1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Shoot ATA?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by spitter, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I read with interest the thread on why many stop shooting ATA, but while I've been shooting trap for 12 years, I have not felt a compelling reason to shoot ATA.

I truly enjoy my recreational shooting (of which I do quite a bit) which includes 16 yard and handicap, leagues and games my Club sponsors throughout the year. Add in some skeet and sporting and I'm shooting every week...but why should I shoot ATA?

I'm open minded - a number of my shooting buddies from my Club shoot ATA, attend the Grand and Satellite Grands - what hot button hasn't been hit here?!

Respectfully offered,

Jay Spitz

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

To pit your skills against the best in the world. To bring your competitive shooting to the next level. I like camping out at the big shoots doing what I enjoy and being in the fellowship of other people with the same interest.

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Jay,

For every ten shooters who shoot for recreation you will probably find one or maybe two or maybe 5 who is shooting for the competition and to face off with and against the best if only in their dreams ... I see many people out here in Arizona who shot ATA at one time or another who have backed off for what ever reason they personally have for doing so who continue to shoot on a regular basis ... The people who shoot ATA find reason to and those that don't have just as valid a reason not to, what ever the reason might be ... It would probably prove interesting to find out just how many shooters shoot ATA and or just for recreation ... When I was involved with the Old Phoenix club out here in Arizona if we depended on the shooters from just registered shooting we would of thrown a lot less targets, and that included the then Spring Grand ... Play the game your way and for your own reasons and let the others do the same because there is no right or wrong ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

Above, and I find that travel expenses, are the same whether for a 50 bird event or a 300 bird event. I also like to play the money options which are not available at the weekly 50 bird shoots. Bottom line: is it worth it to spend $30.00 to shoot 50 birds? Gas, shells, fees. I also find the ATA shoots relaxing. The 50 bird leagues have become for me/us in this area; miss and out. Shoot a fifty and it better be early, which means I have to hustle my ass to the club and shoot in less than ideal light conditions, bright low lying sunlight in order for my score to count. It`s your time and money to enjoy as you see fit. Life is short, enjoy.

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

Because it is there and because you can. Many people as of late have been complaining about the ATA but they are what they are and it is what it is. ATA is probably the premier trap shooting organization in this country and if your a premier shooter you should be shooting with the ATA!

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If you want to pit yourself and your skills against the very best sell your guns and reloading stuff and buy into the WPT (World Poker Tour) for $10,000 ... The return on your money might be a lot better,(1 Million plus) your chance of winning will be greater if you get the right cards, and its climate controlled ... If you lose wait until next year and try it again with the money you would of spend on guns, ammo, traveling, hotels, motels, gas, meals, wear and tear on the vehicle and so forth ... Sooner or later you might be a big winner either way you choose to go, shoot or play poker ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

What? That aint me babblin on about selling guns and such to play poker.

8. BMC

BMC Member

I think there have been enough threads over the past week to give plenty of reasoning why people choose to shoot registered targets and why they don't. As noted time and time again, it boils down to being a personal thing, often something that others simply will not or cannot understand.
    Personally I'm a competitive person and thirst for the chance to compete against others in things I like to do. I recall when I got started shooting trap regularly, I was told by many that it wasn't worth it shoot ATA. I joined a local trap club, both for the sake of making new friends, and for the challenge of competing for the monthly and annual prizes. While shooting targets is fun, knowing that each hit and each miss actually mean something in the big picture is what excites me. It is what has kept my son wanting to shoot...to be shooting for something rather than just for fun.
    A friend in the club tried for months to get me shoot registered targets. Finally he made a point that has stuck with me ever since. His comments were to the effect that I go and shoot every weekend, mostly for nothing more than to shoot targets, calling it practice, etc...so why not make those targets mean something? Spend pretty much the same money and time shooting targets that have some meaning after they are dusted or lost. It made a lot of sense to ME, though I won't doubt it wouldn't for someone else. It boils down to the personality and the desire. I now prefer that each and every target that lines up on my barrel to mean something, and often mean something even more when I manage to end up with a better performance than those I look up to. I find that is one of the greatest satisfactions of this registered target game.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Maybe your afraid to pit your skills aganist others. Fear of failure may be your issue.

