1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the new Squadding Rule?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hunter44, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

New rule now applies to squadding for 18, 19, & 20 yd. handicap shooters. Max. distance for squad is 2 yds. with no more than 1 yd. difference between adjacent posts. Anyone know why this was done? The rule of 2 & 3 yds. still applies to all other yardages.

2. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

It's not really new, it's been in place since the implementation of the 18 yard line for caps.

It's a safety thing, at the short yardage the posts are too close together for the normal 3 and 2.

Scott

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Scott has it.......Bob Dodd

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Actually, explicitly including the 19 and 20 yard lines is new as of today (1 Sep 2010.)

But, it is for safety reasons.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

At shorter yardages, the shooters are standing closer to each other. The distance between shooters increases as the yardage increases.

Pat Ireland

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

They did it just to PO the Longsh?t's of the world. It is a plot by the EC to hold down the lesser shooters.

Don

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

No Don, Longshort's is still back there. Can't you hear him? :)

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Just a reminder that you can't squad a 20-yarder next to a 22. In other words the rule extends back, not just forward, from the 20.

Neil

9. Darla

Darla Member

Neil, thanks for posting about the 20-22 change. Are all the changes from the Grand posted somewhere? Darla

10. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I do not shoot very many Reg targets and with my 1000 target review I got a reduction to the 18 yard line which refused. When I went to the State shoot they told me thaty this 18 yard line was giving them fits to squad.

11. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Life IS hard.... Another case of discrimination. Regards, Ed

12. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I became aware of the new rule while trying to help a group pre-squad for a shoot.
    It kept telling me I had more than one yard between shooters & wouldn't let us finish. It sure makes squadding the 20 yarders difficult. I certainly can't argue with safety, I was just curious as to the reason for including 19 & 20 yards shooters.........I hadn't heard of any accidents.

13. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Here is a question for you all. I am relatively new to trap shooting and have not shot any ATA handicap targets as of yet. I am also 71 years young. What yard line would I be palced at in ATA competition? Thanks. Woody

14. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Woody,

You'll start on the 20, provided your first shoot isn't one that imposes penalty yardage (most small shoots don't have penalty yardage, so that shouldn't be a problem.)

15. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The rule committee folks have to do something to justify their existence.

When was the last time someone was shot by another member of his squad while on the line?

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Neil- Are you certain your interpretation of the new rule is correct? The group 18, 19 and 20 yard shooters could be interpreted as a single exclusive set and not include any other yardages. At this time, I stand confused about what the words actually mean and what they were intended to mean.

Pat Ireland

17. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

I thought that if you were on a squad 20-22 the 2 yd difference was ok.

18. bas

bas Member

Pat, this has me confused also. I initially read the rule to mean 18 to 20 - not extending back to the 22, as Neil stated. Like last year, when they put the 18 yd line back in, the rule was "when squadding an 18 yarder, there shall be no more than 2 per squad, 1 adjacent. I read the new rule to just be an expansion of that.

19. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Betty, so when squadding a 20-yarder . . . ?

It _is_ just like 18 in so far as that affected those behind as much as those named.

Neil

20. bas

bas Member

Neil, Yes...reading the bulletin on PreSquad.com, I have to agree with you. Regardless who the 20 yarder is with...i.e, a 21 or a 22 yarder, the rule would have to apply. I just didn't "see" that the first time around. Thanks, I'm good now! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.