1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the powder shortage

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Our club tried buying some Universal Clays from the usual supplier and couldn't. A second supplier yielded nothing as well, so I emailed Hodgdon today and got the following response that can be summed up as 'There's a powder shortage because of the panic buying.' Anybody with more than you need care to sell some to us?

Here's the message received:

"Why is there a powder shortage and when will it end?

The answers are really quite simple. On the second Tuesday of November 2008, there was a general election in the United States. At that time, a liberal government was elected by the majority of voting Americans. On the second Wednesday of November 2008, some of our fellow shooters went on a panic driven rampage to purchase all of the powder, primers, bullets, brass, ammo and guns that they could afford. Soon, word spread person to person and on the internet of this panic buying and still more shooters ran to join in without giving serious thought to the amount of product they were purchasing. Before the end of November, the distribution pipeline was empty and demand was outstripping supply. In response, we have ordered all of the powder possible to be made in the three smokeless powder plants which supply our needs. They have been working at maximum capacity since that time. There is no more capacity to make powder. We are currently making all burn speeds of Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester powders. We are shipping those powders as soon as they can be packaged. We are shipping every day. There is no more capacity to ship powder as there are only so many truck lines that will take gun powder and only so many drivers licensed to transport Haz-Mat.

Some will ask why we do not build more plants. The answer is simple, time, cost and return. There is no time to build the plant before this panic buying is over, the cost would be many millions of dollars and the return on investment would probably not be present at all.

There is no vast government conspiracy. The military is not buying up all of the powder and other components. We are not withholding powder from the market to push the price up. No ships carrying powder are being held hostage by pirates. There are no taggants going into the powder. There is no magic chemical we are being forced to include in the powder which would shorten the shelf life to a few months.

When will it end and powder become available again? Who knows? We have not found it possible to determine the end of this buying and hoarding as purchasing is being driven by emotion, not need or logic. Your guess is as good as ours when this will end.

Certainly some caution should be in place in regard to this administration and gun control measures. Even buying a little extra in the way of components is OK, just do not go crazy. Remember, at this time, there is no legislation in place which is a danger to your ability to buy powder or to shoot.

Do not pay crazy prices for powder, bullets, primers, etc at gun shows. Just be patient and powder will come to your local store."

2. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

if your in wi smittys guns has clays in stock

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I refuse to pay crazy for anything. I've let things settle down some on some components that I've been buying. I've had my name on a waiting/on call list for (2) 8 lb. containers of Clays for awhile now. But, I'm o.k. powder wise for now Hopefully it will get in by fall.

I recently went to pick up some Universal Clays for some 20 gauge reloading and they were out. No problem, got a couple lbs. of 20/28. Set for a real long time now.

The shooters have alot of options. Some manufacturers are gonna loose out, some manufacturers are gonna pick up new reloaders. Alot of guys just won't go back to Clays.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

There are a BUNCH of suitable powders for our game. I have been buying what I could get, and letting folks know it is time to buy some Solo 1000, Red Dot, E3, or whatever.

Some of these powders are going to be better than what we have been used to. I for one, will stay with some of the new powders I have bought because the "standards" are not available.

The same goes for primers. The import market is making their move to fill the vacuum. A lot of imported metallic ammo is arriving daily. Some of the buyers will not go back to overpriced domestics. I was recently given a price from a distributor for American Eagle 9X19 ammo. FIVE HUNDRED BUCKS A CASE!! My cost. That is $25 a box. How much do I have to sell it for to make it worth buying?

I bought some Wolf ammo and am selling it for half of what I would have to sell the Federal for. Customers are happy, and I have product on the shelf to sell.

Be patient, and things will get caught up. This is Capitalism. Some enterprising folks will fill the void with a more competitive product. :^)

5. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Don't know the history on this - who went to capacity first, Alliant, Hodgdon or whoever, but it looks like an opportunity for good management. I think I'd be buying my own trucks, even if for a short time. A customer without product, who wants product, is a sin in the business world.

We're looking at Solo 1250 as a replacement and there are other threads about replacing. We might find something we like better.

Good luck.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Solo 1250 is about the best Caps powder I have used.

Leadman has something about the drivers. In Tenn, it seems there are a lot of hoops to jump through to get the Haz Mat drivers' cred.

7. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I wonder what effect this buying spree will have a few years down the road when people have tons of stuff horded and aren't buying any more?

~Michael

8. 50calshooter

50calshooter TS Member

20yrs from now there should be some great auctions for the reloader to go to. And hopefully I will be the one buying

9. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

20 yrs from now, I probably will be attending a funeral, mine. BRGII

10. Smittys Guns

Smittys Guns TS Member

Joe, You have a PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
clays powder shortage

hodgdon clays powder shortage

solo 1000 shortage