1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why shooters do not like reclaimed lead shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Lead Miner, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lead Miner

Lead Miner Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I recently delivered a load of polished reclaimed lead shot to Ohio. On this trip I had a guy named Joe that drove down from Detroit and bring me some reclamed lead shot that he had bought from someone in Michigan. I am not going to menton any names. I had made a deal with Joe to trade in this stuff for my good stuff. I never looked at it till just now. Sorry but I had to share. Here is what it looks like. Ths guy is actually putting this crap in bags.
    [​IMG]

I also stopped at a major distribitor and picked up a bag of what they were selling. at least this one looked much better. Here it is.
    [​IMG]

Now take a look at what I sell.
    [​IMG]

Now I understand why some of you do not like reloadng reclaimed lead shot. If you buy the crap on the top of this thread it will ruin all your equipment. If you buy the second one then at least the dirt s gone. But if you buy what I have you understand why my customers are happy customers.

Next year we will probably expand and ship Nationwide.

Hope you had a Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year.

Terry vonSeggern
    Green Excavating & Mining Solutions, LLC
    Fremont, Nebraska
    402-720-6347

2. t7731

t7731 Member

What is that stuff in the first pic? Looks like moon rocks.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Terry,

I had a similar experience before I bought your shot. I believe I told you about it when I met you. Unfortunately a few bad apples out there give the whole reclaimed shot industry a bad name. Well after buying your shot I am sold. You most certainly have the process down to a fine art. I was impressed with the way you showed me the stuff you advertise is the stuff you sell. Keep up what you are doing and I will continue to tell everyone how great your product is.

Straight from your bag.....
    [​IMG]

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Will you ship shot in priority mail boxes,? Two bags to a box drove my mailman crazy..

5. Lead Miner

We used to ship some that way but too often the mailman dropped the box or decided not to deliver it. We are going to figure out a better way and may give it another shot. Terry

6. 808state

808state Member

Terry I know it might not be worth your while but if you started shipping to Hawaii via USPS flat-rate I would definitely buy 50#s on a regular basis.

Aloha,
    Mark

7. truthseeker

truthseeker Member

That is why I WILL NOT shoot ANY reclaimed shot through my Perazzi!

8. grntitan

"That is why I WILL NOT shoot ANY reclaimed shot through my Perazzi!"

Ok, why??

9. 808state

808state Member

Actually I meant to say USPS Priority. That's how I've been getting my reclaimed shipped from Recob 50# for $13.20. I guess Midway, Recob, and Gamaliel are all committing mail fraud each time they make a shot shipment. SMH.

10. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

Actually the USPS will ship 70 lbs of lead in a Priority medium Flat Rate Box for $11.35 or $10.70 if you print your own postage online.

Express Flat rate envelope overnight to most places is $18.95. The Express Flat Rate box is $39.95.

Lead is not hazardous to the USPS or DOT for shipping, so there are no restrictions.

The key to shipping lead is to put the shot bags in another strong bag and then double box.

Recob's does a very good job of packaging their shot for shipment.

Tim

11. 808state

808state Member

Thanks Tim, for educating another internet idiot.

12. grntitan

You mean the know-it-all Sportshot was WRONG???? Say it ain't so.

13. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

No offense Terry, but how can people pay mega bucks on a Seitz, P gun or K gun (to name a few) and then cheap out to save 10 bucks+/- on a bag of shot? Blows me away.

14. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Anybody run a magnet thru the shot to see the percentage of steel shot is mixed in. I heard that most reclaimed has a percentage in it.

I'm not one to shoot reclaimed. I would shoot the redrop but I wonder what percentage of antimony would be in it.

For practice on 16 and 20 yard may be ok but to use it at a ATA shoot or for games. I don't really think so. Especially if you pick all your other componets for picticular advantages. Wild Bill

15. pitt4570

pitt4570 Member

i shoot reclaimed all the time i dont like the moon rock stuff either had some and mixed it in with some other shot and it was a pain in the butt

16. grntitan

I ran a very powerful magnet through the tub I have pictured above and not even a spec of steel dust came out. I have loaded quite a bit of Terry's reclaimed shot now and I swear by it.

17. 808state

808state Member

The reclaimed shot from Recob had a small amount of steel in it. It's easy enough to filter out with a strong magnet.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=319767

18. Lead Miner

Hitapair. No offence taken. But if a shooter can afford a P. Gun he can afford new shells. Plus that is why we use wads. If a guy reloads crappy reclaimed shot that is dirty i can maybe think that it would be a possibility to scratch a barrel. This is why i have worked so hard to try to make my reclaimed shot as good as possible. It is very clean and is ran across a magnet twice to remove the steel. However there is no 100% garentee. I do know that i sell to a lot of repeat customers and i save them a lot of money. All i can suggest is that anyone that buys reclaimed lead shot to shoot needs to trust their own judgement as it is there gun that they are shooting it thru. I do not try to talk anybody into shooting my reclaimed. But they try it, like it and buy more of it. Terry

19. djldb6

djldb6 Member

My friend and I tried 500#s on one of Terry's trips through Chicago and were lucky enough to catch him one more time this year for another. His product is clean and loads like new shot. In fact just for fun I tried it in my 410 MEC 9000 (it has a straight shot tube, no taper) and I have had no issues with bridging at all (much to my pleasant surprise). I can't recommend the Leadminer highly enough and plan on buying lots more his next trip through the greater Chicagoland area.

Dan

20. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I'm not sure if it was yours that I bought at Roberson Ranch but it was nice and clean. It was stored in barrels. I think I bought 1500 lbs and have just about run out. Tried to get some more but they guys weren't able to go pick it up when you were driving through so will wait and watch when you will be close to me. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to estimate the amount of lead shot to be reclaimed

is reclaimed lead shot ok

is reclaimed shot good

reclaimed shot any good

recobs reclaimed shot

what does bad lead shot look like