1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why we are where we are.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hauser, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauser

Hauser Member

The current problems with the handicap system began when the 44 degree minimum angle rule was first ignored and then changed in 1995/96. Its hard to pin-point when the rule began to be ignored in favor of easier targets but several including Neal Crausby believe it began in the mid to late 70s.

The handicap system was originally based on target presentation (target distance, target height, and target angle) and that was tied to the Earned Yardage Table in the rulebook. The Earned Yardage Table basically has two sections.

The first section defines how much yardage a shooter will get for shooting a winning score based on how many shooters are entered in that event.

The second section defines how much yardage a shooter will get for shooting scores of 96 ( ½ yard) or higher regardless on the number of shooters entered. This section specifically regarding scores of 96 or higher hasn't been changed in 40+ years.

The handicap system which was based on target presentation and the Earned Yardage Table work well right up till the time the rule began to be ignored and the delegates made a rule change in 1995/96

Its hard to believe that the delegates at that time came to the conclusion to make the change, and then somehow concluded that change wasn't going to have a profound affect on the sport. They made targets easier to hit.

Obviously there were going to be more scores of 96 and above shot.

Obviously there were going to be more 27 yard shooters as a result of the rule change.

Obviously an easier target was going to be a gift to the better shooters.

Now those chickens have come home to roost.

We now have yardage groups, new categories, 27 yard handicap dominance, and wholesale 2 yard reductions in order to compensate for an ill conceived rule change made in the mid-90s.

As terrible as the 1995/96 rule change was, the bigger error was not modifying the Earned Yardage Table when the change was made.

Jerry Hauser

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Jerry, I agree with you on everything you said. I started trapshooting in 1961 and I am very familiar with 3 hole targets and I prefer them because of the extra challenge. I know that the rules were broken long before the official rule book was changed and I remember our State annual meeting where our delegate asked for a show of hands on 3 hole versus 2 hole and I and a couple of other guys raised their hand for 3 hole and the rest raised their hand for 2 hole targets. I am 73 and I doubt that the Rule Book will ever be changed back in my lifetime for Hole 3 targets but I still hope that some improvements can be made to the Handicap System.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Mike, I feel your correct on any changes toward what the game of trap once was.

That vote or show of hands wasn't doled out when our EC BODs and CHC changed the max of 25 to 27 yards to the common membership for such a decision! Kinda reminds me of the "how to catch the entire herd of pigs with food and a fence" spread across the web a good while back? I know for sure that cheating the rule began by 1981, first time I shot them myself!!

Last official change during the 95/96 target year was the beginning of the end of an era of competitive trap shooting as we once knew. That wasn't the smartest thing or change our sport ever experienced in my opinion.

Hap

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'm sure you guys will also remenber the 2.5 hole target we often threw. When the 3 hole was worn out and the threads were trashed we drilled and threaded another hole midway between both. Am I the only one remembering this!!

5. coyote1234

coyote1234 Member

Dear ATA,

You can make this a great sport again. Simply mandate that 3 hole targets be thrown at any shoot presenting ATA trophies. If I have to shoot 3 hole at state and national shoots, I will INSIST that my local clubs throw 3 hole or they will not get my money.

6. running bear

running bear Member

If the targets are so easy, why isn't everyone on the 27 yd. line and AA shooters.

Buck

7. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Very few things in life remain as they are. Good or bad, it's a fact.

you either deal with it, or whine your life away.

Personally I am wineing my life away. :)

Rick in MT

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Buck, you do realize the average ATA shooter would still have trouble shooting a high average on true straight away targets from post 3 don't you?

Then again, target difficulty and the average shooter was never thought of in the mix of trap shooting, only those mastering our handicap game were.

Hap

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Hauser truer words were never spoken, I agree with OLLIEDAWG, HAP McTWEEKS, and USER1,

I am wholeheartedly for the re-introduction of the 45 degree target that must be thrown at every ATA shoot Period.

The re-introduction of the 1200 fps 3 dram Equiv Shells that are still being Mfgd yet today by all Mfgrs.

Are there any more supporters?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.