1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why was the # of SCTP Head Coaches down in 2008?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by roger8918, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger8918

roger8918 Member

I was just on the SCTP site and took notice of the latest Participation Graph they had listed. It seems that while the number of SCTP participants continues to rise, for the first time in the history of the SCTP the number of Head Coaches has gone down.

Any coaches out there care to share your thoughts as to the reasons?

2. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Sorry to hear that Mike and you’re correct, last year was the first year that younger shooters where not permitted to move up. I believe that that rule really hurt some of the small teams.

3. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Gee, why would the SCTP not suffer when mostshoots were down. Travel costs, ammunition costs, not to mention all costs being up. Most of us only have so much money to spend. Something has to suffer.

4. roger8918

roger8918 Member

I agree John that makes sense, but why then would the kids be up?

5. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

As a previous coach alot has to do with the money to travel,motels,food, the registration fee for a team (trap most expensive),and the fees to shoot. I can also tell you that the changes that the NSSF have made along the way have greatly hurt some states in regard to the "school team" promotion by Bill Christy. Now the NSSF has actually driven a further wedge between themselves and the ATA to the point that the ATA has renamed their youth program to attract many of the teams that have or will be leaving the SCTP program due to their new rule changes coming in 2009. Mr. Charles might be able to enlighten us better on what some of those changes may be. I have heard that the SCTP State Championships and National Championships in 2009 may not even be registered target events. Most coaches also didn't like having to be "certified" at an expensive course that really didn't help them with their coaching techniques either.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.