1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why so few Beretta DT-10's in American Trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluedsteel, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Why so few Beretta DT-10

I have always been curious as to why there seem to be relatively few Beretta DT-10's used by American Trap shooters when compared to similarly priced guns, like Perazzi's and Kolars.

In my limited bunker trap experience, DT-10's are popular, and seem to be well liked by their owners. But step on an American Trap field, and DT-10's are relatively uncommon. I do see Berettas, like 682's, 687's, etc., but again, very few Beretta DT-10's.

Like most of the Perazzis and Kolars in their price range, the DT-10's have adjustable combs and ribs, excellent triggers, and they seem to be sturdy, etc.

Any thoughts or information?

bluedsteel

2. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Leo shoots his pretty well

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Perazzi, Kreighoff and Kolar.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I think because many consider it a step down for Beretta from the older ASE 90?

5. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

the first DT-10s had quality issues. A guy in MD had one of the first ones and it was a real beauty. unfortunately, the rib came off (posts failed).

Past that, I don't know that Beretta could ever differenciate the DT-10 from the 682. I think it is very difficult to market a high end model without running down your own less expensive gun (682) which you are trying to sell as a "just as good as" gun. Even the current ad features a kid you never heard of saying something stupid "with the DT10, you sight the target, you break the target". The ad goes on to talk about the gun being well made and reliable with no supporting data (how many guns, how many tournaments, and how many rounds). Marketing Failure

6. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

You haven't seen mine in the champions circle, because I am old and can't shoot that good...damn it. It ain't the guns fault.

JON

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I saw quite a few at Iowa state shot. In fact I saw tons of Beretta guns. Perazzi was first. My old teammate from Janesville WI broke 98 from the 27 with his Kolar. Me? I bought a new gun.

8. JONNY D

JONNY D TS Member

i dont know why there are only a few in the US but the reason there are only a few in AUSTRALIA is because there all back at beretta getting there triggers fixed!!! lifes just to short to own a beretta!

9. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

A message for Gary Waalkes --

You say a "kid you never heard of" advertising for Beretta. Gary, Gary - you must not be a student of the shotgunning game. This kid as you call him, happens to be the world record Olympic skeet shooter and the current 2008 Olympic gold metal skeet champion. Google the name Vince Hancock for more of his bio.

Tom Strunk

10. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Kid - final 200 targets straight for the Gold at the Olympics. Only been shooting since he was three or sumthin'. Yeah, them kids, wottle they do next???

Charlie

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I think the DT-10 didn't catch on as it should have because it's a Beretta - and that's being posted by the owner of two Beretta trap combos, so I'm not hinting at poor quality. Berettas have always been "affordable better guns" like Brownings and the like. To many people, a DT-10 just costs too much "for a Beretta." If Chevrolet or Ford produced a much nicer edition of the Impala or Taurus that cost $50,000, how many would they sell? I think most people shopping in that price range would be in a Cadillac or Lincoln showroom.

Poor marketing and pricing perception can be blamed.

Ed

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Ed's right. They stepped out of their comfort zone.

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Lousy price point. Never mind, they're coming out with a totally new gun next year. Just hope it doesn't look like their last disaster-the UBG-25!!

14. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I dunno, but I like mine, and Martin is getting along with his, too.

15. slotracer577

slotracer577 TS Member

As other have said, I think it is price point. I recently got a 682 for $2500 and the best prices I have seen on the DT-10's is in the 5k range. Is it worth twice the money for a nicer Beretta? Not to me. If I am going to spend big $$ I will either get a Perazzi or a Kolar.

16. porky

porky TS Member

You pay good money for the DT10 and get a piece of garbage for the forearm and buttstock. In order to get a half way decent piece of wood on a Beretta you have to pay at least $1000 above the initial cost. That turns alot of people off, that and the trigger breakage.

17. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Poor marketing is only one reason the gun is not sleek and pretty like the other top guns. If you go to the SO series Berettas you enter a new arena now they are right up there with the upper end guns and very competitive up to 150,000.00 guns. The 680 series Berettas are very good guns for the money and stand up to the hi volume of trap skeet and sporting IMHO

18. twopipe

twopipe Member

which model of Beretta has the triggers breaking ?

19. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but I couldn't find a Perazzi combo in the same price range that we found the DT-10 trap combo, so I can't understand what y'all are saying. Also, my wood is a LOT nicer than what I had on my Perazzi. Not saying that I don't like Perazzi, but from what I could find, the Perazzi combos were unaffordable for me.

20. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Beretta, not unlike a lot of companies, finds ways to compete with themselves, and the DT-10 is one of those 'twixt animals, as has been mentioned above a few times.

It 'replaced' the ASE and ASE-Gold ... :( but is not perceived (by anybody) to be their equal. Plus, as noted, they are priced wrong to be attractive.

I don't pay much attention to lumber, but a lot of the early adoptees liked neither the timber nor the trigger nor the fit & finish.

The only one I shot was a sporting model, and I thought it was more lifeless and a lump-of-mud than a 3200. I also don't like the Greener boxlock lash-up. It serves no real purpose and ads more parts and complexity.

I'm not much of a fan of drop-triggers, neither, but people like them (good marketing, Danielle!), and that seems to be the DT-10's ONLY 'advantage' over the 682.

They are good guns, absolutely, but I see no great reason they SHOULD be more popular.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

american chovckes for dt 10