1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

why poor attendance at WSRC Fall Classic?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ljutic1964, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ljutic1964

Ljutic1964 Member

Was at the Fall Classic at the WSRC in Sparta IL for entire program. Attendance was poor to say the least. Why?

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

1. Traditionally, this area (southern Illinois) is not prime time for small shoots. Everybody that still wants to shoot is saving up for the MO. Fall Hcp. which, of course started today.

2. At this moment there are so many gun clubs throwing registered targets in the St. Louis Metro, Metro East and Southern Illinois area they have started to bump in to each others dates. It's a problem that's going to take some coordination between each state around St. Louis, IF they get together.

I think these two scenarios about sums it up.

3. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

how many squads?

Matt Woodson

4. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

BECAUSE THE GRAND SUCKED

5. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

The weather conditions and the timing of the event close to the MO Fall Handicap was a contributing factor. Saturday was great weather in the Morning but the afternoon there was rain.

I think again that the clubs are throwing registered targets (what the shooters want) so there is a chance that shoots will overlap. Oh and Highland has a shoot this weekend!

Ronbo

6. Ljutic1964

Ljutic1964 Member

Thursday and Friday they had approx 10 squads. Sat and Sun they had approx 15. I would have thought that being right before the MO Fall Handicap would have drawn in those traveling, giving them a reason to stop by and shoot in IL also. There were a few of those in attendance but the camping grounds were basically a ghost town. I didn't realize that there were other clubs in the region shooting also.

Tony Jones

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

The Fall Classic shoot at Middletown OH was also down last week. If Matt Woodson would have been at Middletown with a large supply of raincoats, he would have made some money.

This has been an unusual year. Many larger shoots increased attendance over last year and many had a significant decline in attendance. I wish I were smart enough to figure out why some went up and others went down.

Pat Ireland

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Guess you could ask WPT?

9. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I see the same thing in my local sporting clays tournaments. I think the economy is affecting people. I heard yesterday that 42 states lost more jobs than were created. Only government jobs are growing and the private sector is under attack by the Dems. Government jobs are created by taking money from the people. Taxes are going to have to go up to pay for the Dems programs. This is how politics relates to shooting. Not only is there the fear that they will come after our guns or ammo, but they can also destroy our shooting sports by taking away our jobs and money. This is why friends don't let friends vote for Demoncrats.

10. wopahoe

wopahoe Member

I think it was a matter of timing. The 2nd week of Sept. would be a good time to have the Fall Classic. The 1st week of Sept.would let the dove hunters do their thing and then the trapshooters could get started on targets for the following year on the second week. This year was hurt by the weather forecast, which was right for rain on Thursday threating rain for every day but Sunday.Just my two cents. RON

11. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

Well I didnt even know about it. I never got a program, and I live in Missouri. Did they send out programs????

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

They did send out programs(skimpy little program) but i'm not sure what mailing list they used for i talked to alot of shooters that never recieved one. I agree with Ronbo as well as some others takes on why such low attendance but must say you have to ADVERTISE ADVERTISE ADVERTISE and then give shooters a reason to come to YOUR shoot instead of somebody elses shoot. All American Points is one way to attract the Big Guns on their way to the MO Fall Handicap. The money points and prizes have to be there combined with good weather.----Matt

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

What are the stats on registered targets shot in target year 2009 and how many yearly membership renewals were received by the ATA?

How many shooters registered targets?

How do these numbers compare to each of the last five years?

Is any trend related to the economy or to the popularity of registered trapshooting?

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

No one is going to drive that far to shoot at a small shoot . Last weekend a SMALL local club had a two day program 17 squades on sunday for just doubles . Bottom line no one lives within driving distance (no shooters)

15. Hauser

Hauser Member

Big Heap

I don’t know for sure but I’m not aware that the ATA publishes yearly data such as targets shot, active members, category shooters, ages, and trends. I know Trap and Field publishes the yearly average book but beyond that I don’t think the ATA publishes a “yearly status report”.

Jerry Hauser

16. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

If they want to have a bigger shoot, there has to be advertising, and a good reaon to come to that shoot. Give some good prizes and or money. Used to be there were cars, guns and lots of other things given. These things entice a shooter to take a chance on winning. No money or decent prizes, why bother, especially with the fall hcp so close to that shoot.

bob

17. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I agree with Matt, if they want to bump up attendance at WSRC, have All American points for every shoot - with the "new" changes to category a lot of folks would have shot at the WSRC!

Note: it's not easy buying prizes for a small shoot and breaking even.

TNCoach

18. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I never understood the logic of planning events directly before a "major" shoot. The idea was that the "motorcoach" crowd would show up on their way to the "big shoot" and attendance would boom. Those traveling shooters did/do not ever make a shoot succesful. The average working class upper middle class shooter saved his dough for attending a couple days at the Fall Handicap this week. If the Fall Handicap is up or down it will likely be because of the drive-in crowd, not the campers. Honestly, I did not even know there was a shoot at Sparta last weekend until I saw this thread.

19. zinger

zinger Member

they can't give AA points to a shoot with 10 squads!

20. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

Yeah....lets give AA points for 'winning' a trophy at a 40 shooter shoot. Amazing the stuff people are thinking....the 200 shooter 'satellite grands' have already cheapened All American attainment as it is. Wow. Here we go again....trophies, points, ribbons, kisses, for anyone and everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.