1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the brass on shotshells?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Questor, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Questor

Questor TS Member

Now that plastic has been proven not to be a passing fad, why do we need the brass on shotshells like AAs? The plastic seems to be doing all the work, and it seems like the brass doesn't do anything functional.

Am I wrong? Or can we dispense with the brass like Activ did?

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

If it was a good idea there would be a plethora of all plastic shells on the market.

Jim

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Message obliterated !

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Activ was around for quite a while with an all plastic shell, excepting the steel washer hidden in the base.

Before that was Wanda and Herters, both of which were inadequate.

The Activ was good, save for the fact that the hull was very voluminous and required some tall wads, usually theirs.

HM

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Momentum

No, you don't need them, but that's how the factories are set up to buld them, and retooling the shell making machines probably costs more than continuing to build the shells with brass (or in a lot of cases, steel.)

Kinda like why a lot of cars still come with rear drum brakes, despite disk brakes working better, having fewer parts, and cheaper to make.

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The brass is for reliable extraction.

7. BT99er

BT99er TS Member

uestor, you have more questions than the F.B.I. and I.R.S. combined LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Questor

Questor TS Member

BT99-er:

Just call it enfatuation. I never paid much attention to shotguns until recently and now I've got the bug. Seems like I've been missing a lot.

9. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

More ways than one! Shotgun shooters definately have more fun. LOL Ron

10. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Because its been that way since they went from all brass shells to "high base/brass" and "low base/brass". Kind of like the Dram Equivalent. With a one piece hull it has been shown that you do not need a brass base.

On 2 piece hulls like the "new" Win AA, Fed Top Gun, Estate, Rio etc. you do need the brass base. The brass base is what is holding the base wad in.

Jason

11. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Quester, you remind me of my grand kids with all the strange questions. By Lyman's loading book and many of your questions will be answered. FD

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Geeez, guys, lighten up, he's kinda new to this game and is trying to get as brilliant as y'all....Bob Dodd

13. hreinke

hreinke TS Member

Just a coating to make them like pretty

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I sure liked Activ shotshells for tactical shooting. They never jammed or had a misfeed. Slickest feeding shells there are. (At least when new. I never reloaded them.)

15. smartass

smartass TS Member

The purpose of the brass is to make the shells look pretty.

16. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

when Winchester introduced the AA shell in about 1970 they almost made the shell without the brass. Altho the AAs were sturdy enough to handle extraction the powers that be decided to continue the brass. It was discussed and the Board was afraid some shooters, hunters, would not buy the shells with out the brass. Straight stuff

17. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

the wanda and herters worked ok for about 5 to 7 loadings then the primer would become loose and not stay in in very cold weather the extractor would break the rim off in my A5-- also if you drop them the over the shot wad would come out and lose the shot rick

18. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

I thought the brass is there to expand and close off the chamber, to keep blow by from escaping between the barrel and reciever. Also to extract the hull, and to help hold the primer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.