1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the 16 yard line?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bisi, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

On another thread a guy asked why there were 135 clay targets in a case.

I would like to know why the 16 yard line was chosen as the starting point in the game of trap? Why not a round number like the 20 yard line or the 15?

My guess would be somebody decided that they would start to shoot 50 feet behind the trap, which would technically be the 16 and 2/3 yard mark. After they tired of that they decided to move back a yard or 1 pace instead of moving back by the foot measurement, and that was how we ended up with the 16 yard line. If that is the reason why didn’t they round up to the 17 yard line?

Any ideas on why the 16 yard line?

Other things I would like to know is - why the 24 second clock in the NBA. I can understand 30 seconds or 25 seconds but how in the hell did they come up with 24 seconds? Do you think there was an argument between 1 guy wanting 24 seconds and another guy wanting 27 seconds?

Why 60 feet 6 inches for the distance from the mound and home plate in baseball?

And last but not least can anybody tell me how Howie Mandel became a television star?

That about covers it for tonight, but I would be interested in your thoughts on the 16 yard line.

Bisi

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

if you check trap history it was a full circle game way back when, search u-tube there are several videos on it

bill

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Wasn't skeet the full circle game called "around the clock?" AFAIK trap was always basically the way it is now.

Eric

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Original skeet, somewhere around 1920s? was a full circle. It's my understanding they found it to be unsuitable because there was no where safe to park cars....Bob Dodd

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It's based on fours, bisi. It is the difference between the standard handicap starting point of 20 yards, squared. And since the 24 is, by general agreement, where you have to start to really shoot handicap,and again the difference from the 20 is four, when you again square it the mathematics check out.

Neil

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Bisi, I really have to agree with you on Howie Mandell.........lol

Hauxfan!

7. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

M R Ducks, thanks for the explanations. Gotta agree the distance between the pitchers mound and home plate worked to perfection!

8. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Neil, 50 years ago I thought the ultimate handicap was the 25 yard line? Now you say the reason we shoot from the 16 is in the math, correct?

Well if you take the square root of 25 and deduct it from 25 that would put us on the 20 yard line for beginning handicap. We both agree on that. Now if you take the square root of 25 again and deduct - that would put us on the 15 yard line. Even if we took the square root of 20 which would be 4.472 that would still put us on the 15.527 yard line.

So I ask again where did the 16 yard line come from? <LOL>

Bisi

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Probably prior to Ligowski(sp) making the clay target, those old timers stuffing those front loaders with no choke thought 16 yards was a stretch for smokin feather filled glass balls. I've read some competitions were shot much closer than the 16 yard mark? The 23 was max yardage for quite some time after advent of the clay target, smokeless powders etc.. Then came the 25 and in 1955 the 27. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.