1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the Schnabel???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cleboje, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cleboje

cleboje Member

Here is a question that has really gotten the wheels turning...

Why do some types of O/U's have the schnabel forend???

I mean, what advantage does this type of forend provide over other styles?

Is it a "style thing" with some types of clay sports?

I remember my friend pulling his brand new Beretta (very high end) O/U out of its box at the gun shop, only to find the very tip of the schnabel forend to have a very pronounced 'ding' in the otherwise pristine gun...does the schnabel do anything other than catch 'dings'?

What do you think?

Joe

2. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

wireguy,

I'm with you, I really don't like the way they look. I'm not sure why, but I just never cared for shotguns with that type of forend. Ah, I'll just stick to the trap ranges where opinions like that aren't minded. :)

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The purpose of the schnabel fore-end for sporting is to make it easier to guide the gun with the foreward hand - the opposite of trap, where the gun is mostly controlled with the hand on the stock.

4. 3200

3200 TS Member

Qoute - I'm with you, I really don't like the way they look. I'm not sure why, but I just never cared for shotguns with that type of fore-end. - Unquote

Ditto. I've gone to extreme lengths to 'rid' my sporting guns of the Schnabel, choosing to replace them with slim or beavertail fore-ends. IMHO, they look better and I feel that I have more control over the gun.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I, like P3AT thought it was originally intended for strength the forend of the stock. It is a style that goes back many years.

Pat Ireland

6. cleboje

cleboje Member

Lots of good ideas...Thanks for the input.

Personally, I don't like the looks of the schnabel forend...not sure why but the tulip forend does not seem to make the gun for me...but that is why we all have opinions.

For my money, a nice, classic slim forend design makes the O/U come alive.

Kind of like the first time I laid eyes on a Browning Superposed.

I do agree the purpose of the correctly shaped forend is to keep the leading hand in close contact with the centerline of the bores...and to my way of thinking, the slim style of forend does that in spades.

Oh well, to each his own...Thanks again for all the opinions.

Joe

7. cleboje

cleboje Member

Lots of good ideas...Thanks for the input.

Personally, I don't like the looks of the schnabel forend...not sure why but the tulip forend does not seem to make the gun for me...but that is why we all have opinions.

For my money, a nice, classic slim forend design makes the O/U come alive.

Kind of like the first time I laid eyes on a Browning Superposed.

I do agree the purpose of the correctly shaped forend is to keep the leading hand in close contact with the centerline of the bores...and to my way of thinking, the slim style of forend does that in spades.

Oh well, to each his own...Thanks again for all the opinions.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
schnabel forend
schnabel forend on guns
superposed schrabnel forend broadway

what is a schnabel forend

what is schnabel fore end
why different fore end on trap guns
why do trap guns have beavertail forends