1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Titanium ?

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by amboy49, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

What's the benefit of the titanium choke tubes for a Krieghoff over the standard chokes ? I see the titanium tubes in some folks guns, but other than the "snob" appeal of being able to tell someone how much more they cost what's the benefit ?

2. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have K-guns with tubes and bbls with no tubes---I like the non-tube bbls better---Shoot just as good and eaiser to maintain---The titanium don't impress me but it must make some think they do better with them---To each its own---I watch Kay Ohye shoot a K-gun and don't remember him with titanium---
    JMT---SJB---

3. zeroed4x

zeroed4x TS Member

Titanium cost a lot, it looks pretty and therefor it must preform better than all other chokes ever previously invented. With a name like Titanium its got to be good.

It makes the manufacture lots of profit and makes the buyer/user look like they are better shooters and really smart.

Don't waste your money on that horseshit.

4. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Lighter than aluminum, stronger/tougher than stainless steel. Pretty cool stuff, but honestly for choke tubes, it would seem to be overkill???? There might be some other benefit I am missing, but that about sums up my opinion. I could not save more than a fraction of an ounce in weight????

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Titanium is heavier than aluminum, aluminum being 1/3 the weight of steel, titanium being 2/3...

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Might be an idea for steel shot, but I can't see any advantage for lead.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Titanium has an extremely high strength to weight ratio, very high resistance to corrosion, good strength at very high temperatures...but for choke tubes, I doubt it has much benefit over stainless.

8. cnsane

cnsane Member

Christ on a cara,,, carro,,,, bah ,Mohammed on a merry-go-round.
    They're not talking about tubes made from al loo min ium, as that ductile of metal would be slightly better than choke tubes made out of brass. The titanium they're refering to is TiN which is tit nitride, which is harder than the hubs of Hell and easy to apply as a surface coating. We commonly use it on metal-working tooling to increase it's wear resistance. It's also what your tit nite reloading dies are coated with on the sizing die ring, instead of the much better, more expensive carbide ring that was formerly used.

9. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

TI tubes by Krieghoff are made from Titanium.....Not TiN coated steel. Now you know. Just FYI....TiN is a ceramic coating.

The theory as to why use TI is they swing easier.....whether you can tell the difference is up to you.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Are there different grades of titanium?

11. 221

Yes, many... just as there are in steel and aluminum

Note that TI is not some super strong material, It has it's advantages, but brute strength is not one of them.

12. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

It also seems to me that their Ti tubes are longer than their steel tubes with a similar weight thus providing a longer parallel. What that actually means... I don't know.

James Allen

13. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Also there are a few companies that make choke tubes of aluminum. Muller makes chokes for various mfgs in a ceramic coated aluminum, and the chokes on Kolar subgauge tubes are hard coat anodized aluminum.

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

On some of the heavier choketubes.. ie.. Perazzi series 4.. there is a weight savings.. especially on extended chokes.. The longer the barrel.. the more weight savings matters.. The barrels are already heavy from the choketube bell ends.. The rest I would not know about..

15. porky

porky TS Member

Titanium doesn't rust, it's lighter and stronger than steel.

16. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I don't know about choke tubes, but it works great in my knees.

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Pocatello

Great for hips too and recyclable! My organ donor card now says "Please Recycle" :)

I don't really care what the choke is made from. If it screws in, patterns well, shoots straight, and stays put without damaging anything, I'm happy.

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Sales Gimmick more than anything else!!! Now a shooter with all the chokes he thought he ever needed will have to go out and buy another whole set because his/her chokes are now the wrong metal type to use. LOL. Break-em all. Jeff

19. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Actually Titanium is not recommended for steel at least in Briley tubes. Mine are clearly marked not for steel. I was told it is because it is more brittle than steel and not capable of withstanding the pressures steel shot causes.

20. 221

Titanium is not "stronger" than steel..That's an urban misconception ...most steel alloys are stronger than TI. TI also does not tolerate shock well and high stress parts made from it need to be replaced at a much accelerated rate than if they were made from steel.

TI is light, therefore when minimum weight is warranted at any cost, does it's use become preferable.

There are "Some" aluminum alloys that are stronger than "SOME" steel and titanium alloys, ultimate strength is in steel......some of the exotics are VERY strong.

As composites continue to evolve the use of light weight metals has declined some and will continue to do so. The future is in composites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.