1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why not use Paypal???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rick979, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I have used my Paypal account to buy and sell over 800 items and every trasaction was perfect. When I buy a gun or gun parts I want to get it quickly with the least legwork possible. Sending a check or money order takes a minimum of 3 days which often delays shipment by the same 3 days. Then when the seller banks the check on Friday you are lucky if they send you the item before Monday or Tuesday. If I pay for an item with Paypal early on a business day the seller could go ahead with packaging and shipping the same day. Please don't tell me it is the 1.5-2.5% that Paypal charges in fees as this is very easy to negotiate on either end. Please don't tell me Paypal does not allow useage to pay for firearms as this is easily circumvented by sending the money for "other goods and services". So why is it that with the exception of one deal this month no one on TS.Com seems to have a Paypal account. I bought over $9,000 worth of guns and parts on TS.Com the last 30 days and would have liked to use this system to pay. Additionally, if I am selling on this site I will gladly allow payment via Paypal since I get my money faster and it would put a stop to "the check is in the mail". (and we all know what often happens when we hear or see this). Thanks, Rick Kipp

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

The fact that paypal is very anti-gun might have something to do with it. The other is the fact that it is easier to set up a scam with paypal. I know they got me for $400 a couple of years ago. Never again!

ec90t

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Guns are not covered under the Paypal terms and conditions of their money-back guarantee. Take that for what it is worth.

iii. Requirements for Honoring Reimbursement Requests. These requirements will determine if reimbursement requests can be honored under the Money Back Guarantee program:

3. Specific item exclusions. Items or situations which fit any of the following exclusions are not eligible for protection under the Guarantee:

e. Firearms, explosives, or ammunition of any sort including but not limited to guns, rifles, and bombs.

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

It is no easier to scam with Paypal than it is with a bogus MO or cashier's check. They send you an email when the money is deposited to your account.

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

As ec90t mentions; PayPal and ebay, (who owns PayPal), are in no way gun friendly. I have a PayPal account and I have not had a problem with PayPal. However their policies do not condone gun purchases. If you circumvent their policies and the deal goes "South"; PayPal will in no way be in your corner. Ed

6. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Timb99: Recovery under the Paypal Buyer Protection plan concerns the person SENDING the money not the person receiving it. SO...my question still stands.."Why don't more TS.Com users accept Paypal for pament??" It makes no sense to me.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Been using Paypal since 2000 and never had a problem. It is not to be used for guns however. I have a Paypal credit debit card, when I sell the money goes on the card and I can use it instantly or if I want the cash, I transfer to my bank acct and it usually takes a couple days. They have millions of customers that are satisfied. It is as safe as your bank maybe more so. I dont trust my bank anymore, they are in bigger trouble than people realize

8. rick979

rick979 Active Member

When you send a $5,000 cashier's check to someone you don't personallly know 2,500 miles away what kind of "Buyer's Protection Plan" do you have in that case? ZIP!!!

9. 50calshooter

50calshooter TS Member

If you suport gun control use Paypal thats simple. Just like buying foreign primers support the guy who wants to take your gun.

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Rick,

Are you going to use paypal for the purchase of that new p-gun?

ec90t

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Rick,

You can, of course, do as you please. Nobody is stopping you.

Many folks who buy and sell guns, ammunition, and gun accessories shy away from Paypal as they, and their parent company eBay, are less than "Second Amendment friendly."

eBay has not allowed guns on their website since, I believe 1999.

Also, after the Virginia Tech shootings, eBay publicly announced they would no longer list gun accessories, since the perpetrator of that dreadful event purchased a couple of handgun magazines (the kind that hold cartridges, not the kind you read) off eBay.

Your mileage may vary.

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I have had great success with PayPal. I have a phone number for them and this has been terrifically handy.

I've bought and sold well over 1000 times on eBay and PayPal is used most often.

Just recently I had three disputed with no goods received, and claims of new goods that were used, and one that was severaly damamged in shipment. PayPal refunded ALL my funds. You just need to get in under the 20-day period to make a dispute.

