1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why we wear shooting glasses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brdslayr, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Today I was at the last stand of a sporting course. I had my gun over my shoulder and two trap buttons one in each hand. The targets were incomers that went to the left and right of the stand. On about the third pair, the target to the right side came off the arm broken. It was headed down and I figured it would hit about right at my feet. When it was about 5 yards out, the shooter in the stand shot the broken bird. A piece about 1x1 inch came up and with both hands full hit me directly in the left lens. The piece was big enought that it actually shattered when it hit. So much for the brand new Oakley lens that I finally broke down and bought this year. Still have 20/20 vision but had to change lenses to finish. Safety pays off for me. JW

2. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Glad your ok.

We had a 5 stand shoot at our club a couple weeks ago. I go hit in the arm by an amazingly undeformed pellet (I was behind the line & pulling). Then in the next squad a shooter was hit in the neck w/a spare pellet. He was actually bleeding. I've never seen this happen once much less twice. I guess all this is why we wear shooting glasses. Btw lenses are cheap. Ha

Jimmy

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

And we have folks who refuse to wear any glasses In Our summer league!

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

JW, Their is no price you can place on your vision!!! The glasses were a cheap expense to save your sight. You just never know how those pieces will fall sometimes. Sorry about your glasses!!! Thank You for reminding us just how important our glasses really are, and how we take them for granted at times. Better luck with your new pair. Break-em all Jeff

Jimmy, I know spectators at the World Skeet shoot get hit with pellets behind the fence while watching the shooters. On a overlay trap/skeet field the fence is behind the 30 yard line OK. So this is over 26 yards behind the broken target. Funny things can happen when those targets spin as fast as they do.
    Has anyone heard of, or been hit with a pellet while shooting Trap??? I've never heard of anyone but??? Break-em all. Jeff

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Frank--where i shoot if you do not wear glasses, you do not shoot. I hope it is that way at your club too. I think its stupid for anyone to not do it whatever their supposed reason. Same goes for hearing protection.

6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Excellent post and reminder to all about how easy it is to be seriously injured. I got a #9 pellet stuck in my neck on a skeet field years ago when it apparently richocheted off a target...shot from an adjacent field. Wear your eye protection! Best Regards, Ed

7. Trapboy1957

Trapboy1957 TS Member

Many years ago trapboy worked the big ata shoots. When a shooters gun didn't go off we the scorer/puller would go to the shooter look at the gun to see if the safety was on and then tell the shooter to open the gun and look at the shell for a primer hit. This was before manditory eye wear and 2 failure to fire rules. You haven't lived untill you see one go off in your face on a break open gun when its opened. Jr

8. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Not only should you wear them while shooting but also while cleaning your gun. I was cleaning an o/u barrel and looking through the barrel to make sure it was clean and no part of the rag was left when one of the spring-loaded ejector shot out of its slot (no, I did not touch it). Hit me square in the eye - except that I was wearing my glasses. Ended up with a broken plastic lens but no damage to the eye. I still think about the ejector coming straight at my eye but now I wear safety glasses when cleaning (besides wearing them when shooting and reloading).

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    While shooting steel plates, a 30-06 bullet hit the edge of a splash crater in the plate surface. Most of the jacket did a 180 degree change in direction, flew back through the crowd, and hit my wife. She was at the far rear of the crowd. The jacket grazed her side, cutting through her shirt and gouging a wide strip of skin off. It then was stopped by her bicep. While not serious, the wound nevertheless bled profusely, and her arm was very darkly bruised for about six inches in length and completely in circumference. She still has the scar on her side. She now understands why I insisted on her wearing safety glasses even though she was in the crowd spectating.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Glad you are OK. Its stories like these that I point to when folks insist they don't need to protect their eyes.

I submit that anyone who feels its their <i>'right'</i> not to wear safety glasses at a shooting club is 1) a moron and 2) a potential law suit.

They will insist "its my personal choice and if anything happens its my fault, and not the club's."

But that's not how its likely to play out.

A lawyer will get in their ear and convince them the club was at fault for not enforcing their own rules, there could be a bunch of money to be made, and there will be a law suit.

If you see people at your club shooting without safety glasses, or ear plugs for that matter, tell them its not optional and don't let them shoot without.

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Eye and ear protection are mandatory... if you can imagine, I have to also enforce some type of footwear. Not often, but on a rare occasion some "yahoo" will want to shoot barefoot.

No shirt, no shoes, no eye/ear protection - NO SERVICE.

BRDSLYR... just a thought, but why not contact Oakley "corporate" and share your story, about how their glasses SAVED your vision. Write a nice letter and send them pictures of your lenses and how you told the world about your experience... just maybe, they might replace them for you...

kind regards,

Jay Spitz

12. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Several yrs. ago while shooting (I'm sorry) skeet with a friend a piece hit his lens also, knocked it out of the frame, fell onto the concrete pad & broke in half but SAVED his eye.

Also with pumps (I shoot a pump) & semi-autos with ejection ports & a bad load where burning powder comes out & hits your eyes is a bad experience, I've seen that happen twice. ESPECIALLY BAD for southpaws with a RH gun. We only have one pair of eyes, glasses are mandatory. So lets ALL be SAFE & have many more days to enjoy our sport. Ross Puls

13. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Back in the 70's a shooter closed his gun while on the trapline and it went off. Gun was pointed downrange. Some of the shot hit the concrete pad in front of him and flew back hitting the seated trapboy in the knees. Trap help should wear eye protection also, IMO.

milt

14. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Seen many times in skeet, shooting and being a ref. One time a person on station four had a pellet lodge in his cheek. Seen a few people drop to the ground on station 8. Some targets in sporting get pretty close before they are shot. The lead seems to ricochet back on the pull of the trigger.

I think in trap the biggest worry would be shot targets on a windy day from an adjacent skeet field, and a trap person shooting into the ground and having stone, dirt, and shot kicking back (seen a few with release triggers manage that). Also, as reported on this site on several occasions, someones gun blows up and its either your gun or the persons next to you.

15. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Glad you are ok buddy!

Bill

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Quote: <i>"They will insist "its my personal choice and if anything happens its my fault, and not the club's."

But that's not how its likely to play out.

A lawyer will get in their ear and convince them the club was at fault for not enforcing their own rules, there could be a bunch of money to be made, and there will be a law suit."</i>

They find themselves unable to perform their job, their medical leave runs out, their disability runs out, the medical bills pile up, there is no disability compensation, and now the mortgage is in jeopardy. They find out that Social Security does not consider loss of a single eye to be the basis for disability payments. Without monetary resources to fall back on, they're forced into a corner and no must turn to a legal solution to their woes.

So when someone says it's their right and responsibility and they will not put the blame on others, I say BS. You cannot predict what you will do when the chips are down. Are you really going to go live with your wife under a bridge after you've lost everything?

17. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Several years ago I tested a shell by firing it into a hard piece of green wood. Guess what, the shot bounced back and some hit me in the face. Lucky for me,I had my glasses on. Most shooters in my age bracket 77 have hearing loss. Very few wore hearing protection in the 1950-60's. Clyde

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.