1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why not Winchester 101 American Flyer

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

the 101 american flyer is one of the classiest guns i've seen to date. Not too much engraving, and gold in all the right places. I am fairly confident in saying a release pull trigger can be built for one. When I went pigeon shooting in PA, I saw one of these guns being used by an older gentleman, but probably 60% of the guns were perazzi, 30% krieghoff, a handful of berettas, a couple fabbris, and a Browning ST-100 (the adjustable rib Superposed). They would probably make fine pigeon guns, but technology in barrel tuning, chokes, ect has come a LONG way since they were introduced, and a serious pigeon shooter would be better served with a perazzi or krieghoff that could produce more efficient patterns (not to mention the american flyers only came in 28" and 29.5" barrels, and most shooters are using at least 30" barrels, with a majority using 32", and some using 34" sporting clay guns (technology of the day can make a 32" overbore barrel swing and weigh like a 28" std bore barrel).

2. becraft

becraft TS Member

I used one for trap and shot very well with it.They shoot very high. I had a release on the bottom and a pull on the top.I don't shoot doubles so I can't say anything about that. Don't shoot live birds either.If you shoot one enough the forearm may crack.

3. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

I put about 136K rounds thru one at Sporting and pigeons, I put two sets of firing pins and one ejector anvil in that time. I still shoot it occasionally but my Wife has taken it over, calls it her gun ;^), so I mostly just get to clean it.

They are pretty heavy (mine weighs just over 9#)but if it fits, it's a shooter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.