ga. 3" so I wouldn'th ave to shoot the stuff.

Modern steel is better, but I still don't l ike it.

"A good shooter can adjust"

HM

10. skeezix

skeezix Member

I'd think handicaps would be interesting - steel doesn't have a lot of energy out there at 40+ yards. You'd probably have to rethink muzzle velocities and drop weights on shot. - There are a lot of waterfowl loads loaded to 1450-1550 fps to try and get that energy back.

You would probably have to open up chokes on fixed choke guns- your old model 12 with a full choke will have a bulge in the bbl just ahead of the choke. It could result in the retirement of a lot of older guns.

Skeet would have problems. I wonder if Briley/Kolar would be ok with shooting steel in their subgauge tubesets? I've seen opinions that it would be the end of the .410 event. (I don't think you can get steel much smaller than 7's or 7-1/2's, so your pellet count in the .410 would be abysmal)

That said, I think it's just a matter of time and we will be forced into steel.

John

11. Bushmaster1313

Why will the older guns need to be retired.

I am thinking in particular of my Baker SBT, Remington 31 TC, and the Knick I hope to acquire?

12. skeezix

skeezix Member

Steel does not deform when it is forced through the choke. Think about steel shot being shoved through the constriction at the choke, it will produce a lot of force trying to push the bbl walls out to accomodate the steel shot. If your gun isn't designed to handle those forces, you run the risk of ruining the bbl. I think the problem is worse with larger shot, like waterfowl loads for instance, but its still there in smaller shot to a degree. Think of the shot bridging the choke for even a fraction of a second - it only has to happen once and your bbl is going to bulge.

I understnd with older doubles with soft soldered bbls, there is risk of damaging the solder joint because of this force and deformation. I think this is why "they" tell you not to shoot steel through your old doubles.

It becomes a question of risk. If you bulge the bbl on your model 32 or your fox single bbl trap, or your whathave you - was it worth it?

I think steel would be fine in guns designed for it - clay targets are pretty easy to break. But I don't think you want to take a chance on ruining grampa's model 21 with it.

John

13. skeezix

skeezix Member

yup, its already out there

http://www.dhmo.org/

john

14. Bushmaster1313

any thoughts on whether an Ithaca Knick could be used with steel shot for trap?

15. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I've got a Perrazi SC1 (Ithaca) and was told to never put a round of steel through it or any Perrazi. True? If so, why?

Harold Hitchcock

16. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

No matter what you hear and read, steel shot will ruin barrels and chokes.
    Speak to factory shotgun reps.

17. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Frankly I would quit the sport even after 30 plus years. This would be an end to trapshooting for the most part. We need to fight any talk of banning lead from the shooting sports; i.e., treat it like they're banning your guns. BT-100dc

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    acss, quote: <i>"what is a gray digger"</i><br>
    <br>
    Sorry, I keep forgetting gray digger is a common, though regional, name. It's what we call California ground squirrels. They're gray and they dig burrows. Hence the name.<br>
    <br>
    Gray diggers are an invasive pest species here. They displace the far less common Silver Gray squirrel, which is a native game animal. (There's not enough meat to eat on scrawny gray diggers, even though they are the same basic size as their fatter cousins the Silver Gray squirrels.)<br>
    <br>
    Gray diggers often live near agricultural land and tick off farmers and ranchers. Especially when they cause dikes to flood.<br>
    <br>
    Worse, they love prime turkey habitat, like areas with oaks. We'd have a lot more turkey hunting opportunities were it not for gray diggers eating up all the acorns.<br>
    <br>
    So some of us like to try to keep them in check by varmint hunting as many as we can. Because they are a pest, are detrimental to other species, and are agriculturally destructive, the dept of fish & wildlife has no bag or season limit on them. They aren't even a game animal.<br>
    <br>
    And then there are the sage rats.... (Belding and Townsend ground squirrels, also known as gophers, picket pins, etc.)

19. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Is steel shot legal for Registered Shooting? Thanks, Bill

20. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

Steel shot as a mandate will be our ultimate undoing,I think we can design a trap field of dreams maybe cement where all the lead goes down tilted drains for reclaiming.

That was after just a few Sam Adams.

Craby boy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.