1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why shooters start shooting on certain positions?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Over the years, I have shot tournaments where certain shooters have demanded to start their shooting on a certain position. In fact, I knew one guy that if he could not start on postion # 3, he would drop off the squad and find a squad that he could start on that position.

When asked what was so special about position #3, he said that he believed that you should start shooting on the same position all the time, as he honestly felt he shot better doing the same thing each time he shot.

Vic Reinders always wanted position #5 to start shooting. When asked why, he would tell me that he gets to see 5 free targets before he actually starts shooting from #5.

I myself, always felt more comfortable starting on position #2. My reason was, just starting out I would not get extreme angles going left or right. In my particular case, I needed to loosen up a bit before I got to #5, or #1.

In handicap, I still liked to start on #2, but in doubles I wanted #4. Reason, I got to see where the first 3 shooters were breaking their targets.

Let's face it, trapshooters are a supersticious bunch. What position do you like to start shooting on, and why?

Steve Balistreri

2. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Steve, it really doesn't matter to me because I miss equally from all of the posts. Although, I think a lot of guys like to start on 3 or 4 for the purpose of seeing the targets and starting more from center postion to get warmed up for the harder angles on the left and right of 1 and 5. Many don't want 1 because they don't want to be first or lead the squad.

John

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

#5 is my preference... for me - I like to get my corners out of the way and yes, I get to hear a few "pulls" (I don't watch others targets) to get my rhythm...

For a buddy who is a lefty... who likes to typically start on #1, I cover his left 4/5 of the round...

Jay

4. dhip

dhip Active Member

Well,being new (3yrs) I have found out believe it or not,Station #1,seems best for me to start with.Mentally I think it makes me think I'm controling the squad and what goes on.Use to hate it when it was only one open,but found out by shooting it ,that's usually where my scores seem to be best for any particuliar squad.The first time I remember I looked down the line,sheeez,the fellas after me were four of the best shooters at the club that evening.I started shaking my head,and one looked over and said,you'll only get better if you shoot with the best.Don't sweat it.Sooo,I smiled and started.Didn't win squad ,but came in second.Made the point the shooter mentioned,I believe I might have concentrated just a bit better,not wanting to embarass myself.So,now I have no problem signing up at the #1 station.Works for me.

Doug H.

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Steve: I prefer #4 and at times I will shoot #1 if available. Last year I was shooting in one of the East Wisconsin Shotgun Sports money shoots. When I went to sign up all 5 positions were open. (New squad). Well I signed up for the #1 position. There was a guy in back of me that had his choice of 4 other positions. He said he wanted to sign up on the next squad; as he will only shoot on the #1 position. I foolishly let him take my spot and I shot on a different post. The more I thought about it, I should have let him wait for a new squad to open. Anyway, I feel a person has to shoot 5 targets on each post anyway; so what's the big deal on where you start! Ed

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If hard lefts from #1 eat you up, and hard rights from #5 are hard to catch up with, get your gun off the corner some and about the same height as the house corner.

7. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Steve: I forgot to mention that many years ago I was shooting at the Milwaukee Gun Club. At the time I usually shot the #5 position. Well when I signed up there were a couple of positions open, so I signed up on post #5. After I signed up, Vic Reinders came over to me and asked me if I would consider starting on position 3, so he could start on #5. It seemed Vic wanted to shoot early so he could assist with the shoot. Heck, I was just proud to be able to shoot with him. Ed

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I'm with spitter. I always try to start on 5. Get 5 and 1 out of the way, plus I've got some time for my eyes to get use to the background. Seems like when I first started shooting 5 was the only post left open, just got use to shooting it first.

Wayne

9. senior smoke

I no longer start off on #1. Reason being, after so many years of shooting I have trouble hearing the puller say ready, and when we move. Also, I don't want the added responsiblity of checking the scores and then having shooters asking me to see the sheet between traps.

Once I start to shoot, I am not big on socializing between traps. I always felt I could talk after the entire 100 targets was finished.

I have always felt that shooters that like to shoot lead off like being in charge, and also regulate the speed of the squad.
    Steve

10. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

This is a fascinating discussion. Actually, I never gave it a thought when I put my name on the sheet in the next available position. If I was starting a new sheet I was always number 1. Now, thanks to this thread, I will have something else to THINK about.

