1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why reload Federal hulls?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bruce Em, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Compared to AA and STS etc with tapered bases, Fed hulls take more powder per same velocity and a different wad.

So other than the possibility of less perceived recoil, why use them?

thanks!

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Well, I just bought a bunch of Gold medal hulls to use for Bunker loads. I happen to feel the Federal 12S0 is the very best 24g wad around and it doesn't fit well in my preferred STS hulls if you put enough powder to obtain more than 1250fps. 1350fps is no problem using Amer Sel in the GM hull.

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Since you have to ask, then you won't understand...

4. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Because when I started reloading eight or nine years ago, factory Winchester shells were not the best, splitting down the side sometimes on the first shot and were overall problematic, not to mention crimps opening up after reloading. So I bought lots of Federal Gold Medal factory ammo (it was also a lot cheaper than AAs and Remingtons) and began reloading the hulls. No splits or cracks in the hulls, and no crimps opening up. Easy and hassle free reloads. I accumulated trash-cans full of hulls and am still reloading them to this day using the 12SO wad, Titewad, and Win 209 primers.

Jennifer

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

WHY NOT?

6. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I still have some of those ribbed Fed hulls that were the standard before the current smoothie. You can load them 5 times and they still look great. Try that with a AA, old or new style.

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

federal is a great company. when the 12s3 wad came out, it did not fit just right. i originally purchased 250 12s3wads and wrote to the company telling them there was a problem. in a few weeks i received a letter, plus ups deivered 5,000 new 12s3 wads. over the years, i had a problem with remington new shells, they did not have the courtesy to respond to my letters. also the rem rep would not do anything about it either. same thing with winchester new shells not going off in winter years ago in cold wheather. i will only deal with companies who will treat me the same way i would have treated them. end of story.
    steve balistreri

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

People shoot Federal shells because they are good. People reload Federal Hulls because they are good.

Federal paper shells- They are in a class by themselves.

Pat Ireland

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I agree with the posters who love and load Fed hulls.

The promo hulls load great several times, and give good results. The Gold Medals are fantastic for Bunker and long range Handicap loads, and the Papers ARE in a class by themselves.

The 12SO, 12S3 wads and their clones are also in a class by themselves. :^)

The FED 209A primer is, arguably, the best domestic field, target, and inclement weather primer, if not the cheapest.

10. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Thanks Guys (and Gals)

I see TONS of these hulls go in the trash. People won't pick them up not even AA's. The Gun Clubs, they take.

I wanted your perspective on them. They seem like they are best with 1 oz or 1 1/8 loads.

Only one person replied on recoil but didn't say it mattered to him so I still don't know about that aspect.

I grew up wacking hand thrown clays with Monkey Wards Monark shells (papers) and I still have them. Hows that!

I shoot alot of 7/8 loads and have only focussed on AA types (Love my RXP's but I'm running out)

Love the 12S0 wad but I use it in STS hulls mostly.

So what are your favorite loads for the Fed hull using Red dot Green dot 700x or unique?

thanks again for the inspiration to go this way.

11. bambambam

bambambam Member

I reload the paper shells for that aromic smell after it is fired and because I have a lot of them

12. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

Federal Goldmedal paper hulls are the creme de la crem of shot shells, but their pricey so you won`t see everyone using them, I`ve Been loading GM`s plastic for years, excellent hull, much less perceived recoil, can reload them 8 or 9 times, excellent for 1oz loads using Claybuster wads,clays powder, winch. primer. Just trying out some Downrange purple xl-1 wads with mixed results (Downrange says it`s the same as winch. wads or claybuster but their not). :( not getting good consistant crimps, the shot cup struts are about 1/8" shorter, (would like to talk to Downrange bout that )Just tried loading some of the wally world Fed. hulls,just for ha has. their actually not bad. load well, good crimps (MEC 9000g)smokes the targets try em you`ll like em Right Pat? good luck Mark

13. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I love 'em. With PB & S-3 wad,lowest felt recoil in 1 1/8. Using 19.0 PB,SO wad,1 oz shot,Fed 209A primer,a powder puff that disintegrates tagets. Absolutely no better 1 oz load & I have been reloading shotgun for over 40 years.
    The very best hull EVER made is the GM with the Flying Duck on the base.

14. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

One more question; Are the following shells all the same (top guns/ GM plastic/ Fed papers) as far as reloading goes? ie similar case volume, interior base shape etc.

The same as AA's and gun clubs are similar provided you don't use maximum loads where it needs to be exact.

I see various loads velocities and pressures but havent studied the data enough to determine if the same load in each gives "comparable" results.

thanks again

15. AAA 27 AAA

AAA 27 AAA TS Member

I switched from AA's to Gold Medal plasitc for multiple reasons.

1. Winchester redesigned their hull (collar), which causes problems as the hull is reloaded multiple times. For me by the third reload, the hull would ofter collapse in the center.

2. I started using the 3 dram Gold Medal and found it to be superior in pattern density and less recoil than the 3 dram Winchester, and my scores went up in both hanicap and singles.

3. I use Alliant Powder (Green Dot) which also happens to be the powder Federal uses in the 3 dram and 2 3/4 dram loads, therefore I was able to dulplicate to Federal load with ease. (3 dram (20 grains) 2 3/4 19.5 grains) Awesome loads.

I like the Federal 3 dram load so well, and due to the fact their harder to find in my area, I brought back 60 flats from Sparta WalMart and the Shell House at the Grand.

16. IM390

IM390 Member

Top Gun can be used more reloaded times than any other hull. I haven't found a powder than can't be used in them. In most clubs, they're free. And there are millions of them available from the non-reloaders.

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Federal GMs are second only to STS/Nitro27 hulls (IMO). In the interest of minimizing my inventory of wads, I mostly load the STS/gun glub hulls. If there is any down side to the Federal GM hull it would be its large internal volume that generally requires a bit more powder to achieve the desired velocities. That large volume can be a good thing for the heavier HC and/or field loads. The plus side of the Federal GM hull is that you can usually get them for next to nothing and they do crimp and wear nicely with the proper comination of components.

My question would be why would anyone bother with a lesser quality hull than the GM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can you reload federal 3 dram

federal 12s0 wad and titewad powder

reload federal paper downrange wad

reloading 12 ga sts hull and fed 12s3 wad for cold weather

why use paper hulls