1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why should the hdcp solution affect everyone

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jdsfarms, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Why is the solution to the percieved(I don't fully share the sentiment) hdcp problem aimed at eveyone,three hole targets faster targets,pouring more concrete ect.If the problem is 27yd shooters earning punches and not being further handicapped why don't we concentrate on that,seems a couple new classes would be a start without costing any money perhaps a 27/3 handicap class for the first punch you then have to shoot 3 hole targets every trap has a 3 hole and it takes 30 seconds to change it,then for the next punch a 27/3-1oz class you shoot 3 hole targets with 1 oz loads and so on.When you earn a reduction you move back down the ladder.Jerry

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Why not just do away with Handicap. Just shoot singles and doubles. That way you can get home in time for dinner. HMB

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

hmb

my wife thanks you

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If any of you had shot the big shoots at the Las Vegas Gun Club you would remember that Steve had a High Average 27 yard Class.
    If I remember correctly, if your 27 yard average was 97 or above, you were in a separate purse.

5. dhip

dhip Active Member

I like the idea thar after three purse wins you are put into a Brand New "Pro" Class.,,,,lmao

Doug H.

6. jdsfarms

Like I said above I really don't agree there is a problem but I really don't see why the solution for all those who do has to include penalties to all shooters or even the added expense of pouring a 30 yard line our club doesn't even have a 27 yd shooter in it's membership but if you hold a registered shoot you would need to pour a 30 yd line on at least 2 traps.Jerry

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"our club doesn't even have a 27 yd shooter in it's membership but if you hold a registered shoot you would need to pour a 30 yd line on at least 2 traps."

Really why would you need to pour a 30yd line on any traps.

Bob Lawless

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jerry, as improbable as it sounds today, once upon a time when such ATA change was mandated, it only affected the best and most dominate shooters in the sport!! How goofy was that line of thinking!! 22 yards should be the max considering how many problems the average shooters have at the 16 yard line?

Any change today should be directed toward accomplishing that same goal! When a fox volunteers to guard your hen house and you allow it, your egg and smarts supply is lacking?

Hap

9. jdsfarms

Bob,registered shoots include shooters other than club members you would need a 30 yard line to accomodate them if they show up,in all fairness they would need to shoot their targets on 2 traps like everyone else are you suggesting we just turn them away.Jerry

10. Hap MecTweaks

Why not allow them to shoot from the 27 yard line as they do now?

Hap

11. jdsfarms

Hap do you mean If their yardage is 30 let them shoot at the 27?Does everyone else get to move up 3 yds?Jerry

12. Hap MecTweaks

Jerry, when ATA mandated the then new max of 27 yards in 1955, clubs and shooters were allowed to compete from the 25 where clubs couldn't add the new yardage. Why should it be any different today? What could it hurt?

Hap

13. ivanhoe

"in all fairness they would need to shoot their targets on 2 traps like everyone else are you suggesting we just turn them away."

I guess Jerry in a round about way I am suggesting that before you enter the discussions on this subject. You should really read all of what is being said about the thirty yard line.

One thing that is said is to use the thirty yard line at the major shoots. No one except those that don't want it to happen has even suggested that it is needed at your small average weekly shoot.

Therefore the question. Why would you need, better yet your club need to pour a thirty yard line?? Just how many 27yd shooters that shoot your club will reach the 30 yard line????

Bob Lawless

14. jdsfarms

Your right Bob I don't understand the 30 yard line discussions and I should quit trying to.It's seems it's all to placate a group who thinks 27 yd shooters don't get further handicapped after a certain point so why would they install a rule that they could shoot at a shorter yardage than their assigned yardage at some shoots that will make everyone happy,that the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.Jerry

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The ATA also says we're all "amateurs"...

regards all,

Jay

16. Hap MecTweaks

Jerry, that stupid idea was directly from ATA in further handicapping the most proficient shots when they master the max? Worked fairly well for a lot of year too I might add. This isn't something a few here just came up with!

Hap

17. ivanhoe

Well Jerry tell me why they did it in 55???? Some clubs were given years to add the 2yds to the 27.

Just where did those shooters shoot from after they moved back from the 25????

You are right you really don't understand the 30yd discussion. Seem like you are more interested in how much the move to longer yardage would cost as said in this quote.

"seems a couple new classes would be a start without costing any money perhaps a 27/3 handicap class for the first punch you then have to shoot 3 hole targets every trap has a 3 hole and it takes 30 seconds to change it"

BTW PAT traps do not have any holes. They take longer to change than that also. While we are talking about unintelligent thoughts how will you squad the shooter that have their first punch they then have to shoot 3 hole.

So you now have one shooter at your club that has to shoot 3 hole targets he is at ? yardage. Yet he can't shoot with the rest of the long yardage shooters because they don't shoot 3 hole targets. That would mean you will have two traps that need to be set different than the rest. Just so it doesn't "effect everyone", when you talk about unintelligent you go all out (I never would have mentioned the classes you are talking about) if your comment about dumbest thing you have ever heard of, didn't pizz me off.

Bob Lawless

18. jdsfarms

Bob,You are correct I am worried about the cost we have a small club and with the cost of insurance it is stuggling to survive,I am back to my original opinion that the hdcp system is fine the way it is I would rather spend the money on incentives for young shooters and new membership and give up the registered shoot all together.Jerry

19. ivanhoe

"I am back to my original opinion that the hdcp system is fine the way it is I would rather spend the money on incentives for young shooters and new membership and give up the registered shoot all together."

Jerry I don't want to seem mean spirited or like I am looking for a fight. You again don't seem to understand. The handicap fix isn't for the good of your club or clubs like yours. It is for the long term good of the entire sport.

If the system keeps going the way it is everyone will that is going to be on the 27 will be there. The rest won't be able to shoot scores that will be better than the BD that would allow them to ever move back.

That last statement about young shooters and new membership you need to think about those quite a bit more. You might realize some thing that are effecting the outcome of both of those.

Bob Lawless

20. jdsfarms

Typical ATA type response Bob response small clubs and recreational shooters are not important that is why the sport is dying a 30 yard line isn't gonna save it thank God we have PITA in our neck of the woods.Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.