1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

/////why reload //////

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by goose2, Mar 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Past reloading being a hobby. Why would anyone reload with the cost to do it? I can by shells for $38.00 a case and it cost $45.00 to reload. It just does not make cents to me. Can anyone tell me diff?

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

What the heck does this have to do with a release trigger.

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I will try and get you some pictures as soon as possible.

4. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

I am reloading for 2.75 a box which is $27.50 a flat.

Promo, Green Dusters, Rio Primers, Eagle Shot, and scrounged STS hulls.

Powder = $71 for 8lbs,....
    Dusters = $65 for 5000,....
    Rio Primers = $78 for 5000,....
    Eagle shot = $23.95 for 25lbs

All bought today so these prices are current.

Paying 27.50 a flat is better than paying 40 a flat for throw-a-ways.

You just have to get economical with reloading components. You can find them if you look around. If you pay 150 for primers, 30 for shot, 120 for powder, and 90 for wads like when you buy premium components you have may have a point. But if you are satisfied with cheapo throw a way factory shells, you can get economical with components too and its cheaper than factories.

5. LABS4U0

LABS4U0 TS Member

I agree with Big Al, Just ordered 5K Fio primers at less than $100 because the Fed 209A primers were $140. Just wait and see what the price of those $38 a flat shells are next time your source has to replace them. I still enjoy reloading my own shells and I use a MEC 600, so it is not a fast process. If you are worried about the price of lead, you may want to try some 7/8 oz loads to save a few cents per shell. Just my two cents worth of info. Happy shooting!

6. JRD

JRD TS Member

GOOSE2, what are you stuffing into your reloads? Must be something good for that price.

7. scott k

scott k TS Member

less then $2.00 a box making my own shot

8. gasman03

gasman03 Member

When buying a flat at that price you are getting a good one time round but when reloading I feel that I am getting a premium round that is taylor made for what I am shooting.

Corey

9. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

At 23.50 a bag for lead, it might still be ok but locally the lead prices here in the Northwest have been running $30. I haven't checked Connies lately so there it might be a little cheaper, but then you have to factor in fuel and travel time so the cost goes up..

At $30 a bag shot, ran through the cost calculators on the front page, works out to $3.73 or so a box using Clays powder, cheddite primers, clay duster wads, and scrounged STS or Gun Club hulls. On sale I can buy Gun Clubs for $40 a flat. Hobby and relaxation aside, it doesn't cost out to me to reload for .25 cents a box in savings. Besides at least for me, the quality of the shells isn't the reason that I miss when I do.

I do keep a supply of components on hand and do have reloaders for the gauges I shoot for the day that shells may be difficult to buy though because I plan to be shooting for as long as I live.

10. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

Because when you reload you you use the component's you choose.Most companies are putting together the cheapest crap they can their hands on to keep profits up.I'm not saying they all do, but you can bet most do.Until the cost of me reloading exceeds buying them ,I will keep reloading....my 2cents Don

11. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i like to reload for a few reasons,1)where else can you get away from the world for a few hours at a time and never leave your basement(and have time to spend with my shooting partner my 15 year old son),2)i do save money(compared to shooting a factory nitro,or sts,or aa),even though im using premium componets,and i have noticed a lot better break over the cheaper factory stuff,will be making my own shot soon,and that will allow me to even save moore money, you have to enjoy the reloading as mutch as shooting or else you may never justify the cost

scott k,thank you for the great videos on your shotmaker setup,im ordering my stewart next week,mark jones

12. model12s

model12s TS Member

#1 i reload because i enjoy it and i get a premium product for a fraction of the cost. what i like to shoot is winchester AA 11/8 oz. 8 shot 1200fps but i cannot afford those at 59.99 a case so i use wst powder,winchester wads,winchester primer homade shot=1.97 per box if i buy my shot 3.75 per box still saving 2.25 per box

13. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Goose ==If it its costing you $45 to reload, you SURE don't know how to buy components at a reasonable price. I'm still reloading for under $3 a box, and at around 12,000 rds per year thats a good savings, AND I can reload them just how I want them. I just wish I had more time to reload with the dozens of other things I need to do during the week, like go to work too.

14. oletymer

oletymer Member

Connies is still 21.99 a bag and with Promo, Fio. primers, claybuster wads I can beat the price you pay for shells.

15. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I load with REX 1, Windjammer II, RIO/F616 primers, and NorthWest Magnum shot bought for 14 bucks a bag. I load for 1.98 per box (1oz) FD

16. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

April 1st they will announce a new, improved, reclaimed powder recycling apparatus.

17. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I haven't read all the posts but the Question is. why Reload. Cheeper. And you can find your nitch in the recipies that will soot for you. Never know, you might hit on that one that will put ya in and make a star out of ya. The shell will shoot the way you want them to not the way the factory wants you to. Dosen't hurt to do some new shells once in awhile. Keeps ya on your toes and also replenishs the shells that you might be need to replace. Rich. (iknPeoria,Az.)

18. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

You may be buying cheap shells at $38 per flat now, but with the high cost of components you will find that those costs will be increasing fast too. Our costs to buy shells in quantity for my club have been climbing fast the last year, and I don't think we are gettig any at $38 per flat for bulk purchases (100 flats or more). I agree with those who say your reloading costs seem high. Also I like the quality of my reloads over cheap shells.

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Goose 2: you must not be on the 27 because, you wouldn't be there very long shooting the El-Cheapo shells you use.

20. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Where does it say Connies is 21 a bag for shot? I was on their website and it said 27.95 a bag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.