1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Trapshooting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AllAmer4, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AllAmer4

AllAmer4 Member

The intro to our upcoming book for parents of new youth trapshooters is titled "Why Trapshooting?". If you answer this question, we'll select a few of the best to include in our book. Please leave your answer on our Facebook page, if possible (link above). Thanks.

An excerpt from this chapter is included below:

"While nearly every other sport requires superior height, strength, speed, and/or power to be successful, trapshooting does not. The beauty of the sport is that men and women, young and old, short and tall - they all compete on an equal footing and there is no perfect physical build. What it does require, however, is a strong mental makeup, and THAT is what translates to continued success throughout life....."

Why should kids and their parents choose trapshooting over the other sports available?

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Well, got to agree and disagree. Strong mental makeup for sure but if you're built like a fireplug, have no neck, you stand a lot better chance of making a living (or at least filling your trophy cabinet) as a trapshooter. Just waddle out, stick the back end of the gun in the fold between your jaw and your shoulder and pull the trigger when you see the bird.

3. pakk

pakk Member

This is why I enjoy trap shooting. I know I am the only limiting factor.

4. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Not everybody goes to a trapshoot to be the Tiger Woods of the game. Many get great pleasure associating with sportsmen who have similar interests.

It's a very broad subject.

5. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

What new book? by whom?

6. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Why trapshooting? How many professional athletes are still playing in their 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's? None, as far as I know.

Trapshooting is a lifelong sport, hobby and possibly, profession.

John E.

7. JRW

JRW Member

When I graduated from high school and went to work. Two coworkers got me involved in Trap, and Skeet. I grew to like Trap and as my job allowed I traveled to other States, where I met fellow shooters. I now have many friends all over th U.S. Jerry in MI.

8. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

We I grew up the TV was Black and White and OFF most of the day. As kids we played outside, the baseball field was in the local farmer's field, and swimming was in the local brook. Shooting because of Boy Scouts, and Trap cuz I could ride my bike to watch them shoot. Trap because of the men and women that I shoot with, the fun of reloading, and trying my darndest to move from the 20 yd line or shoot good ATA scores....it is all fun!

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I don't Facebook.. so glean my comments from here if they're applicable...

I started bringing my grandchildren to the range in their earliest formative years (5/7), to explore and color in the clubhouse... they looked at the guns in the rack, but never touched. My Grandson would squat outside the fence and watch the shooters from under a tree... exposure to trapshooting demystified firearms... but also allowed a familiarity which countered fear of guns.

As they grow older, the kids work the counter with me... learning to be socially respectful with adults - saying hello, asking interactive questions - if they were members, need shells or just targets... they've learned to handle money, operate a cash register and make change while calling squads to fields - thanking the men and ladies for their business and asking if they had a nice time at the range...

The kids help me self-load... they watch and participate in the systematic process of building a shell. When we mess up and don't pay attention - we clean up the mess together and learn from our mistakes together...

My Grandson broker his first targets recently, my Granddaughter can't wait to get a little bigger and stronger to hold a shotgun, for her turn... they learn to fail, by missing targets - not every pull is a winner... they see adults fail and that its OK to not be perfect and strive for doing better... and seeing the congratulations and handshakes when the rare perfect score is made... they recognize its a privilege to participate in an "adult" activity...

Trapshooting is an excellent sport to teach young people how to interact and socialize with adults and other young people...

My GKs play soccer, swim, baseball, karate... but I feel they get more from the experience at the range, than all the others combined...

Respectfully offered

Jay

10. reddbudd

reddbudd Well-Known Member

As a kid hunting deer it took five or six years to get to pull the trigger. Once I found trap I get to make it go bang twentyfive times every time I step up to the line. Bud Edwards

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Trapshooting is to a shotgunner the same thing that gopher huntin' is to a rifleman. You don't get sore-footed walkin' around all day and you don't get all bloody cleanin' the darn things......you just shoot 'em and leave 'em lay.

12. AllAmer4

AllAmer4 Member

Spitter - there's a lot to be said for your comments regarding interacting with adults. I didn't appreciate this until I got older.

13. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

As a young man I played hundreds of football games and thousands of baseball games. Both sports taught me valuable lessons, but, I am now an old man and nobody ever calls wanting a linebacker this weekend or a first baseman next Saturday! I do, however, get invited to shoot a round of trap, a round of golf, to go fishing for a day, or go to the gym for a workout! Play team sports if you wish, but know that individual sports are activities for a lifetime!!!!
    Martinpicker

14. todd farris

todd farris TS Member

I totally agree with Spitter as I started shooting as a kid with the 4H. To add to the discussion, I believe it taught me respect for my elders, respect for my peers, how to interact with people of all ages and background, goal setting and RESPONSIBILITY! As well, I learned how to take instruction and utilize it as well as being able to sift through info from those that think they know and those that do know.

As for barfin's statement, I played soccer and baseball and for physical exercise you might be right but shotgun sports allows those that don't have stick and ball talents to excel and feel the thrill of victory without being the fastest runner or strongest player on the field!

Todd
    1987 Texas 4H State HOA Champ

15. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

I think first it is a sport that the family can do together,... but as a person that strted with my dad and grandfather years ago... It taught me sportsmenship... respect and how to handle myself in stressful situations , haow to overcome the fears you have when the shoot off is on the line... it is both a team and individual sport.... so it teaches you how to work with others and to stand alone... and let's face it it takes a village to raise a child ,,, what better place to do that is with the best people in the world !!!! Trapshooters are the kindest loving people ... they have been my family for years and my kids were raised around them and they are super kids!!!

16. dhip

dhip Active Member

I use to watch the Davey Crckett series on Disney when I was young.Always enjoyed seeing someone call him and Ol' Bess out on the targets.I like to think trap shooting brings the Davey Crockett out in all of us.I know,some will say rifle target shooting would be closer.But,,,shooting a moving target is harder,,LOL.

Doug H.

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I prefer trapshooting because unlike bowling you don't have to change your shoes, but bowling is a lot cheaper ... Bowling is also air conditioned for your comfort where as standing in the hot sun all day can be a health hazard and has taken its toll on many shooters in the past ... Then there is the thing about being able to have a beer or cocktail while bowling and its against the rules while trapshooting (Honor system) ... If you talk to Trapwife who posted above she can probably give you some input, her Husband is probably the greatest shooter of all time ... (Google: Leo Harrison III to see what I mean ) ... Let me know if you are ever going to write a book on bowling, maybe I can give you a little input ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.