1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why this fascination with greases?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Unknown1, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

For as long as I have been reading this board there has been post after post after post pleading for suggestions or extolling the virtues of this or that grease for this or that gun.

Why?

I can understand searching for things that will improve scores or shooting comfort or some other critical performance aspect of trap shooting, but grease?

It's a lube for a low demand, highly tolerant mechanism. Will finding the holy grail of greases make someone a faultless shooter? It puzzles me.

(BTW, I bought a 6-can case of Grease, Rifle, Mil-G-46003 Mfg Nov 1963 when the stuff flooded the market some 25 years ago and every gun I own uses it. The case cost me $4 then and a 1 pound can now sells for $10.)

MK

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

In 40 years of trap shooting I've used all kinds of grease from plain old wheel bearing grease to white lithium to heavy weight motor oil to magical mystery grease. You know what,they all work very well. As you said there is no magicical lube that will improve your scores.

Eric

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The only important thing about grease is cleaning it off when your'e done shooting so that it doesn't attract grit which will cause galling of the metal surfaces. I have used STOS for the last 25 years but your grease does the job too.

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

They do seem to get a little worried when it comes to grease, I guess it's because they spent as much on their guns as some people spend on vehicles

It seems that any good quality lithium or what ever soap used in the grease you have would work fine on a gun, but if you ever run into a leaking seal on a gear box that used gear lube, use John Deere Corn Head grease, it's in between 90W140 gear lube and gun grease

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with a gun or trap shooting but hey, I figured i would just throw it out there LOL

5. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Maybe, aside from being shooters, we are frequently tinkerers at heart and the thought of making that hinge pin last forever, for very little money, appeals to me.
    It's the nature of the beasts here I guess, but to be honest, I was not aware that it was overbearing to others.
    dju

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I am the same way. I have used nothing but (military surplus) lubriplate for years. It kept the M-14 going, and has never failed me on anything else. My rule of thumb is: Some grease=good, No grease=bad. The type really does not get me too worried. Keeping the dirt and grit wiped off seems to be far more important.
    On the other hand, if a special grease makes someone feel better, go for it. There are plenty of worries in this life, eliminating any worry is a good thing.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Oh come on Leo, we were hoping you were going to tell us there was some magical grease that was your secret. LOL Are all greases created equal??---Matt

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Because a person would feel pretty silly spending $20 per Oz for 'majic' joy jelly if they were to accept the truth that ordinary $3 per cylinder grease is just as effective.

How much grease does it take to keep a trap gun running anyway? I loaded a 25 cc syringe with grease a couple of years ago and it is still half full and I shoot a couple of times per week. Must not be greasing that 682 enough.

9. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

Aside from being shooters, many of us also collect guns, and apparently that makes you a grease collector too. Sorry, but I just cannot pass up a new tube of bottle of something slick. And I do think they should make G-96 into a cologne.

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The old Rem Oil smells better than G-96.. Now.. Something as stupid as grease keeps a $800 repair away..as well as galling etc.. Now.. I'm one of those people who likes my own magical formula.. Hi Speed CNC center lube with Tri-flo added.. 15 years and not a problem.. But.. It's more important to have clean grease.. than expensive grease.. But.. clean and good is always best..

11. grntitan

I like the Swamp Slime and Gator Tears. Works the same as all the others i've tried though. Cool names though. That counts for something, right??---Matt

12. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Run into Giacomos and show HIM your grease. He'll have a spell on you. I took my wife's preazzi in to get a barrel fitted and he saw the grease on the gun and I thought he was going to throw me out.

He turned to his helpers and said "look he usa da' grease...datsa bad".
    "Never usa da' grease...always usa da' Triflow oil. From now on you neva usa' da' grease"

Needless to say I sent her back in to pick it up.

13. grntitan

daddiooo---Thats funny.....

14. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Dadd.

Too funny!!!

The problem with da grease as I was told, it collects dirt and then becomes like sand paper. So, do nota use da grease

Dennis

15. Unknown1

...and the problem wita da oils is dat da oil she runs outa where she got put and den youse has no lubricatin' at all.

Good for gun fixer-upper guy; not so good for guy what pays the bill.

MK

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Dennis- That is why it is important to clean off the grease and use new stuff. Dirty grease is bad.

Pat Ireland

17. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I finally found some "Tri-Flow" at Gamaliel's! Haven't tried it yet, but will at least the next time I give the trigger group of my MX-8 a good cleaning.

I might even try it on the hinge pin, etc.

Allen

18. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

unknownone. YOu answered your own question by telling us of your fascination with your "score".

19. Unknown1

<I><blockquote>"YOu answered your own question by telling us of your fascination with your "score"."</blockquote></i>

YOu misinterpreted the reason for the statement. My point was that everything I shoot has lasted as long as I've shot it using plain old milsurp grease that cost me 4.2ยข/oz. Same grease, 25 years. Fascination? Heck NO! I bought it to grease wheel bearings.

I was asking, "What's the fascination with the search for enlightenment in Grease Nirvana? Why does the <I>Grease-of-the-Week</I> club have so many fanatical members?"

MK

20. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

I seldom respond to threads like this but this is hilarious! I hope Giacomo reads it. That said, the competitive IPSC pistol shooters I know with their $2-3000 M1911 pistols often use Mobil 1 synthetic oil for a car engine. They know something we don't know? Made to stick to a surface during high temp/high wear conditions. A quart would last a trap shooter about two lifetimes. Grin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.