1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why this fascination with Mil-G-46003 grease

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Leo, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

<grin> good one

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Never heard of it.

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Trapshooters version of ASTRO GLIDE

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<center>Because it was...
    <I>C H E A P</i>
    and I'm always fascinated with getting a lot for a little!!
    <I>...doesn't take much to make me happy!</i></center>

MK

5. quartering

quartering Active Member

again, do you really think that the last thing nasa did, before lift off in 2004, was to grease the wheels an the mars rover and that's why it's stuck up there right now? permanent dry lubricant coatings. i don't understand why we continue to have to lubricate something as low tech as a shotgun in this day in age. unless it's just tradition. adams, jefferson, madison and paine were known to debate the better wad lube for their muskets between moments of brain freeze while writing the constitution. good luck with it

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Back in the 80's the Army experimented with a permanent dry film lubricant named "Xylan" for weapons lubrication; it is a heat set product similar in appearance to the non-stick coatings used on cookware. It didn't work very well.

They continued to fiddle with similar products until the early 90's when they finally came to the conclusion that until/unless the technology developed to the point where the coating's film thickness could be measured in microns it was of little value. Having to design film clearances into precision fit interfaces was self-defeating. When the film wore down and the clearances changed and the precision fit became not precise anymore, with predictable consequences.

Moly works in limited applications and conditions but it's not permanent. There seem to be more possibilities in manufacturing components from self-lubrication materials but that limits the range of applications.

Until permanent dry film lubrication can match fluid lubrication for film thickness and self-repair, we're stuck with grease and oil.

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.