1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why so many negative threads (ATA & such) ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike Hessong* (MH*), Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Why are there so many negative threads about the ATA, sandbagging, yardage reductions and everything along those lines ??? I just love to shoot clay-targets; ALL kinds of clay-targets. Registered trap is probably my first love, but I also shoot registered skeet and sporting clays, but mainly lots of small "South Texas Fun Shoots" thrown at small clubs along the Gulf Coast of Texas. Even love to shoot bunker trap when I get a chance to shoot it. I don't "hide" behind a screen name, just shoot where I can, and I am damn happy to be able to do it as much as I can. Don't shoot near as much as the so-called "big boys", but I can hold my own at times against them. Well maybe every once in a while.

I took my 2-yard reduction from the 25 to the 23 and in 2 events, I was back at the 25 again. Got a half-yard punch at a small-town shoot, and then won the Nitro 27 Handicap at the Southwestern Grand with the lone high score of 98 for the other yard and a half a week or so later. I take punches where ever I am lucky enough to get them. When I first started shooting registered trap, I ended up getting 4 half-yard punches before I ever got to a shoot that had money involved, was just happy to shoot as well as I did to get that yardage. When I didn't shoot as well, I took my reductions. Never made the 27-yard line (missed making it by one target 4 or 5 years ago) and moved between the 26.5 to the 23 yard lines, and back and forth, where ever my scores led me. I shoot in all types of weather, don't worry about averages, just want to "bust some clays" !!!

I like the ATA, and I am proud to say it. I was at San Antonio at the "meet and greet" where Jeff Wagner and the EC spoke and took some questions from the group assembled there. Heard them read the press-release, and didn't have a problem with anything I heard them say. Later, I introduced myself to Jeff and couple of the EC members, and they seemed like super folks to me. I may never make it to Sparta, but I consider it my Homegrounds now, just like I considered Vandalia my Homegrounds when I started shooting registered targets in 2001. Heard of the negative statements about the "MOVE", but like so many people say; "It is what it is !" Live with it. Like it or quit your belly-aching. I hate negative people. Just be happy we all have something we can do and hopefully do for a long time.

On the topic of sandbagging; I don't have a cure for it, just do the best YOU can do, and beat them when you get a chance. I like to think they (the sandbaggers) will pay a far tougher price when they go on to another place after this world, but I am not going to dwell on that too much, and let them make me not have the best time I can have, when I get the chance to shoot clay-targets. No matter what sport that may be. Have fun and I look forward to seeing and shooting with any of y'all if you ever get down to South Texas.

Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Victoria (Texas) Skeet and Trap Club

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Are you kidding? Whining by trapshooters is a sporting event second only to the actual shooting events.

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Mike, I've got feeling you are about to learn why.

4. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Thanks Mike! Well said! I can't believe how many high school hypersensitive idiots are on here arguing about dumb stuff that means nothing!

5. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Mike - I don't have the answer? I normally try to downplay the negative and reinforce the positive whenever I can.

If I wasn't providing tech support to our department's sniper competition and on call I would be at the NC Homegrounds for the Dogwood starting Thursday.

I figure that I will be registering ATA targets as long as I can feel my finger:)

FRedmon

6. Nutso

Nutso Member

Mike , I'm pretty good at ignoring the negative stuff but every now and someone says something incredibly ridiculous, which really rankels me, and I can't let it go. Especially within the last week.

7. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Paging Mr. Mcpeek......

8. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

Great attitude and post, Mike. Well said.

9. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Because it is easier to complain, anonymously, than to get off their duff and do something...

10. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Legitimate, rationally posted complaints are alright.

It's the fabricated lies and innuendo that I have a problem with.

11. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

+1 to V10... Would follow his with "try to be part of the solution, not the problem"

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Mike. You miss the obvious... The complainers live in North country and the weather and lack of shooting makes us irritable. And you have scant time to let it bother you because you live in warmer climes where shoots are going on all the time. You look forward to the weekend and we have to wait 7-8 months to shoot in a T-shirt once again.

We just have the TS.com... You have opportunity.

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The difference between a trapshooter and a six month old puppy is ( the puppy will quit whining but a trapshooter never does)

14. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Well spoken Mike. Don't let them get to you as there is an awful lot of good people on here also. Shoot well and often, Bob

15. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

My biggest beef with these ding a lings is they constantly have to be attacking someone. I just recently saw a post a guy put on just asking about the implications of walking off the squad before the shooting begins. Well instead of answering the guys question everyone just has to know why he would consider that and when an explanation didn't come everyone starts making assumptions about the guy having a bad attitude and all that. Isn't that his business? Gosh, how about we just help those who ask for it and drop the ripping on people garbage! I can't speak for anyone else but this has kept me from being very active on here and now that I've said that I'm sure a hair lip will come out and trash me now.

16. red hammer

red hammer Member

Mike you are one of the best sportsman that I have ever known . You are one of the best for this sport keep up the good work .i love you man yes I said it I love you maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.God Bless

17. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

I would like to weigh in from the medical viewpoint regarding this issue.

The term "Grumpy Old Men" is not part and parcel to the realm of trap shooters, no, far from it. Older men have been grumpy since they were first recorded in cave drawings of men showing genitalia along with man boobs. In each instance, regardless of location, this early man is depicted on cave walls bitching at another male with man boobs over the accuracy and skill of "rock throwing."

Shortly after the invention of the wheel, an actual physical change evolved in early man when he reached his twilight years. Over the course of some two thousand years man somehow managed to transport his buttocks from the posterior location and resettle the entire mass in the frontal area below the chest, an area that laymen sometime refer to as a "beer belly." This of course further proves that drinking beer does not have any affect on torso expansion as beer was not around during this evolution. So drinking beer will have no effect what-so-ever on your profile and indulgence is encouraged for all positive medicinal benefits associated with the brew.

What does all this mean? We have to bitch and argue with each other. We have no choice. It is incorporated into our DNA. If it were not trap shooting it would be some other sport. Let's face facts. Old guys will argue over a turkey dinner. If these arguments cause you distress and physical discomfort my prescription is as follows:

Drink two beers and call me in the morning.

doc

P.S. These house calls are becoming more frequent and time consuming. If this trend continues I will no longer be able to provide these services without charge as has been the case up until now.

18. Pipe Layer

Pipe Layer Well-Known Member

Mike,
    You have the right attitude to enjoy the sport.Go shoot, have fun, meet some of the best people in the world.You can take your kids and not worry about them.Where else can you compete against the best in the world side by side? Not any other sport! You win you KNOW you beat the Very best.

If you pay attention you will notice after a while there are only a hand full of complainers on this site and they are the same ones every time.Don't bother arguing with them as it is a waste of time for anyone with a IQ of over 50!

This is a great site for finding shooting items and learning about shooting events.But please don't believe all the crap spewed on this site.The ATA is a game for most but for some it is a business and has to be run as such.I run my own business and believe me not all my decisions are accepted well. It will be the same with the EC and the board of directors of the ATA.

Go shoot, have fun and if you later wish to help make the game better, jump in and go for in.

I wish you a great time and many broken targets.

Terry Dean CHC
    Southern Zone

19. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Mike,

I am with you. Is the ATA perfect...nope... no organization is. IMO, they (actually its WE) do a pretty good job providing the framework for tournament shooting. Are there some things I would like different, sure there is. Maybe when I become King of the World, I will be 100% happy with the trapshooting rules I developed. :)

Got to remember, many of the loudest complainers here don't shoot registered targets, haven in years and many of those don't even shoot at all. Go figure.

20. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Mike:
    Nice post.
    Steve Balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.