1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why pressure cookers for bombs?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Zoom.Golly, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

From what I heard on the news it is because you don't need high explosives but can use more common gun powder in a pressure cooker bomb. I'll bet the "more common gun powder" means the smokeless powder we use. I could see where smokeless powder burning in a pressure cooker could become a bomb.

If so, expect life to get harder for reloaders.

2. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I think because the lids lock on and more mass then a standard pot.As far as materials for bombs match heads work also, there is no shortage of things to blow up or how.It a shame how many people were affected.

3. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I guess it works like a pipe bomb. The pressure cooker contains the "explosion" until the pressure build up and blows the pressure cooker apart. Cleaver,. I never heard of it until now. I guess anything that can be sealed would work as well.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Obama will be trying to outlaw pressure cookers next

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Damn! there goes my Smoked ham and cabbage

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Only an idiot from Time would use a pressure cooker to cook rice

It would be neat if all these investigative reporters really had a functioning brain

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Looks like sam.browne is one of Bloomberg's trolls!

Quote:

"more common gun powder" means the smokeless powder we use

looks like a lot of smoke in the pictures ... so it is not smokeless powder.

ahab_2008_0303162.jpg

8. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

We used to cut match heads and put them in a chunk of copper tubing, crimp both ends. Put a little fuse in it, bury it and boom! Ant hills were toast.

9. Catpower

Itchy you better home Napolatano doesn't read that she will send the troops out after you

10. Catpower

One time my wife almost used one well not for a bomb but it damn near ended up as one, she had it boiling a little too strong and something got up and plugged the vent

Thank God there was a "break away" gasket

It did make a hell of a mess though

11. Zoom.Golly

Ahab - If you have a problem with what I wrote take it up the talking head on CNN or whatever station was on the TV when I walked thru the waiting room at my doctor's office. It caught me attention because I know that a TNT explosion gives black smoke, and according the the talking head modern military explosives give gray smoke. Talking head said it was white smoke in Boston. White smoke? Gray smoke? Look at the pictures and make up your own mind.

12. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Maybe this isn't a topic for our board!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

If it proves to be "smokeless" powder, expect the subject of inserting "taggants" into powder to resurface. Supposedly makes it easier to trace where the powder was purchased. Of course, that would require something like doing a background check and registering the powder...

All that white smoke looked suspiciously like black powder to me! I heard one of the people being interviewed say she smelled sulphur in the air. (But then another person said it smelled like "cordite", so who knows...)

Any fool that can count to three can order charcoal, sulphur, and potassium nitrate from fleabay and make blackpowder. Tough to regulate something like that!

14. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

i was watching the news when they said it was black powder, and i thought oh god here we go! more ammo for democrats to say how we need more restrictions on reloading supplys!

15. Zoom.Golly

TV news this evening said the pressure cooker was filled with a low energy explosive.

16. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

The pressure cooker is just a large diameter pipe bomb. These can be made with many types of energetic material such as smokeless powder, black powder (Pyrodex) or others. With the locking cover it is able to hold the internal pressure for a longer period of time to give you a bigger bang.
    By the field labs I have been at black powder (Pyrodex) makes for more pressure (bigger bang) than smokeless powder. In stating that, “TATP” (Triacitone-Triperoxide) is more powerful yet. This can be manufactured in your shop. Please note that not manufactured correctly it could be fatal to the bomb builder.

17. oz

oz Active Member

My mother always used a pressure cooker in the 50's (for cooking). My wife won't as she is very afraid of them.

18. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

EASILY FOUND AT GARAGE SALES, RIGHT NEXT TO THE CROCK POT AND GEORGE FOREMAN GRILLS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.