1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Poligamy?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kolared person, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

Women are wonderful creatures and we can not live without them, but they are always a challenge and are very expensive. Some things we need a lot of (like guns) but one good woman is enough!

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

That's "polygamy."

And I can barely afford the one I have. Why would I strap myself with another one????

3. kysmith

kysmith TS Member

I think it's all in the training. :D

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

They are a Cult and Cult's brainwash their people to believe and do what they want them to. Sorry but I am not a fan of LDS

5. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

The question should really be "why NOT polygamy?"

Monogamy is not a natural behavior for mammals. In humans, it's a contrived state of affairs that organized religions are largely responsible for perpetuating. Male mammals alway seek to deposit their genes with as many females as possible.

Morgan

6. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

The penalty for having more than one wife is having more than one mother-in-law!

LA

7. Pugs

Pugs TS Member

I think King Solomon had the answer. I think that, according to the Bible, King Solomon had 1000 wives. One day King Solomon was asked by one of his subjects why he need 1000 wives. King Solomon replied that by having 1000 wives that when he went home at the end of a long hard day he could be pretty sure that at least one, maybe two, would be in a good mood.

8. gotbass

gotbass Member

I'm offended by those that highjack this thread to bash LDS when the poligamy sp issue is an FLDS issue which is not an LDS belief.. Sorry, well over 100 years ago don't count. If that is the best you have, well let's hear what the real issue is. Mike

9. gotbass

gotbass Member

Maybe they should hitch up their big boy pants and get on with it.

10. Juno

Juno TS Member

Joseph Smith was the founder. He found the "Gold plates" in New York, which he translated the book of Mormon. Then after he was done, God came and took the plates up to Heaven. Joseph Smith believed in polygamy. In fact his wife divorced him because of that. Though the LDS may not believe in polygamy on earth, they do believe a man can have many wives in Heaven. These are just facts about the faith, thats all. This is in no way meant to be offensive to anyone!

11. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Juno, "In fact his wife divorced him because of that." "LDS gets all their secret crap from the Masons." Juno you need to get your facts straight! This is false information. 10Tenner

12. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Polygamy is defined as having too many wives.

Monogamy sometimes has the same definition.

HBT

13. Juno

Juno TS Member

I will leave my post above so that all may see the patial inequity of my comments. For the most part, what I said was correct. Though what I said about Joseph Smiths wife divorcing him was incorrect. Although she was opposed to polygamy, she did stay with him in spite of his infidelity. I was wrong.

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I don't care how great it is getting some different, it ain't worth the risk of them having PMS at the same time.

15. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Whether or not the teachings of the LDS church are hooey or not is really not germane to the issue. Lots of people believe lots of things for lots of reasons. All of the LDS members I've met were stellar US Citizens and that's all I really want from my neighbor. It's a free country and I imagine that my orthodox Christian faith seems pretty weird to a whole bunch of folks.

As to the Polygamy issue, well that's a horse of a different color. If a man and a few women want to cohabit and call it plural marriage so be it. But dang it, if one or more of those women files for welfare as a single mother as was the case in all of those Texas women, then I'm pissed. That's fraud, plain and simple and I want somebody to pay for it.

16. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I should also mention that marrying off children as young as 13 and 14 and then bedding them is child abuse and a sex crime. The people who both do that and aid those that do that deserve the harshest punishment we can meet out.

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Abusing children is a heinous crime. But, <i>so far</i>, there is no hard evidence showing that actually happened with this religious sect. Indeed, the initial call from a child claiming abuse may have been a false complaint by a woman in Colorado posing as a child. In other words, don't light up your torches just yet.

18. abiezer

abiezer Guest

A bit of a snooze with Janet Reno not at the helm.
    We won't be seeing any congressional Ruby Ridge or Waco type hearings,
    No snipers,tanks or CS gas on nightly news footage.
    Guess i'll just go back to watchin WEC cagefighting.

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Why is it not allowed to have more than one wife at a time? I am a free man and if a number of women want to be married to me at the same time, and their all adults, why not? Who made the decision one can only have one spouse? How did this come to be?

I think the law about having only one spouse at a time, if everyone is consenting is outdated and should be revoked.

20. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"Why is it not allowed to have more than one wife at a time? I am a free man and if a number of women want to be married to me at the same time, and their all adults, why not? Who made the decision one can only have one spouse? How did this come to be?"

You can't discuss the illegality of polygamy without also discussing the part organized religions have played in its being held illegal in the US...from the above document written by a sociology professor:

<blockquote>..."There was another important effect of the struggle against Mormon polygamy: the Supreme Court based its rejection of polygamy on the claim that the United States is a Christian nation. In the nineteenth century, it was a legal commonplace to claim that Christianity was part of the common law of the United States. It was only in the past fifty years or so that this claim has been seriously challenged. Today, no court would declare that America is a Christian nation.

So, why, exactly, is polygamy illegal in the United States?

Something like the original Utah law would be rejected because it allowed men to have multiple wives, but not the reverse. Equal protection would take care of that statute. But suppose a neutral law were written, allowing both polygyny (multiple wives) and polyandry (multiple husbands)? William Galston, in Public Matters, notes that the Defense of Marriage Act, which was written to prohibit a federal recognition of same-sex marriages, specifies that legal marriage joins one man and one woman. If the law is challenged successfully, both the man and woman part, and the one and one part, could be rejected..."</blockquote>

Morgan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.