1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

why the high rib?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JohnJ, Sep 2, 2013.

1. JohnJ

JohnJ TS Member

New to trap, was noticing alot of shooters at my club have high rib guns,got several different reasons when I asked a couple of them, none made alot of sense to me, figured I should ask the pros. Thanks, John

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I'm no pro, but I think it's done for a better view and for the heads up position it reinforces on the stock.

3. vdt

vdt Active Member

i put on a 1" add-a- rib on both my barrels ,i use a FPS so i adjusted my comb to the same hight that i shot the gun with out the add-on rib ...you see the target sooner ,you can read what angle is better,and you are shooting in the optic of you perception if you have one ,my scores have gone up to a 96.6 in 3 months my handi-cap scores are all in the 90's ,next to my PFS it is a great improvement ..to me

4. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

5. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

In Olympic doubles shooting, the Perazzi MX2005 is the standard by which other guns are compared. The high rib is very popular in that sport due to the added visibility.

6. SKB-Eric

SKB-Eric Member

One advantage I find, is you get less heat wave distortion compared to looking down a low rib barrel when the gun heats up with shooting. Specially if you shoot on a very fast squad. One squad I'm on is so fast, as soon as you pull out your spent shell and drop a new one in the chamber it is time to mount and shoot again.

Eric

7. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

The high rib on a trap gun causes the young ladies in the spectator crowd to swoon.

8. Gunnerx11

Gunnerx11 TS Member

The high rib is also a Trend. It sells guns, just like auto's or clothing.
    Its marketing. Five to eight years from now, or even less, it might go back to
    low ribs again. Nothing wrong with a low rib. In fact a low rib might be
    just what the Doctor ordered to aid cross dominance.

Just sharing,
    Gunnerx11

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Gunnerx11 is right on. Not for everyone!!

10. August1940

August1940 Active Member

The other shooters wouldn't be intimidated after seeing me shoot a few rounds even if I had a rib that was 6 inches tall!!

August

11. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

For me, the big advantage to a high rib (I have one on a Perazzi MX2005 and a Kolar Max T/A) is that it straightens up your head, i.e, your eyes are almost level. As a result, the world looks normal when you shoot, and there is no need to mentally correct for the fact that your head is tilted. It's easy to see this effect if you just look at the angle between the top of your glasses and the horizon.

The advantages of a better view and less heat waves from the barrel are there, but to me they are pretty minor. I don't look below the rib for the target so I don't really care what's down there, and shooting an unsingle, there isn't much in the way of heat waves anyway.

Ted K.

12. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Trap shooters are gizmo freaks, if someone said pink turbans improved they're scores within a week the ranges would look like Ramadan in San Francisco??

13. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Fish lures are for fishermen, worms are fish.

14. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

JJ, do yourself a favor. Have someone teach you how to shoot and find out where you like to shoot. I went stupid on wanting a high rib gun. So i bought A bt99 plus, 2 perazzi's, and finally settled on a Win Model 12. It fits me and is set up to shoot a little uphill (meaning there space between the mid and end bead). Currentlly shoots 65/35 which is good for me since i dont cover the bird nor like to float them. Its all about what fits you correctly, and what poi you prefer. Learn how you shoot and try others guns. just my .02 Mike

15. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

For me it eliminated a problem shooting in low light and artificial light. Don't know why the scores improved. Possibly less heat distortion? Bill

16. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Well Slayer, whatever it takes to "see the bird" better. For me i didnt know shit and thought the price of the gun would increase my scores. Dummmmmbbb.

17. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Never understood the "heads up" talk. The world looks the same through the top of my glasses or the middle of my glasses.

Most unsingles are not high rib guns relative to the receiver.

The farther the rib is above the barrel the more problems it can cause with accuracy. A rib doesn't have to be very high to avoid heat distortion, a little higher than a BT99. High ribs are great if one has a long neck, otherwise it's a gimmick. .

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

For me it takes a tall rib to get enough taper or slope to get me to 125% high
    shooting gun, or to state it differently 20"inch to center of the impact.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

19. Crunch

Crunch Member

I've found a high rib helps prevent head lifting.

20. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Let me elaborate a little on my previous post. I bought a bt-99ar just for the adjustable rib. I wasn't comfortable with the p.o.i. on a standard bt, but liked everything else about the gun. I think all of the years of shooting flat-shooting field guns caused problems with getting used to the higher p.o.i. of a trap gun. I wanted it higher just not 8 to 10 inches high. Getting an ar allowed me to set the p.o.i at about four inches high and this has been perfect for me. Also the ar has a rib about an inch higher than the standard bt, which I find comfortable also. I think I would have some problems with the really high ribs on the unsingles and the like. Bill

Search tags for this page

why do trap model have a high rib

why dont olympic shooters have high rib