1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why....Trap & Field?.........................

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by biff, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

While waiting for my March copy of Trap & Field, I wondered why it is named Trap & Field. It appears to me to be exclusively about trapshooting and trap shoots; I don't recall ever reading any articles about hunting or field events.

If Trap & Field were to change it's name what might be a better or more definitive name for the magazine? How about "Trapshooting",or "Trap Shooter", or "American Trapshooter"(might not be fair to our Canadian friends). Can any of you come up with a new name for Trap & Field; it HAS had a different name in the past. Biff

2. david

david Member

The magazine I think started as "Sports Afield" back in the 20's maybe earlier.

David

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

David, shouldn't that be "Sportsman's Review?" Maybe "Sporsmens' Review?"

Neil

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Very few of the Fudd magazines appeal to me anyway, like Field & Stream.

5. david

david Member

Neil, you are right it was Sportsman’s Review, Trap & Field’s predecessor. I had it mixed up with Jimmy Robinson writing for Sports Afield.

6. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

My guess is that its has something to do with the trap FIELD where we shoot the targets that come out of the TRAP.

This is what their website says; http://www.trapandfield.com/history.html

"In late 1955, W. J. (Jack) Holliday bought the magazine. With the first issue in 1956, he changed the name to TRAP & FIELD to more closely reflect the content toward which the emphasis had shifted over the decades. Holliday also moved the magazine from Cincinnati to Indianapolis, Ind.

Two years later, Holliday sold the magazine to Beurt SerVaas, an Indianapolis businessman, who has owned it since."

Dicksie

7. Bigbird

Bigbird TS Member

Trap & Field got it's name when the publisher has to field all the monthly phone calls & emails from subscribers wondering why their magazine or avg. book hasn't arrived yet.

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

Not to hijack the thread -but why is this game called Trap shooting?

Don

9. Trap4

Trap4 Member

I believe the game originally started with live birds being put into traps and the reason we normally call pull is that a person would pull a rope or whatever to open the trap up so the bird would fly out. Could be wrong , but am almost certain I read this in probably the Book I bought at the Grand a few years ago.

Trap-4

10. biff

biff Active Member

Well......................what about the inside of Trap & Field? What would you like to see included each month? I like the articles by Kiner, Hoppe, Keyes, Basham, Greevy,and Jax journal along with the couple who travelled around and did an article about the different trap clubs.

How about a very knowledgable person to run an unbiased test on a newly released new gun; or some item useful for trapshooting ie. bag, shoes, vest, glasses/lens color, shells, or anything people especially new shooters would find helpful. Maybe an interview with a top shooter or a colorful character; I always enjoyed the late Dick Baldwin's articles about trapshooting of yesterday. Does anyone have any other ideas or thoughts on this topic? I'm not being critical of Trap & Field in any way, I just know TS.Com ers have lots of thoughts about almoat every topic! Biff

11. jerry chipman

jerry chipman Member

It's been so long since I've received a new issue, longest time between issues in 35 years that I can remember. Maybe it will come today! Jerry

12. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Biff, I also subscribe to Shotgun Sports they have some of the articles you described each month, both magazines are well worth the money.

Trap-4

13. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

How about someone like Dan Orlich with a column "Memories" I'll bet he could keep you interested for awhile. Todays stars are busy staying on top..let's look at the people that paved the way. I always enjoyed Dick Baldwin's articles about some of the colorful characters from the past.

Big Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.