1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Why The Empasis On Length Of Pull

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by In plain view, Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In plain view

In plain view Member

Any time a trap gun is mentioned being for sale here on TS.com, Length of Pull seems to be mentioned 99% of the time. Whats the purpose of knowing the LOP? Whats the big deal about LOP? Just curious. Bob
  2. hmb

hmb Active Member

It's one of the primary elements of gun fit. Also to tell whether the stock has been altered. HMB
  3. yakimaman

yakimaman Active Member

The answer to that should be in plain veiw..... why would a person buy a gun not knowing if the stock was anywhere close to the dimensions he needs? Do you shoot, do you know what the LOP on your gun is? Can you shoot one an inch shorter, an inch longer? Would you want to buy then spend a few hundred more to cut or lengthen? There it is, right in plain view.

rm
  4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Just something else to confuse the shooters, nothing to worry about ... 1 size fits all just like your clothes ... WPT ... (YAC) ...
  5. tarhawk

tarhawk TS Member

Just like a pair of shoes. If,say, you wear a size 10 shoe, would you be comfortable in a size 8? A size 13?
  6. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Member

So you won't bust your nose open with your thumb when you pull the trigger????

Other than that, it is the very least important measurement of any stock dimension. It is more important on a "skeet" (sloped) stock than any parallel comb stock. Other than that, ......?

Mike
  7. In plain view

In plain view Member

Yakimaman: HMB answered as a professional. Your smart ass comments was uncalled for. Yes I shoot, I shoot ATA and club shoots. I shoot 3 different guns. I've been around the flag pole a few times. I asked a simple question and fully expected a professional answer. If I had a sign on name like yours, I wouldn't make fun of mine. Go some where and hide. Bob
  8. EuroJoe

EuroJoe Active Member

easy enough to change!
  9. yakimaman

yakimaman Active Member

Well, there is a Yakima, I grew up there, I am an adult male so I guess my sign-on name makes sense. Now, "in plain view" is a bit confusing. As far as your question goes, it was a simple question, a very simple question with an incredibly simple answer supposedly in plain view to everyone who's bought a target shotgun. So, sorry if your feathers got ruffled but if you're shooting that much and didn't already know the answer to your question, you've been in a vacuum.
  10. WJN

WJN TS Member

We were checking the POI on a pattern board of my wife's 3901 RL which is 12.5". I said let me take a shot and see if I hit the same place. My thumb knocked my glassed off. That would be a LOP issue. I couldn't get that gun long enough for me without some major purchases.
  11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

Because LOP is very important.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
  12. In plain view

In plain view Member

Folks, I understand LOP but maybe because of my senior age I just didn't see the reason to "emphasize" LOP when trying to sell a gun. To me a gun has to fit before a purchase is made. I know of no one who would buy a nice trap gun without bringing it up to the shoulder and looking down the barrel. I've had the pleasure over the years of shooting trap guns that I had no idea the LOP. I asked the question to see what other shooters thought. No harm. no foul. Bob
  13. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

Not only does one size not fit all but even at the idividual level differing LOPs are appopriate for the various applications. I like my upland guns to have about 1" less LOP than my trap gun and even shorter if I'm going to be wearing a thick jacket. Some guys have other preferences but they generally know what LOP works for them.

So when buying a gun or stock that you can't actually try out for fit knowing the LOP ahead of time helps the deal go better if it is going to go at all.
  14. Aulovel5

Aulovel5 TS Member

It's kinda the thing that most people notice when they bring a gun up and it will either feel just right or not that's why when your selling a gun you list that. If you know the lop that you like the stock will more then likely fit you.
  15. 3dram8

3dram8 TS Member

In plain view: Don't let some of these comments get to you. Unfortunately, at a site like this (and others I'm sure) you will encounter people with class and those that are an ass. They are easy to distinguish between because "there it is, right in plain view". ....Rick
  16. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I'm more concerned about the length of the barrels. I can change the LOP. I just bought a nice 20 gauge O/U, that had the stock cut down an inch, but it had 30" barrels. Mark
  17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Active Member

LOP is but one measurement listed in case the shootist knows his best LOP. (As said above, easy enough to change.) A stock that's too long or short certainly doesn't do much for shooting consistant scores. A butt pad placed on a bunched/tensed muscle can make for a very long day when shooting 300 or more targets too!!

Hap
  18. lesharris2305

lesharris2305 TS Member

LOP shows the originality of the gun. It was or was not cut,or added on to.
    Does have an important factor in gun fit. If too short thumb could hit nose,glasses,etc. If too long you will be over the top of the stock, or the stock will rest on your arm and not in the shoulder pocket and not have consistant hits.

LOP is important to me so I do not have to have something corrected after I buy it,when I could buy the correct LOP to begin with.

Les Harris.
  19. 635 G

635 G Active Member

lop is not a constant. The higher the rib the shorter the LOP. If yo are buying an unaltered mass production gun in most cases it will fit.

Phil Berkowitz
  20. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

With the spacers that can be put between the recoil pad and stock,,,,,is it that important, or is it more to see if the stock has been altered? This being the important factor????
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.