1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why only factory ammo for Kolar?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Jun 12, 2013.

1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I'm looking at a Kolar trap gun and noticed the following stamped on the barrel;

USE FACTORY LOADED TARGET AMMUNITION ONLY

Is this a common statement or is Kolar alone in this? I don't recall seeing it before.

Clearly nobody could prove I used a reload in a gun, but what could be the purpose for this kind of warning?

Larry

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

My TC has the same on its barrels. I guess it is just a CYA deal. Other makers will void any warrantee if handloaded ammo is used. It has to do with the possibility of handloaded ammo being out of the max pressure spec.

You have to admit there are many guys out there that shouldn't be reloading ammo.

But I would dissagree about someone being able to prove you have been using reloaded ammo - particularly if the gun blew up and a law suit was involved. Not to worry though, the Kolar is as strong as any of them and will shoot handloads for a lifetime, you just need to be able to accept any and all liability should something go wrong as a result.

3. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The first question their lawyer will ask is "Have you EVER shot a reloaded shell in your gun/". If the answer is yes, which for most shooters it would be, they are off the legal hook for paying you any compensation if your gun blows up. They will contend that since you shot reloaded ammo, it's possible that overloaded shells weakened the barrel sufficiently to cause problems later.

The "Use only factory ammo." disclaimer is legal stuff to avoid lawsuit/liability payments. That being said, I think you would have to go pretty far to hurt a Kolar. I don't believe I have ever heard of one letting go!

Bob Schultz

4. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

I am guessing that Wolfram is correct in his post above which states that Kolars are strong. The chamber/monoblock area of my Kolar Single Barrel Trap is WAY thicker width-wise than any shotgun that I have owned. It is so thick that I had to send a newly built Colorado Custom case back to the maker to have it replaced with a new one as it would not fit into the standard barrel channel (it was no problem having it repaced and I am very pleased with the case).

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Damn lawyers as always.

6. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

LOL...Bob....you probably don't remember the thread, but there was a kolar in Anchorage that absolutely let go a few years ago.

The owner of the gun shot ONLY factory ammo. He'd let YOU shoot his gun anytime you wanted to, but you HAD to shoot his factory shells. He'd give you a box of shells...but you weren't going to shoot reloads.

Anyway, the barrel on the O/U split out about the last 13 inches on the bottom barrel. Casual inspection (mine) revealed that the barrel was too thin. I would have guessed it to be a lot thicker.

The rest of the story? we have no idea why it happened. Manufacturing defect? Hot factory shell - he shot only Remington STS, for what its worth, since we're naming names here.

Kolar refused to work with him on the new barrel, too....

But to be fair, I wasn't involved in any way in the negotiations, so I only have the shooters side of the story.

7. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Jeff P ... I heard the other side of that story from Jeff Mainland and his version is quite different from your friend's version. Apparently, your friend demanded a new barrel for free or he would sue ... so, of course that ends any negotiations as lawyers become involved and your friend has no new barrel. Bill Malcolm

8. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

sts1100, I don't know anything regarding the disposition of the barrel. Bill Malcolm

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Bill...you might be right, I know he had protracted discussions with Kolar, and to the best of my knowledge (I've moved out of state since it all happened) he didn't have his barrel back when I left.

To be clear, I'm not blaming Kolar. I own a set of their tubes and consider them a first rate company. Hey, manufacturing defects happen - could be the shell, could be the barrel.

I wouldn't be suprised if it went down just the way you say...

Jeff

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Silver Seitz says the same thing on their Bbl, as well as some other Gun Mfgrs.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

Im with Jeff P on this one.

12. Avatar

The problem is trap shotguns often get shot a lot--over a lot of years. I'm read the articles but I'm not sure anyone really understands exactly what happens to the various flavors of steel over time as the barrels are subjected to perhaps hundreds of thousands of shots over thousands of heat-up-cool-down cycles. Then, you have the fact that a lot of older barrels have been altered--forcing cones lengthened, back bored, chokes installed, etc. I can see how Kolar might have arguments against it being a manufacturing defect. That said, if the question ever got in front of a jury, Kolar would probably wish it had settled.

13. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

I don't think the barrels had 200 rounds thru them.

14. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I thought that Carol Inman picked up a Kolar...but I could be wrong and it was a krieghoff. She bought it used, whatever it was.

And the gun in question was fairly new....it might have had more than 200 through it, but it wasn't 2,000 by any means. Practically out of the box new in trapshooting orders of magnitude.

Stuff happens. Could have been a bad shell. could have been a manufacturing defect.

Not sure how they got sideways on the path getting it resolved. Could have been the shooter, could have been Kolar. Probably some of both.

15. trident

trident Member

Carol has been shooting a K-80 for about 2 years and is shooting it lights out. A.B.

16. RAScott

RAScott Member

There are some big dogs that shoot kolars,Tank Lumsford, Mitch Loveless, Mallory Stanton,Those 3 come to mind right off the bat. Mitch's is an older version I bet he has at least 100,000 rounds through his. I have one. I am not a big dog by any means, but I have at least 40,000 thru mine. Looks like new. shoots a tight pattern, I shoot both new and reloads ALL the time. 1 oz loads 1 1/8 oz, light, heavy loads.

If you go out to a large shoot Ohio or the grand, there are many people shooting kolars. They are American made and built like a tank.

Bob S

17. 3357

3357 Member

From my miniscule perspective as a "Kolar Owner" (TS) the boys at Kolar are prima-donnas. I had a new Kolar fitted and took delivery through Joel Etchen (who was/is a consumate profesional through the deal). The gun was piercing primers on multiple brands of "Factory Loaded" shells and was obviously too long. A call to Kolar resulted in a laugh and advisory that if I wanted them to do anything I would need to return the entire gun to them at my expense. Rather than endure that process I was allowed to purchase a new firing pin for $24 for my new gun and proceed at my own peril. The new firing pin was .005 shorter than the pin that came with my new gun and did not pierce primers as the original pin did. I shortened the old pin to the new pin specs and have had no problems.

Being laughed at after a 7k purchase is rather insulting in my book. I rectified the problem on my own, at my expense, and Kolar lost a fan and gained a critic. My Kolar now resides in my safe due to drastic reduction in resale value and I am happily shooting a Ljutic who is happy to provide support at no cost if needed.

While I am aware ther are a lot of dedicated Kolar fans out there, it is important to note that Kolar is just another gun maker. Some have been treated very well by Kolar, some (like me) have been treated with disrespect and disdain. My experiance with Krieghoff and Ljutic have been nothing short of first rate, so I know some companies understand customer service and Kolar does not always get it.

From my perspective "Factory Loaded Shells Only" on a Kolar gun is simply a pre-curser as to thier attitude and posture toward thier customers. Many peoples experience will/have varied from mine.

As a purchaser you should consider any transaction with both eyes wide open.

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have no reason to doubt what you say about Kolar but it is the exception to the other dealings I have heard about. I hope I have better luck if and when I need to use their services. Sorry it went that way for you.

19. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I started this thread because I hadn't seen that marking, not because I had any problems with Kolar. In fact I had a Kolar T/S to shoot for a couple of weeks last summer (thanks again, Jack) and it certainly whet my appetite, so to speak. I'll be "shopping" at The Grand this year and I know for certain my feet will automatically track to the Kolar store. I'm not saying I'm buying for sure, but I will have a few possible trades in the trunk - just in case there's a deal that can't be passed.

I now have a better understanding why gun makers stamp that warning on barrels. Thanks for all the input.

Larry

20. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

That warning on the barrels still won't fix the trigger problems they have also.

Search tags for this page

kolar trap guns factory