1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the continued shortage of handgun ammo?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by johnjjk, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnjjk

johnjjk Member

Does anyone know why there is still a shortage of ammo?

In June of ,08, I could buy .32 S&W Long, short, .22 Federal Bulk, 9MM from Walmart all day long.

Today, 9MM may show up occasionally but all others are no where to be found.

I checked with the big and small online ammo vendors, but all I see are "item backordered".

Did manufacturers just stop making ammo to concentrate on more profitalble items.

I understand the "Obama effect", but I thought this would gradually wear off.

The good new is I can easily buy shotgun 8's & 9's without any problem.

Any Thoughts?

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

can't answer for Walmart, but I have no trouble finding pistol ammo. My Hammerli loves Aquila target 22LR ammo (and almost anything else). You can buy the match stuff in bulk from Cheaper Than Dirt for slightly over $.03 ea.

Same for 45acp as long as you don't mind paying $23/100. Similar situation for all other common pistol ammo. I live in SE PA, and that might not be representative.

3. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

14+ Million firearms were sold in 2009, that required a background check.....plus millions that did not.....and they all take bullets.

Aquila's got a gold mine....cheap labor and people willing to pay inflated prices......and we thought Mexicans were stupid?

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Why the shortage of ammo? Because there is still no shortage of idiot hoarders. My suppliers still have strict limits on ammo and reloading components because it flies off the shelf as soon as it shows up.

MK

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

We're getting 9mm, 45acp, and 40 pretty regularly. Still hard to get: 38/357 in fifty round boxes and 380 is as rare as the dodo.

Hoarders. Had a guy come in and want the whole case of 9mm I was putting on the shelf. Asked him how many he'd shoot in the coming year.
    "A box or two".
    "So why not buy a box or two and let someone else have some also?"

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Aquilla, like many other companies in Mexico hire illegal aliens. The only ammo in my area that's scarce is 25acp, 32acp, 380acp and 357Sig the rest of the pistol ammo is well stocked. Even before barry got to Washington there has been a shortage of reloading components and pistol ammo, and I have no idea why cheap ammunition from China has not been imported, not that I care to buy any but they sell everything else in our market.

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

"<I> and I have no idea why cheap ammunition from China has not been imported, not that I care to buy any but they sell everything else in our market.</i>"

Because we already get cheap ammo from Russia!

MK

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Are you saying the labor rates in Russia are the same as China? When you go to any store, what do you find that is made in Russia? It just seems odd that everything in this country from a $.50 pencil sharpener to a flat screen TV and very soon, automobiles are comming from China except ammo. I think there is a US ban on Norinco products, maybe thats the only company in China in the ammo business.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

So that's why all the Mexicans are here ... all the jobs in Mexico are taken by illegal immigrants from Guatemala????

No problem getting pistol ammo around here, the problem is in paying for it. Prices are up and nearly double from where they were in October 08.

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

"Idiot hoarders"

That is probably what the grasshopper said to the ant.

Don Verna

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I agree with Don Verna. It will not be long until either price, being in compliance, or an outright ban occurs in regards to reloading. They don't have to ban guns in our country. Access to reloading, factory ammo and replacement parts will do it for them. No shortage of handgun ammo in Oregon. My local BI-Mart has cases sitting on the floor. I guess all those silly hoarders must have enough in my neighborhood. Jeff

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have no problem walking into Wally World and getting anything in the way of ammo I want, not cheap but plenty of it ... There is a gun show coming up in the near future, it will be interesting to see what they have available ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

All the Wal Marts in central IL, at least around Peoria, don't have much. Farm King in Galesburg and Canton seem to be well supplied, although overpriced, Farm and Fleet is sometimes stocked, but the only places which seem to have much are those whose prices preclude you buying much.

We get what we can, put it on the shelf at a really fair price and sell out quickly.

380, 357, are still the ones to hunt for.

14. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Just stopped by Cabela's in Reno on my way back from goose hunting in calif (shot limits of Specks every day) and they had just about any ammo you could want including 380 and 357. Saw a few hundred boxes of 380. Phil S. from Colorado

15. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

The Obama effect...is still here! This what i am seeing at the Gun Club, full CH classes and a waiting list...that alone burns ammo. Then these new CHL holders want to practice...they got bit by the bug...people are shooting, a lot!

16. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Ammo quantity is getting better but is way too expensive. I too was at a Cabelas today. They have anything you want but you got to pay for it! I shoot some 8mm Mauser. Last time I bought a box it was $11.99. Today I paid $24.99 for one box of 20! It's nuts. 8mm used to be cheap!

Steve

17. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Steve, You are right--- the 380 stuff was 18.00 box. Too rich for me. I already have a modest supply. Phil S.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

32 s w ammo shortage