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

About the only thing ATA targets are about is numbers in a book. Shooting ten's of thousands of targets yearly with a 90 average should be somewhat embarrassing. I'd suggest those shooters of that mindset should invest some of that money in a good clinic.

Those who actually believe their competing against the best in the world are living in some fantasy land. The vast majority soon find out the only person their competing against is themselves. Once they find out their not a Tiger Woods or Kay Ohye they quit and take up Bowling or Fishing.

Now if the ATA would get off it's duff and address the inequities in the Handicap system we'd at least have one event where more shooters are competetive again. That was always the #1 reason to join the ATA in our area!!

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

But Ollie (Andy) , your handicap average is about 82, doubles little better and never have been. Isn't that "embarrassing?"

I hope you don't think we are going to do anything to make you competitive at handicap - we'd need a 40 yard line, wouldn't we?

Neil

12. southpark

southpark TS Member

This reminds me of the original Conan movie staring The Arnold.

It went like this:

Khitan General: We have won again.

That is good! But what is best in life?

Khitan Warrior: A fleet horse, the open steppe, falcons at your breast, and the wind in your hair.

Khitan General: Wrong! Conan, what is best in life?

Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

Khitan General: That is good.

13. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

The only way to measure ones progress is to compete and keep score. How can I justify a high end shotgun if I only shoot practice? Why would I take a vacation day to shoot practice? Why would I stay at home and cut the grass when I could be shooting all day? To each his own, but I cannot for life of me figure out why so many of you make up so many excuses to avoid shooting ATA. I think it is because the quitters and non-starters cannot handle losing and now make up any excuse to either quit or not start. Just my opinion.

14. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

I shoot better in competition than practice (thank God).

Rock

Jm

15. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Beacuse it is the only shooting that really counts for something. I shoot some league and practice also, but it doesn't MEAN anything! The best shooters in the country AND the best shoots are ATA shoots. It would be like you being a pretty good pool player, but you only like to shoot on 3ft. childrens tables, just ridiculous! Until you have been to the Grand and many big state shoots, lots of times, where my buddies have had some of the best times of our lives, you may not understand. What do you practice for, practice????? If it wasn't for the great competition, and the great fun of ATA shooting, I would probably go from 12,000 birds a year to 300! Other shooting is like childrens games in comparison.

16. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

First let me say that I appreciate the generally positive nature of the responses, while the other thread took (by its nature) the other perspective. Many valid points have been discussed and I would enjoy hearing additional comments.

Couldn't hurt to dip a toe and test the waters at some point in the future and I do have a few fellow shooters who can point me down the path!

Sincere thanks for the above feedback and I hope to hear more!

Jay

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Neil, simply go back in your archives to when I used to shoot competetively and I think your report might glow much brighter.

Then run a series of studies telling me how to pull the second shot in doubles without flinching. Alot of us old timers will value your opinion and remember it happens to many so don't chuckle too loudly.

By the way, my handicap average in 1976 was 92.00 and Singles in 1998 was 98.28. Keep practicing and your numbers might get as high as mine!

One of these days I might start practicing Handicap again, then- look out! Yours in fun with numbers! Andy

18. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Why shoot ATA - Because I get to SHOOT!!!

BTW - Not to start a feud, but just because someone shoots a 99.28 average at the club doesn't mean he could do it when the chips are on the line. Competition is not for everyone.

Hubcap

19. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

jcl

Maby he just likes being a big fish in a small pond?

ed.

20. Tjack

Tjack TS Member

Don't worry about joining the ATA. Save Your money. Just learn to shoot from the 25 Yd line,That's most clubs penalty yardage anyway, Kick there ass take there money and you don't have to take any yardage from a crooked organization. I know a guy who did it for years and he kicked ass.

Tim Jack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.