1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why so many trophies???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hauser, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauser

Hauser Member

Looks like they handed out 80 trophies for the recently completed Grand American Handicap. This is up from 38 the first year it was held at Sparta.

Why so many???

Jerry Hauser

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

brings more b,c,d etc. shooters. Image what the turn out at this years grand would have been without them. Second year for this outstanding program. High gas, prices, ammo cost, flight cost etc would keep marginal shooters at home.

3. gasman03

gasman03 Member

I know form having a young son that shoots getting a trophy that has the place and the event name on it means more to him than the money. Now that Dad is paying for thing I can see why but it is cool when you go to a shoot and can show your buddies some hardware. I know some might say they just sit around and collect dust but when you can say I won that for shooting at such and such kids realy come around.

Corey

4. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I always thought that 20 place trophies was a cheapy idea for a big event like the GAH. Yardage group trophies are the best way to go as far as rewarding the shooters is concerned, much better odds for the non-category shooter to get out with something to show for their effort.

The 20 place trophies of the past were just a good way to make the shootoffs simple at Vandalia. This facility can easily run many more shootoffs in the evening and thus the 96's have a chance sometimes in the yardage groups.

5. Hauser

Hauser Member

No reason not to dumb the sport down another notch.

We could change the angle and fight requirements from the current 34 degree included angle to 22 degrees included and bump the number of trophies from 80 to say 200.

Who wouldn't like that???

Jerry Hauser

6. Hauser

Hauser Member

Bold talk from someone who doesn't sign his name.

Jerry Hauser

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

In the past, the number of trophies awarded for the Grand American Handicap were close to the same number awarded at most state shoots and the Grand had about 10X the number of entries of most state shoots.

Pat Ireland

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Don

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The real question should be:

Why not give more trophies?

With approx. 10 times the shooter's, it would make sense to increase the trophies. But then again, some of the things that our brethren trapshooter's whine about don't make much sense.

Curt

10. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Trophies are more than just an award...in a way they are a form of advertising. Everyone who took home some sort of award will tell everyone they know and a few they don't really know, about their win at the Grand Ameican. This spreads a positive message and hopefully will bring in more shooters next year.

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I recently dumped off at my former All-American son's new house several large boxes of ATA trophies. I got very tired of looking at them and even more exhausted dusting off two trophy cabinets full of them. He obviously wasn't very interested in them either.

He did spend some of his over $12,000 in shooting earnings on a super stereo for his car. He still has the car and stereo 11 years later-the trophies are still in boxes. I'm sure many of us can relate to this issue!!

12. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Jerry:

I'll guess a significant portion of those added trophies you are talking about are the medallion awards they started giving out. They don't count as trophies for AA points etc.

13. Hauser

Hauser Member

The 80 trophies went to the winners listed on the ATA's web-site. I assume they were earned not handed out.

Jerry Hauser

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Personally, I think its the ATA's way of thanking those that did show up ... The way the attendance is falling off they better do something pretty damn fast or they will be able to hold the shoot on 40 traps ... I would think that doing anything is better than doing nothing like they have done up until now ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

With so few trophies per yardage group there were a lot of losing scores higher than winning scores in other groups. Doesn't sound like handicap to me.

Yardage groups should never determine the top shooters trophy list.

16. missed some

missed some TS Member

better to have trophy to dust off and complain than to have no trophy!!

17. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Yeah Jerry, they were earned. Just pointing out they are not considered program trophies, but are "special awards". Some for new members only, some for delegates only, 3 places deep in every yard, etc.

That's over 30 of the incresae you were pointing out in the GAH. The reason - obviously to spread the wealth and have more shooters get something to take home even if they did not win a program trophy.

18. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

How long before it goes the way youth sports is going? Don't keep score, and everyone gets a trophy at the end of the season, so no one's feelings get hurt.

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The Grand American HANDICAP is getting watered down and the trophies are getting bought on the cheap. Do you all think this trend really helps the sport?

20. Sideline

Sideline TS Member

More trophies is a positive step to encourage participation at the Grand American in Sparta or any other trap shooting venue. Economic times are tough...attendance is down at most all state shoots...attendance being down at the Grand this year is no big surprise.

The major tropies are still the "cats meow" but to the average shooter who makes the effort to attend the "Grand" when they can, the slight chance of winning a medal for yardage...is still worth trying for and a trophy to be proud of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.