1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the 3 hole and faster birds will not work!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ebsurveyor, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

I've been shooting trap for more than 40 years. Back in the day (50 yard targets & 3 hole) some clubs would not throw soft targets and those clubs were know for their 52 yard targets and low scores. Other clubs took a different approach and threw soft targets from the 2 hole. I guess we all know what "won out". Many shooters frequent the clubs where they shoot best. Conclusion: more concrete needed.

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

So, you are saying that the 3 hole 50 yard target worked then but won't work now ..? If it was mandated by the rules and the ATA they would be the same as they used to be without pouring concrete and probably effect some scores just like they used to ... I must be missing something ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I guess he's saying clubs will cheat just like they did before. Soft targets-more shooters-greater income. When's the last time you saw an ATA official target police officer at any club?

More concrete needed!!

4. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

More concrete needed and kick the cheats.

5. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Oh, how I long for the days when men were made of iron, and ships were made of wood.

Kip

6. KRE

KRE TS Member

Taking the easy road, fell good logic, an I should not have to work for it, is how this nation dug the whole it's in. Kind of glad I was never smart enough to understand that math or logic. I started with the 4th hole an 60yd targets at a very small club, an miss it very much. 100 straight back then was doing something, even from the 16. From the 25 or farther, you were the man/woman that day.

7. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Why not have two catagories one for the ( SOFTIES OR WHINERS ) and one for ( EARNERS AND REAL SHOOTERS ) Wild Bill

8. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Always funny to hear the same morons complaining..lmfao. You cant compete at the current handicap system. So move the better shooters that earn the 27yd back they will still beat you and you will still cry.....boo whooo. Id bet most of you never made it past the 22 yd line so when the better shooters make it to the 32 yd line they will still take your allowance. boo whoo
    Chris

9. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Lots of personal attacks but no reasons. These guys must be democrats. BTW: I've registered more that 100,000 targets from the 27 and never turned down a reduction.

10. oleolliedawg

These naysayers sure sound like Obama voters. I'm in my comfort zone and please don't take away my welfare payments. After all-I'm entitled!!

11. roger8918

roger8918 Member

They do have two categories...LOL<br>
    SOFTIES OR WHINERS = ATA<br>
    EARNERS AND REAL SHOOTERS = Olympic Trap

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I cannot ever recall seeing an ATA official policeing the targets but the President of our State Association does, I have witnessed it many times ... It has to start someplace before it can end up every place ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

No matter what handicap system is in place the better shooters will eventually rise to the top. In every sport this happens. Nothing wrong with that, as this is the way it is suppose to be.

If you are not good enough to win in sports, it is up to you to improve your game, not make it tougher for a better particpant. We all put our pants on one leg at a time. Our country has gone down hill because a large majority of people don't understand that there are winners and losers. They don't want anyone to feel the effects of losing.

Pull up your pants, pull up your boot straps and stop complaining. The last time I won a ATA handicap event the Braves were still in Milwaukee. Am I bitter, no, do I want the shooters who beat me moved further back, no.

That's why I try to get better. If you want to change something, get better, END OF STORY.
    Steve Balistreri

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If they want to get people to start playing the money all they have to do is separate the Amateurs from the Pros, then let the games begin ... There are a lot of people who say they want to shoot against the Big Guns but do not put up their money because they know they do not stand much of a chance of getting any return ... These people are the ones who want to shoot where the Pros shoot just so they can say they were there "shooting against the Pros" when in reality they are not because they cannot lose any money which is what the Pros are in the game for ... Make them all 3 hole, 50 yard targets and let the chips fall where they may ... The ATA knows who the Pros are as well as the Pros themself ... They don't need concrete or slower ammunition, they need to start a Pro Class so the Big Dogs shoot against the Big Dogs for the money they themself play and make it miss and out in the shoot offs to add a little more intensity and pressure ... This would also put an end to the people concerned about who is shooting from long yardage because they would shoot for their own money ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Dang Senior Steve, never seen you in one of these mud sling'n Handicap arguments. I do however agree with you.

16. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Sheeeeesh! Some people will complain if you hung them with a new rope!

The only time that you are going against "the Pros" is if you play the Open Purses!

If you stick to the Class or Yardage purses ... what the Pros shoot doesn't matter!

17. oleolliedawg

Finally I have it figured. The ones who are against additional yardage are those shooters who also happen to be professional practice and trinket shooters.

Nothing lost-nothing gained!!

18. oleolliedawg

WPT, the sooner we get our hands in the pockets of the top shooters the sooner they'll ask for a game change.

Sandbaggers unite!!

19. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I think Butch is right - from an economic point of view, if nothing else. Shooting participation is down and gun clubs need more income to offset rising expenses. Shooters like posting good scores more than bad ones, so they go where they shoot well. Why then would it make financial sense for a club to make its targets more difficult?

There is a local sporting clays course that years ago, prided itself on the difficulty of its courses. After a few years, all they had left were the "serious" shooters; the "casual" ones had taken their disposable income to clubs where shooting was more fun. Now they have slightly easier courses and their shooter counts have recovered a little.

And there used to be a local gun club that shot trap three days each week using traps in poor repair and set using the old "eyeball" method - one threw low line drives, the other high pop flies and the fields on both were extra-wide. Their late trap chairman was fond of saying, "If you can break 'em here, you can break 'em anywhere!" Guess where no one wanted to shoot? That club no longer throws clay targets, partially due to income that wasn't worth spending money on electricity to get.

Today, clubs can't afford to make their targets more difficult.

I'm leaving now for my club, where the traps face south. Because the targets are hard to see, no one likes to shoot there because its a hard place to shoot well. Last Sunday morning, we had five shooters shoot 50 targets each.

If it isn't fun, people don't want to spend money doing it.

Ed

20. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

An "amateur" sport is no place for gambling... folks who work or offer a service in the indutry should be classified as such... if you want to comingle Pros and Ams... create ProAm events...

Best shooters will typically generate the top scores... sometimes someone has their day in the sun...

I've got no more room for added concrete... pick a system and stick with it... but some tweaking of the classification system is warranted...

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water...

best regards all,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.