1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why release triggers??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Can someone please explain to this country boy what release triggers are for?

How they help...or not?

I don't have clue what they accomplish..

Thanks..Stan

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

For guys like me

mia_2008_0303197.jpg

3. StansCustoms

Sorry...I didn't understand the answer..

Stan

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Maybe this will help. For guys like me..........
    grntitan_2009_2503179.jpg

Cured my flinching problem.

5. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

Check out the link to a YouTube explanation from Larry Potterfield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PA7JxLdHTE

6. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

If you try one - here is what to remember. Put the gun up, pull the trigger. The gun will not go bang but you will hear a click. If you relax your trigger finger at all - it will fire. So with the trigger under control, you call for a target, see the target, and swing the gun. When you get just in front of it, just let go of the trigger - dead bird.

7. StansCustoms

Thanks for the link Utah...that I understand!

...now I guess I need someone to explain the significance of the photos??

The reason I asked about release triggers..I have been looking for a Grade III Browning BT 99 with a Monte Carlo stock...and found one. Only problem is that it has a release trigger. I love the feel of the gun...and it's priced well I think. But I just don't know if I could get used to a release trigger.

Is that something that is hard to adapt too...and would it really hinder anyone who doesn't have a flinching problem(...at least yet)??

Thanks and best regards..Stan

8. grntitan

Stan,

You don't want to go to a release if its not needed. They are not that hard to learn but I wouldn't be using it if I didn't need to. You can have the gun converted back to pull for $50 at Phillips Gunsmithing. I posted the pic just as a joke after MIA did. If you see under my pic, I stated it cured my flinch. Hope this helps.

9. StansCustoms

Thanks Grntitan..

Helpful indeed....

$50 at Phillips Gunsmithing, that sounds cheap enough! Where are they?

I called aplace Called Elk's Castle here in Fort Worth...which is a last resort for me. I really dislike the place and the snooty people there...they quoted me $100-$150 and would have to order parts yada yaada yada...

They act like everything has a some considerable degree of difficulty...and always are high on their repairs.

Alpine Gun range (our other big gun shop)...won't do it at all??? Go figure...

Stan..

10. mcurry2507

mcurry2507 TS Member

If u don't want it u could probably post for a trade. Most guys around me are always lookin for one. Somebody would probly trade you square for it.

11. grntitan

Phillip's Gunsmithing

Phillip Crenwelge<br>
    #51, 146 W. William street<br>
    ALBERT LEA , MN. 56007<br>
    Phone: 210-313-5988<br>
    E-Mail: pgcrenwelge@yahoo.com<br>

He does great work and has very fast turn-around time. He is the guy who installed my release in my above pictured Beretta. My gun was back to me in just under two weeks and 6 days of that was shipping.

12. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Stan, if you call Phil, he may still be in Texas. Give hime a call and see. If not you can ship him your receiver and he will fix you right up. Best trigger man I know of. Good luck, Tim

13. StansCustoms

Dang grntitan...back in less than 2 weeks!! That's unheard of around here...even locally! Heck of a recommendation...thanks for that and the address too...

Stan...

Mcurry you're right, I could always trade out of it too...Stan

14. StansCustoms

TD1958...

About Phil ....Still in Texas...is he at a gun show or something??

Stan...

note: I haven't bought the gun yet..

15. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Stan call Phillip and ask where to send the receiver as he will be headed for the spring grand. He is in Texas right now as I just got my receiver back from him. I made the mistake of not calling him and sent mine to his home. It took almost a month to get it back. It was my fault not his as I should have called him.

Dave

16. StansCustoms

Ok guys thanks..

I'll call him and see where he is, if I buy it.

Well...I'll call him unless I can fix it myself as mac1 suggest..(thanks for the tip Mac)

Best regards...Stan..

17. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Stan, if you buy the gun you just might want to try the release trigger for awhile before changing it. I went to a release trigger two years because of a very bad flinch problem. It took only a few shots to get used to shooting with the release & now I really prefer it to a pull trigger. It now seem like the natural way to shoot. I would not go back to a pull trigger for trap now even if I didn't have a bad flinch problem. Just my personal experience for what it's worth. Good Luck!

18. StansCustoms

Thanks for that Hunter..

I figured I might try it just for shi#z and giggles...and to know what it felt like...even if I did have it changed. Who knows ...somewhere down the line I might need to know how it felt and want to have it.

Not that I haven't ever flinched...depends on how much pounding my cheek has taken... These O/U's are getting meaner or I'm gettin' older.

Thanks..Stan

19. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The only complaint you hear from shooters who have changed to a release trigger is that they didn't do it sooner.

20. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Releases are really worthwhile IMO. When I started shooting, I didn't ever run a 25 straight until I had my pull trigger tuned and lightened. Then I bought a computer in the late 90's. I type a lot, computers take a very deft typing touch if one touch types, types a lot, and is a fast typist. I am.

Started using computers and shooting some rifles varminting, etc., and well, bye bye pull trigger. All felt way too heavy except if under 2lbs pull. Flinching started. Went to release. A release that is "calm", that is not overly sensitive on the relase end of it, in trap, works best for me.

In the bang-bang, less "rifle" like world of skeet, (which I try out once or twice a year, I'm not anywhere good at it..) I can use a decent pull trigger and in trap doubles. But any heavy pull trigger gives me fits.

It is called: "The Adaptation Level as a Frame of Refrence'...a classic study...light keyboards on computers ruined me! So...no harm, no foul, try a release trilgger...and they feel, IMO, much more precise and make the gun feel like a much more precise (read expensive!!!) instrument.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

why release trigger