Larry

11. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

One old timer used to say starting on #1 had an advantage. You never had to walk back from #5. As I get older, it makes sense & if the rest of them don't like the targets they can squak.

Big Jack

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I like starting on post 1. If I'm straight I know the last post is like
    the finish line in a race, and I'm closing in on it.
    If I lose count of the number of shots on a post, I just look at the other
    shooters, and if they don't reload I know when it gets back to me I better
    not either.

Another benefit: At the Wisconsin state shoot a few years ago, after I shot
    my usual lousy handicap score, one of the other shooters came up to me and
    told me I was an excellent squad leader. Made my day!

13. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

I normally start on post 1 for the same reasons mentioned above -- it's usually what is open. I started leading off when I joined a league team, and none of my team members wanted to take post 1 (I think more that none of them wanted to be the guy that collected everyone's $$ that week and entered the squad, but i didn't find that out until after I "volunteered"). Anyway, you do get used to it, and when I have a choice I take post 1. I'll start at any post, though, if there's not much of a choice (like state shoots, the grand, etc.). I try not to get too attached ;-).

--Dan

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I start on position 4 when ever possible. Reason: I have started on 4 since I started shooting, so it is more of a routine. I like to start out on the right side because I feel like the first two stations are when I will be at my highest level of concentration. Plus 4 is a warm up for the hard rights to follow in 5. After running them in 4 and 5, I feel confident that once I get to 1, the left and slight angles will be a piece of cake. It is more of a mind thing.

15. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

smoke:

Three observations:

1. Nobody gets to choose where they start in a shoot off.

2. Getting overly hung up about where one starts is a nuisance when squadding. When someone can't start on their favority post, it can create mental baggage that's best avoided.

3. Starting from every position (at least occasionally) is a good for mental discipline.

I got into a habit of shooting lead off because so many other shooters avoid it. If there's only one post available on a squad, it is most likely post 1.

I'll start anywhere but I AVOID starting on post 2. Starting on post 2 forces me to focus on the lead off shooter until he/she calls for the first target of each post. Otherwise, I'm not ready when it's my turn to shoot. I'd much prefer to focus on my pre-shot routine and the fundamentals necessary to break targets.

sissy

16. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

For myself I like post one,

For those times when it is not available any station will do, well almost, When I started writing this there may be a station that I do not like to start on but have.

The comment about not picking where you shoot in a shoot off is valid. Most of those times that I have seen and done, the shoot management will flip left to right right to left. So if you have to shoot post one or two it is very probable to end up on four or five while likeing four or five see you on on or two. Be comfortable shoot them all is some of the best advice I have heard or read!

That almost negates my dislike of three, "stand there thinking ""flip this"" well almost.

Al

17. senior smoke

Sissy:
    Your comments do have some merit. I look at it this way, why not start off where you are most comfortable. Nothing worse, than entering a big tournament, and then shooting your first target and hearing that dreaded word, LOST!

In my own situation, If i start on #2, and I am straight, by the time I get to 5, I have a good chance to run them on that particular set of 25 targets. Now, if you saw my scores, you'd realize that nowadays it really doesn't matter as my scores are usually low.

One thing about aging, my mind tells me that I can still do things like a young man. Once I look into a mirror I ask who is this old man? Years ago, I shot a lot, and no matter what score I had at the previous shoot, good or bad, the next shoot I honestly believed that it was a new day and that I could run them.
    Steve

18. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

I will shoot any post. If i'm having trouble with a single post I will usually start there. When Jack Gracey was alive I never shot to his left ( he liked 4) because he was so fast he sometimes put up the gun a little early.
    Later after his match rifle blew up ( another story ) he slowed down.

After 40 years of shooting I could care less.

Rick

19. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

having any hang up on any position is a negative. It takes the entire field to break a winning score. you should have enough faith in your ability to break the first bird out regardless of where you are. what would you do in a shoot off? you have no choice so don't pattern yourself to fail

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It is hard not to have a 'favorite post' but unfortunately this is just another example of the junk thoughts that we burden our pee brains with. By having a favorite that means there are other posts that you are less comfortable with and right there you put the idea of failure in your mind.

None the less we try to give shooters thier choice of starting posts when they squad - if it is possible. More shooters than not do have a preference and there are a few whiners that just refuse to start on cretain posts (usually #1)

Given the choice I will start on post #4 beacuse that means I get to finish on post #3 which usually has the easiest shots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.