1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why such a difference in choke size?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bucko43, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I just ordered and received Briley Spectrum Improved Modified chokes for my XT and Beretta trap guns. I decided to measure the exit end of the chokes, and they are different sizes. And I'm not talking about a couple of thousandths. They were like .020 different in size.

Anyone know why they would be that much different?

Thanks,

Kevin

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Because the bores they are intended for are different sizes? (A guess; I've no idea, really.) My Berettas were just mobile-choked ones with a bore diameter of 0.722 or 3. What's an XT's bore?

Neil

3. linkerman

linkerman Member

I purchased some Briley Spectrum extended chokes a few weeks ago from Briley's for my 11-87 and found that one of the chokes was marked incorrectly. I checked all of my chokes with my micrometer as well and this is how i discovered it. The choke was marked Light full and should have miked .700 however it miked .690 which is actually an extra full (Briley specs).

Now i must say that Brileys retified this quickly by sending the correct choke to me over night.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

What benniesdad said.

The hole size does not make the choke. The amount of constriction (among other intrinsic parameters) is what does the job.

HM

5. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

That explains why the full choke I bought is .685 diameter for the Beretta and is .705 for the Browning.

Thanks guys,

Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.