1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why use under barrel for trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Jun 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I see quite a few good shooters using single barrel guns where the barrel is where the "under" should be and the rib is rather high.

Why are people so fond of using the "under" barrel.

Shouldn't the eye be close to the barrel to avoid parallax?
    Other than targets what am I missing?

2. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Nov 9, 2008
    The eye needs to be close to the rib; the distance between the bore and the rib is irrelevant as long as the angle of the rib relative to the barrel describes the point of impact at the desired distance and the rib is directly above the barrel (not canted to the side) when the shot is fired.

I shoot an un-single because the force of the recoil is directed closer to the center of the receiver and the butt pad which makes the felt recoil both less and more manageable than from a top single.

Carol Lister
  3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Shawnee, Kansas, USA
    To a large degree, it is personal preference.

Some like the taller rib because the barrel is further out of the way and allows a little better field of vision with the off eye.

It may also help to have the sighting plane further away from the barrel to keep heat waves out of your field of vision.

Some just think an unsingle with a tall rib looks cool.
  4. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Apr 6, 2008

You wrote:

"good manners would have you using new factory sts, gold medal or aa's not the cheap shit from wally world. good manners also has you not putting dents/scratches or wearing rings while shooting it."

Well said. I am glad there are others that feel that way about using others property, especially guns.

5. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I must have missed something.....LOL

shoot well and have fun.....Rickyd
  6. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Top barrel is the heat sink so its usually choked less than the top barrel.

Unsingle ribs help you see less gun more target so you stop bead checking and stuff like that, Unsingle is more in line with the shooter's core, and unsingle's take the heat waves out of sight.

I used to hate those damned heat waves when I was shooting my Citori.

Shooting 100 targets a pop in the summer can put out some serious heat waves.

I get no heat waves in the summertime with my K80 using the unsingle.

It makes you look the part too if you are into that kind of stuff.
  7. JPettengill

JPettengill TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    It generally kicks less to shoot the lower barrel.

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Lou, I just look like a old guy shooting a antigue Ithaca,getting the crap kicked out of me. But I like it. Bill
  9. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Percentage wise more shooters will shoot their over barrel better than their bottom barrel

Not all shooters can shoot an unsingle- having said that look at the scores Ray, Harlan,and Ricky break with theirs.
  10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Bush, the general mantra is threefold; it is believed that recoil from a lower barrel will be more straight back while the upper barrel position will tend to create some muzzle rise and potential recoil sensation because of it's position relative to the shoulder; then it's believed that most shooters will see the target leave the trap house sooner with an "unsingle" since the barrel is that much lower than the eye and there are fewer vision impediments; then many complain of the heat waves off a high barrel that gets heated up during events. Some folks can't make an unsingle work well and others think it's the best thing since apple crisp. I've owned and shot topsingles, unsingles, and now a midsingle gun and frankly can hardly tell the difference in recoil, vision, and focus on birds not heat waves.

With the O/U, you will often see that lower barrels will shoot a little high while the upper barrel tends to be more flat and this design, in a trap gun, is intended to assist in hitting the fast rising first bird with the lower barrel and take the slower rising 2nd target with the upper. Generally the lower barrel has a more open choke than the the top barrel allegedly to assist in hitting the close first bird and reach out to the distant second bird. The bottom line is to test drive any and all interesting guns and see if one stands out to you as the style that works best.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

do you use the upper or lower barrel when shooting trap

under barrel tra