1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Why we should be armed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SMOKEIT, Feb 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Member

This is very well put.

An excellent article. Our founding fathers wrote the second amendment for a very good reason. Now why can’t the lefties figure it out.

Why be armed with a gun By Maj. L. Caudell, USMC (Ret.)

As the Supreme Court heard arguments for and against the Chicago gun ban, this Marine offered a letter that places the proper perspective on what a gun means to a civilized society.

Interesting take and one you don't hear much. . . . . Read this eloquent and profound letter and pay close attention to the last paragraph of the letter.

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion.
    Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload of drunken guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for an [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat--it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only m ake a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.

People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force, watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level.

The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret.)
  2. cnsane

cnsane TS Member

I call bull $h!+, based on personal experience. A gun does not make you bullet-proof or give you the last word. 10,000 murdered cops would agree with me. However, I carry one myself so as to be able to say,"Leave me alone, here's why". But it doesn't always work that way, and when the wheels come off it's a memorable experience as you are running for your life.
  3. bob easton

bob easton TS Member

At first, I was leery because SMOKIT did not include a web link. It is SO EASY to add a link to our postings.

So, I went searching. It turns out that "Major Caudill" is a mythical person created by some plaigerist who "borrowed" the article from Markos Kloos. We can find the original article at the website address in the heading of this comment. We can find a discussion of the plagiarism at this website address:

http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2009/05/the_mythical_ma.php

While the article is a persuasive discussion about relative fighting force, it does nothing to justify use of that force based on our inalienable right to self defense, or our political right to keep and bear arms.

It is as irrelevant as a teenage boy arguing that his johnson is larger than someone else's.

--
    Bob Easton
  4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

No one ever said it would always work in your favor.

He simply stated it levels the playing field.

10,000 murdered cops have nothing to do with this.
  5. shot410ga

shot410ga Active Member

Everything being equal, he who is the fastest and quickest-----wins, maybe!
  6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Guns are more or less used as a deterent than they are for self protection ... If a person knows you are armed they are more likely to leave you alone and move onto an easier mark who isn't ... I have carried for so long I feel naked if I leave the house without my Glock, not out of fear but because I can ... I named my Glock, Justin Case ... WPT ... (YAC) ...
  7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Too many are carrying. Must Issue CCW will just exaggerate that.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/18/woman-20-dies-after-freak-us-church-shooting/?test=latestnews

Woman, 20, dies after freak US church shooting

Published February 18, 2012

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – 'Authorities say a Florida pastor's daughter who was accidentally shot in the head in a church died Saturday at a hospital.

The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office says 20-year-old Hannah Kelley was pronounced dead at about 10:20 a.m. Saturday at Bayfront Medical Center. An autopsy is pending.

Kelley had been hospitalized since Feb. 12, when she was struck in the head by a bullet at Grace Connection Church in St. Petersburg, where her father Tim Kelley is pastor.

Investigators have said Moises Zambrana was showing his gun in a small closet to another church member interested in buying a firearm. The St. Petersburg Times reports that the other church member, Dustin Bueller, was Hannah Kelley's fiancee...'

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/18/woman-20-dies-after-freak-us-church-shooting/?test=latestnews#ixzz1mqNFgTJG
  8. ctreay

ctreay Member

While you are preaching mskeet tell us where that all white gun club is.

ctreay
  9. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

carelesness, and mishandling of firearms causes accidents, can't fix stupid, the founding fathers whom wrote our constitution, felt we as americans had the right to be armed, well that's good enuf, they knew too well that u couldn't supress an armed public from either domestic or foreign force........dk
  10. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

If I am not mistaken, in Missouri, a church is on the list of places that you are not supposed t be carrying at. Don't know about that state though. Once again though,that was an avoidable shooting. That person will most likely lose their right to carry for life now. You can't fix stupid and you can't legislate it either. John
  11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Loaded guns are dangerous. Why carry them around other people? You put them in danger when you carry.
  12. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

13. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

skeets, the liberal retard as usual is WRONG AGAIN! Now, where is that "Whites Only" gun club???? Take your NAMBLA ass back under the bridge

Oscar
  14. larryjk

larryjk Member

mrskeet410, The way you sound, it would be better if we carried UNLOADED guns. Then we could call a king's X while we loaded our guns and might resolve the difference. You go ahead and do that.
    I have been on the side of being threatened with death and not carrying a gun and then not having any problems when I was legally armed and known to be proficient with what I carried. Even if I didn't carry I would be more comfortable being around people who did carry and would protect me if the need came up.
  15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

This says it all.

[​IMG]

The burglary rate in Kenesaw, Ga fell to zero after a local ordinance REQUIRING households to have a firearm was passed.

Queet can STFU.

HM
  16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

mrskeet410, quote: <i>"Loaded guns are dangerous. Why carry them around other people? You put them in danger when you carry."</i>

When are the mods or site owner going to realize this jackass is an anti-gun troll pretending to be a gun owner and wish him into the cornfield?
  17. bob easton

bob easton TS Member

"...and wish him into the cornfield?"

No. don't. It keeps the place "interesting."
  18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

"Interesting"?

No. We have legitimate Democrat gun owners on this site. Their input is "interesting".

What's not "interesting" is when some non-gun owning liberal troll comes here and starts smearing trap shooters as KKK members, CHL holders as dangerous baffoons, champions anti-gun laws, engages in bigotry, simply because he can. We've seen his ilk every election year, as anti-gun liberals start trolling gun websites making claims how Obama (or Kerry or Gore) isn't going to ban your guns, but then starts posting how some of your guns should be banned. Frankly, I don't know why the mods and site owner put up with this crap. This isn't an open minded discussion on their part. They have no intention of debating. They only want to troll and make attempts to show gun owners as dangerous bigots and racists. And because this site lacks the proper html codes, search engines plaster their spew on the internet, making it easily found when doing a search via google, bing, et al.
  19. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

BIO,,,,they are just little cowards,,,,,maintain courage and we will win, if we can maintain unity and stop letting THEM choose OUR candidates so the whittling of our rights stop.....
  20. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

to all the liberal anti gun morons, one of the safest places to hang out at, is a gun club, duh wonder why...............dk
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.