Whiz

13. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

Pay Pal sucks

14. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Ect90: Yes, I would use Paypal to buy the new P Gun. It's a heck of a lot easier then going to the bank to buy a cashier's check and then to the post office....and then I get to wait until the seller SAYS he rec'd the funds. Heck yes, I would buy a gun with Paypal, sell a gun and accept Paypal..you bet! Paypal being "anti-gun"?? Who knows?? But maybe the president of your local bank is "anti-gun" also....221: No such thing as a "dumb question" but it appears there is such a thing as a "dumb answer"!!

15. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Rick: Having been a mathematics, physics, and programming teacher/professor for about 20 years (before I opted to head into administration), we were told to say there was no such thing as a "dumb question."

Well, I'm retired now and can safely say there were LOTS of dumb questions out there, I just didn't want to hurt their feelings.

HA!

Whiz

16. rick979

rick979 Active Member

ok whiz.... you win!!
    Best Regards, Rick ... Texas

17. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I sold an item on eBay. Sales price was only $50 but I didn't receive the money in my Paypal account. I called the buyer and he assured me his credit card had been charged. I called eBay and after being on hold for an hour they told me I had to manually request the funds be transferred. That was a month ago - I'm still trying to get someone at eBay to explain how to "manually" get the funds.

Secondly, when an item is paid for by PayPal eBay will hold the funds and play the bank float for up to 10 days. They claim it's the bank's fault. I've worked in a bank for 30+ years. I know their statement is incorrect.

Lastly, I have had two incidents when my eBay account was "hacked" into - once someone tried to sell my item under a different eBay sales number. The second time someone hacked into my PayPal account and "took" $250. I contacted eBay and asked about it. They claimed they had just discovered it and were refunding my money ( which they did - but it took two weeks to get the money back. )

I subsequently closed my bank account ( the one I'd had for 20 years ) figuring whoever got to it was doing a test run and might try to get more the next time.

PayPal - not perfect and I'm not sure you can logically argue it safer than a bank cashier's check or postal money order !

And the comment about eBay being anti-gun -definitely. You can no longer buy empty shells, gun parts, etc.

Raised their fees when the new owners took over.

Give me time and I'll come up with some more negative comments.

18. cafowler

cafowler Member

Like anything, I think to many buyers have figured ways to work the system, and extort price reductions from sellers. I've heard Ebay changed their shipping requirements recently to keep sellers from doing the same thing. I'm fed up with both Ebay & PayPal, and don't think I'll use either again. There are just to many lib's in this country that think they have to get over on someone else or some Gov't assistance program to get ahead.

Ebay - The worlds largest garage sale. One man's garbage is another man's treasure, unless it really is garbage.

19. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Paypal has a large office in Omaha NE only 2 blocks from the large Cabelas store. Some of the Paypal employees are hunters and shooters, ... at least that is what they have told me when I picked up their presses at their houses. I saw an auction for a Mec press and noticed that it required all bidders to have a Paypal account. This usually means I have fewer bidders since some bidders WON'T bid on these if they have had a bad experience with Paypal. Then I noticed that in the auction it stated that the seller worked for Paypal/Ebay. It was just across town, so I emailed and asked if I could pick up locally. I paid a couple dollars more than I had planned on just so I could meet the seller. We spent hours talking in the front entry way of his house. He works as an account manager for Paypal. They treat it like a high tech computer company especially with regard to security. He cannot even access his own account or someone he is buying from or selling to. He did state that while Paypal is not gun friendly, money talks. A very large customer got mad at PP over their politics and how it was effecting his web business. He threated to refuse to accept any Paypal transactions and post that they were anti gun on his web site. Paypal looked at how much money was flowing through his account and said they would be able to accommodate his needs. He is still using Paypal for the time being.
    I was asked to go with some technical people on a tour at Paypal. I took off my NRA hat, pulled my jeans over my cowboy boots and tucked in my shirt. The tour was interesting but they are a very restrictive company. Many rules to be followed that are always changing.
    Is this where I do the Ebay rant? I will post on a different posting.

20. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Example>>>If I buy an 1100 stock and pay the seller via Paypal the seller gets the money notification within seconds via email. That is a lot faster and more secure than the old "check is in the mail". You know immediately if the item is sold or not. This allows the seller to go ahead and ship the stock that same day and I get my item 3-5 days faster. If I want to I can elect to Paypal the seller a few extra bucks to cover the Paypal fee. Mrkslc: Your fee projection is way wrong. The fees are based on a declining scale and do not approach 3% on an expensive transaction like in your post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

why not to use paypal